Answered

Sonos Google assistant only works when I have the google assistant app open

• 13 October 2021
  • 5 replies

My Sonos one speaker does hear me say “Hey Google” (because it makes a beep sound when it does) but won’t respond with it’s voice and doesn’t do what I’ve asked it to do. It’s just complete silence after the beep. 

I’ve added the assistant through the Sonos app and added the speaker (and some HUE lights) to my Google home afterwards. 
When I say “Hey Google” whilst I have the Google assistant app open, I can make it play music through Spotify or turn on/off my lights. If the app is closed like it normally would be if you call for the Google assistant, it doesn’t respond. I don’t think this is how the Sonos speaker’s assistant should behave, right? Is there a fix?

I’d like to use my Sonos speaker to turn on some music when I have my iPhone in my pocket.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 19 October 2021, 10:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Hi @Corry P , thanks for your reply. Sadly unplugging the speaker or internet router didn't work. The microphone wasn't muted, as the light on the Sonos speaker is on. I even muted and unmuted to be sure. 

Here's the diagnostic number: 1828670297. Thanks in advance!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Jeroenvb 

Thanks for sending that.

So, in the 3 minutes the speaker was on before you sent the diagnostic, the speaker is reporting having heard the wake word (“Hey Google”) 3 times. As it presumably did nothing asked of it, it looks like the issue is with the speaker’s link to your Google account.

Aside from asking for music playback, do queries about the weather work?

Regardless, please try the following steps:

1. Disable Voice Control in the Sonos app. From the Settings tab, tap Services & Voice and select Google Assistant under Voice. Select the voice-enabled speaker from the list of Sonos Products, and tap Remove the Google Assistant.
  2. Still in the Sonos app, visit Settings > Services & Voice > Add a Voice Assistant.
  3. Select Google Assistant and go through the steps listed in the Google Assistant app.
  4. Test Google Assistant

If that doesn’t help, please try these more aggressive steps:

1. Again disable Voice Control in the Sonos app. From the Settings tab, tap Services & Voice and select Google Assistant under Voice. Select the voice-enabled speaker from the list of Sonos Products, and tap Remove the Google Assistant.
  2. On your iOS or Android device, open the Google Assistant app.
  3. Tap the user icon in the top right hand corner of the Google Assistant app.
  4. Scroll down and select the Devices option.
  5. Tap on each Sonos device listed and select Unlink at the bottom of the options.
  6. Open a Web Browser on your PC/Mac and visit Google.com. 
  7. Click the user's picture in the top right, and select Manage your Google Account. If the account is not signed in, first sign in, then attempt this step.
  8. Ensure you see the Home tab on the left, then select Security from the options.
  9. Select Manage third-party access under Third-party apps with account access.
  10. Look under Google apps and see if there is a selection called Sonos Google Assistant Built-in Speaker. If there is, select it and select Remove Access. If not, proceed to the next step.
  11. Open the Sonos app, and visit Settings > Services & Voice > Add a Voice Assistant.
  12. Select Google Assistant and go through the steps listed in the Google Assistant app.
  13. Test Google Assistant

I hope this helps.

Hi @Corry P , thanks for your quick reply. Asking about the weather, locations, music and turning on/off lights doesn't work. It just stays quiet after I've asked a question.

I've tried both of your ways to fix my problem but sadly neither of them worked. Nothing changed really. 

I noticed that my speaker doesn't show up under Google Apps after reinstalling the GA. I don't know if it is supposed to act like this or not, but you mentioned this in step 10 of your more aggressive way of enabling GA, so I thought I'd mention it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Jeroenvb 

This is puzzling - no mistake.

I can only really recommend that you get in touch with our technical support team, who will take you through some real-time troubleshooting and perhaps try a test Google account too. Please be sure to mention the steps you’ve already taken.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Jeroenvb 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I can only assume that when you use Google Assistant when your phone is open, it’s GA on your phone that’s actually working. No, your Sonos speaker should be able to utilise GA without your phone being there at all.

First, I assume as you’re getting a “ping” that the microphone light on your Sonos One is on? If not, you will need to tap the microphone icon on the speaker to turn it on.

I recommend you unplug the speaker from power for 30 seconds or so and plug it back in. If that doesn’t help, please do the same to your internet router.

If none of this helps, please submit a diagnostic after reproducing the issue and reply here with the number given. Thanks.