Sorry, I don't understand issue

• 13 September 2021
  • 3 replies

This issue has been posted again a few months ago and I am having the exact same issue. I could not see any resolution to this problem and the topic was closed. Since I am experiening the same issue with the google assistance giving nightmares to my children I have copied and pasted the original question re-opening the issue

“I have programmed the ‘Goodnight Google’ command to turn my bedroom lights off, and to run some ambient background music until I fall asleep. That all sounds lovely, doesn’t it?

I thought so, too. However since I bought my Sonos One to replace my Google Home, when the ambient music (chirping crickets in a field, for anyone interested) finishes an hour or two later, usually in the middle of REM sleep, the Google Assistant suddenly screams “I’m sorry, I don’t understand!”, waking me up in the middle of the night, only for me to go through the entire process again if I make the mistake of using the ‘Goodnight Google’ command. It might make sense if I had asked Google to do something, but I’m usually unconscious, and my cats don’t speak English (that I know of. I have seen Dolittle - terrible movie, don’t bother - but it’s a work of fiction after all. Isn’t it? Cat’s cant really talk to Google, can they?). While you’re pondering that, I happen to find it very annoying, so if you or anyone you may know may know why it might be doing this, I’d be keen for a solution.

NB: I’ve just bought another Sonos One (SL) so my nightmares will now be in stereo.”

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Lol, I was thinking the same last night about my cat. But exactly the same but no bedtime lullabies, just randomly at around 2am, shouting the same "I don't understand". Causing me to jump out of my skin.

It's happened once or twice before but is in frequent. My guess something with the internet connection. I know the Google homes sometimes lightup if the internet is down.

Hi Grahamhosking,

Thank you for your response. In my case the “Sorry, I don’t understand” shout is not irregular but rather regular, apporximately 1 hour, or so, after performing a “goodnight google” routine. I would think that this is mainly a google assistant issue but I could not see any solution when searching the web. There was even an entry of someone stating that Google denied the issue but I know that the problem is real as it keeps awaking my children. I have tried various suggestions on solutions that I found when searching the web. One, that probably was some type of joke, suggested to change the accent to some other English version, like Canadian English, but I can assure you that these do not work. Since I could not find any workable solution I revived this older post on the sonos Community.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

This happened to me a while back. For my situation this is what I found. The part of my goodnight routine that was causing the “Sorry I don't understand” was the the sleep sounds section of the routine. The routine would play the google Assistant sleep sound and after an hour when it stopped, the assistant would make the announcement and wake the house and neighbors. To resolve I removed the sleep sound and added manual string “Play Sleep Sounds Ocean on Bedroom Sonos.” This resolved the issue for me.