Answered

Sonos Roam (not plugged in) wakes itself from sleep - drains battery

• 12 April 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi… I‘ve had a Roam for awhile now and it has worked great. I had it set up with Alexa. I keep it sitting on the Sonos charging pad. When I’m using it, it’s usually off the pad. When finished, l leave it off the pad. It goes to sleep in about 30 minutes. And it stays in sleep mode until I’m ready to use it again.

A few days ago I set it up to use Google Assistant. Everything seemed fine. But now I’m noticing when I leave it off the charger and it goes to sleep, it will wake itself up (status lights go on). I didn’t do anything. It will go back to sleep after 10 for so minutes, but it seems to come on again by itself at some point. Over the course of a day, I think this is happening over and over, and this behavior is causing the battery to drain. 

To test, I kept the Roam next to me (not on charger) while I worked. It went to sleep. But about 30-45 minutes later, I heard a Sonos One (with Google Assistant) I also have in the room beep on it’s own (not because it heard the wake phrase… I don’t know why it beeped). At that time, the Roam woke up. 

I guess my question is this…. Are then any issues folks have seen with the Roam and Google Assistant where the speaker will wake itself from sleep with no interaction from the user?

Thanks much in advance….. Brian

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 12 April 2022, 20:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Probably it’s just checking for updates, or IP address lease-renewal, or someone opened the Sonos App on the network perhaps?.. To help stop the battery drain you could enable its ‘battery saver’ feature. See this link:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/5085

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thanks for the comments. It’s possible that it was doing always this -- waking from sleep constantly when not being charged -- previously when I was using Alexa. Perhaps using Google Assistant doesn’t have anything to do with it. But it does constantly wake up on its own when not being charged, and no one has opened the Sonos app. Something else must be triggering it. I’m pretty sure it wasn’t doing this previously. Oh well…. It’s essentially a non-issue for me since I usually keep it on the charging pad. But there does seem to be an issue here. While in sleep mode, it wakes up constantly, which drains the battery rather quickly. I think it’s best to keep it on the charger, or turn it off (maybe via the battery saver setting), if you don’t plan to use it for a few hours.