Answered

Sonos One Play Apple Music using Google Assistant

Hi Folks,

I recently got an email from Sonos saying that we can now play music from Apple Music using Google Assistant. However, whenever I try to play music using my Sonos One I get an error "Okay, playing music using Apple Music... I'm sorry there was an error with Sonos One". Can anyone help me out with this? The email states that the Google Assistant integration leverages the Apple Music subscription using the Sonos App, so there shouldn't be any issues. Below is a picture of the email.

Thank you,
Phillip K

icon

Best answer by Ryan S 8 July 2019, 19:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Badge

I just cancelled my sub to apple music and got one to youtube music.  Problem solved.  And I can use YouTube music on my apple devices.  Go figure.

Damn that’s a bit extreme. I personally just stopped using Google Assistant.

Hands down, an Apple issue.

Honestly, I’m not sure. Though Apple is known for not being super … cooperative … with competitors / other companies in general, I’ve also noticed Google isn’t really rushing to make the user experience  of Apple devices owners using Google services excellent.

At the end of the day though, I don’t really care who’s fault it is frankly, I just would like to be able to ask Google Assistant to play Apple Music...

I just cancelled my sub to apple music and got one to youtube music.  Problem solved.  And I can use YouTube music on my apple devices.  Go figure.

Apple needs to loosen the reigns if they want to stay competitive.  While Sonos messed up with the email, Apple is messing up by making it difficult for their competitors to integrate with their services.

Hands down, an Apple issue.

Cheers.

Badge
Anyway, I would like to stream apple music to google home and sonos because I own them both. To sonos is much easier than to google home.
thats not true @User663670. Sonos has the ability to invoke music services that cannot be added to Google Assistant.

the integration is available TODAY from the Sonos App hence that is also why sonos responds with “Okay playing music from Apple Music” followed by an error. This makes me believe the Sonos platform can invoke the Apple music service but they deliberately block it due to politics between apple and google. Look at the description Sonos provides below, all of these services are not available via Google Assistant but somehow work on Sonos.

Sonos:

“You can ask your Google Assistant to play music from the following services on Sonos, but they can’t be directly added to your Google Assistant app.”
  • TIDAL
  • TuneIn
  • iHeartRadio

And what if one of the conditions of Google working with Sonos on the implementation was that Apple Music would not be supported?
thats not true @User663670. Sonos has the ability to invoke music services that cannot be added to Google Assistant.

the integration is available TODAY from the Sonos App hence that is also why sonos responds with “Okay playing music from Apple Music” followed by an error. This makes me believe the Sonos platform can invoke the Apple music service but they deliberately block it due to politics between apple and google. Look at the description Sonos provides below, all of these services are not available via Google Assistant but somehow work on Sonos.

Sonos:

“You can ask your Google Assistant to play music from the following services on Sonos, but they can’t be directly added to your Google Assistant app.”
  • TIDAL
  • TuneIn
  • iHeartRadio
Come on Sonos, first Google Assistant was a year late, now it's here without Apple Music support. Love sonos, but you need to lift your game.

Edit / On further research looks like this issue lands more at the feet of Google + Apple than with Sonos.

Yeah, unlikely you'll ever see Apple Music on anything from Google. They're bitter rivals. Don't look for Amazon Music on Google's voice platform, either.
Come on Sonos, first Google Assistant was a year late, now it's here without Apple Music support. Love sonos, but you need to lift your game.

Edit / On further research looks like this issue lands more at the feet of Google + Apple than with Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi @phillipkujawa, that part of the email was in error. The team is aware and looking into what happened as to why that went out to some Sonos owners. Most of the information in there is correct, all of it aside from the Apple Music mention. Google Assistant isn't able to start playback from Apple Music directly on Sonos, however, if you have tracks playing from Apple Music, you can skip, pause, or make other basic changes, such as volume up or down.

I don't have any specifics I can let you in on regarding if Apple Music will be supported on Google Assistant in the future, but we'll be sure to let everyone know if that changes.
jgatie,

This was an email sent to me DIRECTLY from Sonos so if it's incorrect then a lot of people will be upset to know. The email was sent to me from Sonos with the subject: "Sonos now has the Google Assistant". Can someone from Sonos management please respond to this thread. Your marketing department just screwed up royally.

Not sure where that screen came from, but it is directly contradicted by the support document listing the services available via Google Assistant:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3490?language=en_US

You’ll need to add the same music service account to both the Google Assistant and your Sonos system. The following music services are supported on Google Assistant:
  • Google Play Music
  • Spotify
  • YouTube Music
  • Pandora (U.S. only)
  • Deezer (U.S, Canada, U.K., France, Italy, Australia and Germany)
You can ask your Google Assistant to play music from the following services on Sonos, but they can’t be directly added to your Google Assistant app.
  • TIDAL
  • TuneIn
  • iHeartRadio
Not sure where that screen came from, but it is directly contradicted by the support document listing the services available via Google Assistant:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3490?language=en_US

You’ll need to add the same music service account to both the Google Assistant and your Sonos system. The following music services are supported on Google Assistant:
  • Google Play Music
  • Spotify
  • YouTube Music
  • Pandora (U.S. only)
  • Deezer (U.S, Canada, U.K., France, Italy, Australia and Germany)
You can ask your Google Assistant to play music from the following services on Sonos, but they can’t be directly added to your Google Assistant app.
  • TIDAL
  • TuneIn
  • iHeartRadio