Sonos move does not recognise google assistant

• 2 April 2021
  • 3 replies

Sonos move does not recognise google assistant

Ok so I got 2 Sonos move speakers connected to the wifi with the sonos app. I also have Google assistant installed on both of them.

Now recently like 4 days ago I can’t use google to play music on my sonos. Weirder yet when I open the sonos app it says I cant find both sonos devices on the network. I check both speakers were on. I tried different machines phones/tablets same result. Funny thing when I said google commands like “turn lights on/off” it still worked. But when I tried the commands “play top40” it says something along the lines: “Sonos will play top40” followed by “Cannot play”.

I tried to reset the speakers (process of turning them off and on the charger pressing some button). I reconfigured/installed them. I added the speakers again and tried to install google assistant. The first try it works, but when I give the command “play top40” it says again something along the lines: “Sonos will play top40” followed by “Cannot play”. But now it also removed the google assistant from the sonos speaker. So when I try to add the assistant agian, it goes to the google home app but it says: “there is no device available”. I check if it still played radio (to see if it was still connected to the network but that still works fine. 

Frustrated that it still didn’t work I reset the speaker again. I find the speaker, configure it, add, google assistant, I tried the command, and again it says cannot play and booom google assistant is gone. So now im stuck in this endless not working loop. Does anyone have suggestions.

Devices:

2 Sonos moves

1 Sonos account

2 Android phones (all share same account)

1 Android tablet (all share same account)

1 google home hub (1 google account)

1 Wifi network 2.4 ghz. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @Navras, welcome to the Sonos Community!

Would it be possible to reboot your router (turning it off for about 15 seconds before turning back on), all Sonos devices, and your phone? Once everything is back online, if you try adding Google Assistant one more time, does it continue to fail after a single command?

If so, it may be worth checking in the Google Home app Profile > Assistant Settings > Devices, and confirm that the Move’s show up there - with no duplicates.

If everything seems correct here and you’re still having trouble, then I’d recommend reaching out to our Support Team via either live chat or phone call, and they’ll be able to take a closer look at the system and perform some live troubleshooting with you :)

Hi @Navras, welcome to the Sonos Community!

Would it be possible to reboot your router (turning it off for about 15 seconds before turning back on), all Sonos devices, and your phone? Once everything is back online, if you try adding Google Assistant one more time, does it continue to fail after a single command?

If so, it may be worth checking in the Google Home app Profile > Assistant Settings > Devices, and confirm that the Move’s show up there - with no duplicates.

If everything seems correct here and you’re still having trouble, then I’d recommend reaching out to our Support Team via either live chat or phone call, and they’ll be able to take a closer look at the system and perform some live troubleshooting with you :)

Thanks Xander. I tried to reset the router but still no luck. I noticed it goes bonkers when I add both speakers. Like when there’s one connected with google assist it works. The moment I add the second one, no matter the order, the system goes awary. And it can’t execute the “play top 40” command anymore.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @Navras, understood - at this point I’d recommend getting in touch with the Support Team for some further investigation, very strange that you’re only able to get Google Assistant working on a single speaker. 

Let us know how you get on with the Support Team :)