Answered

Only one Mic works on a stereo pair of ones with Google assistant?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

42 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Fair point

Thanks Hoang, your workaround sorted it. Not ideal but better than before.

Any status updates on this? Really want this fixed!!! Also bunch of feature requests around this like being able to quickly switch between surround and individual control of the speakers. 

This is actually really crap in a bedroom when one person has to yell over the other sleeping one to turn off the lights. First world problems I know but at this price point....come on. Needs to be fixed ASAP.
one person has to yell over the other sleeping one to turn off the lights. First world problems I know
Amen to that.
+1 on this - the mic should be enabled on both speakers. Seems like a big miss.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I always use my stereo pare and this is very annoying specially when you listen to heavy metal on high volumes, the left speaker only gets me when i'm near enough.
I am having issues enabling Google assistant for BOTH pairs of SONOS ONE speakers in my living room. They are indeed linked (per app) and I only have 1 WIFI network they are connected to however only 1 of my 2 SONOS ONEs work when I trigger the "hey google". Even when im speaking directly to it. It simply doesn't do anything voice related aka acts like a play 1. The speakers when watching/listing TV or music works together though. Also Alexa worked previously on both.

Is this a bug? or are my speakers somehow not linked?
+1 to fix this. I agree this is a bug and not a feature ...
Is this normal? If so this is awful. It's exactly why I've never been able to use them for surround sound with the beam and alexa.

My room is very long, now I have to shout all the way across when I'm at the other end of the room.Is this normal? If so this is awful. It's exactly why I've never been able to use them for surround sound with the beam and alexa.

My room is very long, now I have to shout all the way across when I'm at the other end of the room.

I got the same problem and that seems to be awkward. The point is wherever you are closet to the Sonos speaker, you should be able to use it with Google Assistant so we don't walk to the one that works in the stereo pair. Hopefully, they will get it fix soon.I agree, i have the same issue.

It's the left one. Even so, GA is hearing me perfectly fine wherever I am in the room.
Thanks Smilja, glad to hear that you don't have any problems. Still think it should be on both speakers because the right speaker is more central in my room situation. Or make it possible to change GA to the right speaker. Now i have to speak louder to let GA hear me (on the left speaker). Should be an update for Sonos asap.
Though I've not tried it, I understand that you can get GA onto the right speaker by:
  • un-pairing
  • installing GA on the right hand unit
  • re-pairing
For me issue is less about active microphone and more (much) about have sound from both speakers when I'm listening to news, etc.
I totally agree with this point. It is weird to listen assistant from 1 speaker when I should have 5:1 surround in my livingroom
Thanks Ratty, its worth while trying. I will let you know
Hello ratty, your right. It works the way you mentioned. It works. It’s definitely better in my situation. Thanks so much.
This is poorly implemented. I thought it was my system problem. Wasted so much time trying to find a solution. Silly me to expect GA will work like Alexa. So dumb. Let me understand this, even with the hack, I can still only get 1 speaker to work with GA (L or R, but not L+R), correct?
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
I just got my 2nd Sonos One (a gen2) and added it to a stereo pair with my first (a gen1). Worked ok the first time around, but then I thought since only one speaker is allowed to have the voice assistant, I should put it on the gen2 with the faster processor, which was initially on the right. So should be easy-peasy, right? Just unpair, re-pair, and this time press the button on the gen2 when asked to designate the left speaker. I can swap them physically.

Not so much. It turns out that most of what you read above is wrong. It is NOT the left speaker that gets the voice assistant in a pair, it is the one that had Google Assistant assigned to it first. In my case, the gen1, whether I designate it left or right. So I had to unpair again, remove Google Assistant from both, re-add Google Assistant to the gen2, re-pair, the change the name because now it has the wrong name. Ugh! What a mess.

Wouldn't it be great if you could have Google Assistant on one and Alexa on the other?