Playbase & Google Assistant.

• 25 February 2021
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 34 replies

I have a Playbase & a Google Home.  The playbase is called “sonos” in the Google home setup.  I can give commands to my phone or to the Google Home to control the volume on the Playbase so I know they are talking to each other.  But, what else can I do with Google Assisant?  Every guide I find talks about commands for a device like the Beam that has a microphone build it.  

I would like to be able to:

1. start music playing on the playbase (one of the Sonos services),
  2. pause music that is playing on the playbase,
  3. change input on the playbase,
  4. perhaps other stuff.

Has anyone with a playbase done ANYTHING other than control volume?

Thanks in advance.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7

What “room” is the Playbase assigned to in the Sonos app?

Userlevel 7

Here is a guide to control Sonos with Google Assistant: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3490?language=en_US

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Here is a guide to control Sonos with Google Assistant: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3490?language=en_US

And most of this only works on something like the Beam.

Do you have a playbase or playbar?  Have you tried any of these commands?

Userlevel 7

What “room” is your Playbase assigned to in the Sonos app?

Have you set up Google Assistant to control your Sonos speakers yet? Follow these instructions: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3486?language=en_US

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Have you set up Google Assistant to control your Sonos speakers yet? Follow these instructions: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3486?language=en_US

As I said I can control the volume on the playbase.  I think this means I have it set up correctly.

Userlevel 7

If you can only control the volume with Google Assistant and nothing else, it is probably not set up correctly or you are using the wrong commands.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Are you suggesting that there is some partial setup that only allows certain commands to work?  That would be strange.  But I’ll play along.

In the Sonos app my playbase is in a “room” called “sonos”.

In my Google Home I have a room called “Living room” that includes the device called ‘sonos’

What command would you suggest I use to start a Sonos Radio channel playing on my playbase?  Or a Pandora station?  

Userlevel 7

If you followed these setup instructions and your Playbase is in the “sonos” room in the Sonos app (which is a very odd name choice for your room), you should be able to say, “Hey Google, play “song name” on Pandora in Sonos” or “Hey Google, pause music in Sonos.”

EDIT: You might also consider changing the room name from “sonos” to “living room” in the Sonos app.

Now voice control for Sonos from your phone, a Google Home Mini, or any other smart device with the Google Assistant. Use simple requests to play, pause, adjust the volume, control your entire Sonos system, and more.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

EDIT: You might also consider changing the room name from “sonos” to “living room” in the Sonos app.

As I said, I already have a “room” in Google called “living room”.  I tried calling the playbar “living room” in the Sonos app but then in Google I have a device called “living room” in a room called “living room” and NOTHING would work in that room.  So I had to change it to something that wouldn’t interfere with my TV, my thermostat, my lights, and my Google Home.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Shouldn’t the Playbase be added to the living room in Google?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Shouldn’t the Playbase be added to the living room in Google?

It is.  That’s exactly why I didn’t call it “Living Room”.  I didn’t want a room & a device with the same name.

Userlevel 7

As I said, I already have a “room” in Google called “living room”.  I tried calling the playbar “living room” in the Sonos app but then in Google I have a device called “living room” in a room called “living room” and NOTHING would work in that room.  So I had to change it to something that wouldn’t interfere with my TV, my thermostat, my lights, and my Google Home.

Can you come up with a different room name for your Playbase other than “sonos”? I just want to rule out any confusion Google Assistant is having understanding your commands. 

Like I said earlier, If you can only control the volume on your Playbase with Google Assistant and nothing else, something is not set up correctly or Google Assistant isn’t understanding your commands. I use Amazon Alexa and I have full voice control with every Sonos speaker I own including three old Play:1s which was released in 2013. I would think Google Assistant could give you the same control with your Playbase which was released in 2017.