Question

One does not play BBC radio when requested via Google Assistant

• 27 June 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

Having ditched Alexa for controlling my Sonos speakers I have been happy with Google Assistant (GA). (Amazon said that the BBC did not allow TuneIn to be used by them so we moved to GA and it does!) I have a Play 5, a Play One and a One. When  I ask GA on the One to play Radio 4 in the kitchen it says the usual “playing BBC radio...” but nothing plays, it doesn’t seem to notice. On my phone app nothing also plays. But if I group the One with either of the other speakers in my system and make the same request it works. Then I have to un- group and it’s happy. How on earth do I get round this as I might just as well put the radio on not the Sonos?

I’ve reset the WiFi and turned the One on and off more than once. Nothing changed.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @nortoncaff.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us.

My apologies for the late response. I would like to confirm that this issue has already been resolved as of Aug. 8 of 2020. 

Please let me know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help,

Thanks,

Userlevel 1

Regrettably, this is not true.  I cannot request “Radio 4 to play on Kitchen” Sonos 1. GA says “Playing Radio 4 on kitchen” and there is silence. This is the same for my other two speakers. I then cannot play the radio station by using the app on my phone or PC. Very disappointing. I’m using the S1 controller as i am not spending money replacing something that works well (sometimes) and that i bought for longevity.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @nortoncaff.

Thanks for the immediate response.

I would like to advise to either wait for any upcoming update or check for updates on the Sonos app.

Please let me know how it goes. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Badge

Hi @nortoncaff.

Thanks for the immediate response.

I would like to advise to either wait for any upcoming update or check for updates on the Sonos app.

Please let me know how it goes. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Are Sonos now acknowledging that it isn’t fixed?

“Play Radio 2” is definitely not working on my S2 system so it would be helpful for Sonos to officially confirm that the issue isn’t fully resolved, update the status page to reflect that and give more information about what the issue is and when we can expect a fix. The lack of information is extremely frustrating and a very poor customer service experience.

Google Assistant on ARC: it will play Radio 5 but not Radio 4. In both cases GA acknowledges the request. Why is that?