Answered

Sonos TV Control Turns ON TV When Google Assistant is Asked to Turn It Off

I have a Sonos Arc, which is connected to my LG TV (lg65nano956na) using eARC. I have Google Assistant setup on the ARC, and everything is working fine. I am able to ask Google Assistant to Turn ON or OFF the TV, using voice commands - where Google Assistant then uses the Sonos TV Control Integration to execute the command, as my TV itself does not appear as a smart device in the Google Home app.

I am however facing one isse, that if the TV is already “OFF” and Google Assistant is asked to turn it “OFF”, then it turns ON. This in itself is not an issue (as it does not make sense to do).

The problem arrives when I use the “Turn OFF everything” command, to turn OFF all my smart devices. In this case, all my smart devices turn OFF, including my TV.. unless the TV is already “OFF”, in which case Sonos TV Control turns it back on.

Any idea why this happens and if there is a way to solve it? 

icon

Best answer by Eblermeister 7 June 2022, 10:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

It sounds like the CEC command for both ON and OFF on your particular TV is a ‘toggle’ switch and so performs like a single hardware button on the TV Remote (I presume) - I don’t think Sonos can do much about that issue, if that’s what LG decided to do with your model of TV - I’m sure that Sonos is correctly sending both the ‘ON’/‘OFF’ commands, but your TV manufacturer may need to change it with a firmware update.. my guess would be that if the manufacturer did decide to fix it, they would likely remove the CEC command to switch ‘OFF’ the TV and leave that task to the TV remote only, probably over its Bluetooth or Infrared connection.

I think, I would just leave it as is ..and perhaps try to work around the issue with a Google ‘routine’ that perhaps powers off all, except the TV, but maybe see if the LG Support Desk Staff can assist, as most LG models have a hidden engineers menu, which may (perhaps) allow the "power off” CEC command to be disabled - but that’s just a bit of a guess on my part.

Thanks for the quick reply! Had a feeling that it was likely something like that. Will try to explore a bit further in relation to wether or not it can somehow be changed on the TV. Otherwise not do anything as it is not the biggest deal - just a small quality of life thing ;)

It sounds like the CEC command for both ON and OFF on your particular TV is a ‘toggle’ switch and so performs like a single hardware button on the TV Remote (I presume) - I don’t think Sonos can do much about that issue, if that’s what LG decided to do with your model of TV - I’m sure that Sonos is correctly sending both the ‘ON’/‘OFF’ commands, but your TV manufacturer may need to change it with a firmware update.. my guess would be that if the manufacturer did decide to fix it, they would likely remove the CEC command to switch ‘OFF’ the TV and leave that task to the TV remote only, probably over its Bluetooth or Infrared connection.

I think, I would just leave it as is ..and perhaps try to work around the issue with a Google ‘routine’ that perhaps powers off all, except the TV, but maybe see if the LG Support Desk Staff can assist, as most LG models have a hidden engineers menu, which may (perhaps) allow the "power off” CEC command to be disabled - but that’s just a bit of a guess on my part.