Answered

Only one Mic works on a stereo pair of ones with Google assistant?

Userlevel 3
Badge
Is this normal? If so this is awful. It's exactly why I've never been able to use them for surround sound with the beam and alexa.

My room is very long, now I have to shout all the way across when I'm at the other end of the room.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 15 May 2019, 18:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

42 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Hi

I have the exact same issue. Wasn't a problem with Alexa so I wouldn't of thought it would be a problem with assistant, especially as they took 1000 years to 'get it right'.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Personally I like this better than the way it automatically added alexa to both speakers so hopefully they don't do a full 180 on that, but rather allow those that want to the option to load it on the second speaker. Even more ideal would be the ability to choose assistant, alexa or nothing for the second speaker as was advertised.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I agree, an option would be best. Also, does anyone know how to choose which speaker, from your stereo pair, assistant works on?
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I couldn't find a way to specify either. It just added it to the 'left' rear for my 5.1 setup.
Userlevel 1
I got the same problem and that seems to be awkward. The point is wherever you are closet to the Sonos speaker, you should be able to use it with Google Assistant so we don't walk to the one that works in the stereo pair. Hopefully, they will get it fix soon.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
That'st the point, surely after so long in development they shouldn't have to fix seemingly obvious issues from day one.

By the way mines on the left as well and I want it on the right. Maybe left is a fixed default.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Yes, it is defaulted to the left side (as the left side is the "main" in a stereo pair, and for surrounds it also has a higher profile).

This was in part due to performance during the beta test, but I'll make sure the team knows you're looking for stereo mics, or the ability to select which of the two has Google Assistant installed.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Yes, it is defaulted to the left side (as the left side is the "main" in a stereo pair, and for surrounds it also has a higher profile).

This was in part due to performance during the beta test, but I'll make sure the team knows you're looking for stereo mics, or the ability to select which of the two has Google Assistant installed.

Thanks Ryan

I can't stress enough how much I need it on both. We should have the option. I havent been able to use my ones as surround with the beam for a similiar issue where you disable the mics on both. The ones are wall mounted high up, in a longish room. It drives me mad having to shout across.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Yes, that is daft and I can't believe it got to general release in this state. Like the other poster said I have to shout across the room to get assistant to work. Why did developers think this was good implementation??
The long long wait has been pointless and I may as well go back to Alexa.
Userlevel 1
You can force Google Assistant to the speaker that you want to have voice enable. For me, I took out the stereo and leave just one speaker that I want to keep the Google Assistance, then reset that speaker and make it work with Google Assistance first.

Once it works, you can do the same to the second one and pair the stereo again. This time, it works to the Sonos speaker I like to have Google Assistance on .
Again, it requires some extra time to make it happen but at least I know that Google Voice won't work on both stereo speakers together by design.

Sonos should know and have a bug fix for it, and that would be a big help.

Thanks-
Yes, that is daft and I can't believe it got to general release in this state. Like the other poster said I have to shout across the room to get assistant to work. Why did developers think this was good implementation??
The long long wait has been pointless and I may as well go back to Alexa.

Since the Alexa implementation was on both speakers in a stereo pair, I'd be inclined to believe that decision to only do one side of a stereo pair was do to technical reasons rather than a design choice.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I'd imagine your right Danny just seems weird those technical hurdles were overcome so early with Alexa but not so with Assistant which had a couple of extra years to get it right.

Ill try Hoang's technique to force it.
I don't think GA integration was started till after Amazon was done. I'm not sure which one actually had a longer run way. But yes, you would think GA would go smoother after learning some lessons from Amazon project. However, it seems like GA works significantly different then GA, enough to cause this undesirable limitation. I usually can 'reverse engineer' these sort of things to an extent, but I have no idea where this limitation comes from.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Fair point

Thanks Hoang, your workaround sorted it. Not ideal but better than before.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I always use my stereo pare and this is very annoying specially when you listen to heavy metal on high volumes, the left speaker only gets me when i'm near enough.
I am having issues enabling Google assistant for BOTH pairs of SONOS ONE speakers in my living room. They are indeed linked (per app) and I only have 1 WIFI network they are connected to however only 1 of my 2 SONOS ONEs work when I trigger the "hey google". Even when im speaking directly to it. It simply doesn't do anything voice related aka acts like a play 1. The speakers when watching/listing TV or music works together though. Also Alexa worked previously on both.

Is this a bug? or are my speakers somehow not linked?
I am having issues enabling Google assistant for BOTH pairs of SONOS ONE speakers in my living room. They are indeed linked (per app) and I only have 1 WIFI network they are connected to however only 1 of my 2 SONOS ONEs work when I trigger the "hey google". Even when im speaking directly to it. It simply doesn't do anything voice related aka acts like a play 1. The speakers when watching/listing TV or music works together though. Also Alexa worked previously on both.

Is this a bug? or are my speakers somehow not linked?

Looks like i got my answer in this forum. Will be switching back to Alexa until Google Assistant is fixed to work properly as a stereo pair.
For me issue is less about active microphone and more (much) about have sound from both speakers when I'm listening to news, etc.
I have Sonos surround system and was disappointed when Voice Services set up added Google Assistant only to the Rear-Left Sonos one! Have switched back to Alexa with the hope that Sonos will fix it at the earliest.
Is this normal? If so this is awful. It's exactly why I've never been able to use them for surround sound with the beam and alexa.

My room is very long, now I have to shout all the way across when I'm at the other end of the room.Is this normal? If so this is awful. It's exactly why I've never been able to use them for surround sound with the beam and alexa.

My room is very long, now I have to shout all the way across when I'm at the other end of the room.
I got the same problem and that seems to be awkward. The point is wherever you are closet to the Sonos speaker, you should be able to use it with Google Assistant so we don't walk to the one that works in the stereo pair. Hopefully, they will get it fix soon.

I agree, i have the same issue.

I got the same problem and that seems to be awkward. The point is wherever you are closet to the Sonos speaker, you should be able to use it with Google Assistant so we don't walk to the one that works in the stereo pair. Hopefully, they will get it fix soon.I agree, i have the same issue.

It's the left one. Even so, GA is hearing me perfectly fine wherever I am in the room.
Thanks Smilja, glad to hear that you don't have any problems. Still think it should be on both speakers because the right speaker is more central in my room situation. Or make it possible to change GA to the right speaker. Now i have to speak louder to let GA hear me (on the left speaker). Should be an update for Sonos asap.
Though I've not tried it, I understand that you can get GA onto the right speaker by:
  • un-pairing
  • installing GA on the right hand unit
  • re-pairing
Thanks Ratty, its worth while trying. I will let you know