Question

Not connectong to WiFi and Google assistant playing up

• 15 December 2020
  • 1 reply

2 weeks ago I set up our new family Sonos speaker on our home WiFi. I think we’ve spent £160 on what is essentially a high-end doorstop. I and both my parents downloaded the new app, connected to Spotify, connected Google Assistant, set up voice recognition for me and my mum. The lot. Up until now it had been working fine, e.g. Me or my mum could ask Google Assistant to play music on Spotify and it would, or, we could play music through the Spotify app. This morning I did just that and played music on the speaker, no problem, but a few hours later my mum, and then I, ask Google to play some music on Spotify. She says “I can’t do that here, but you can ask me to play on one of your other devices” (we don’t have any) - or something to that effect.  So I go to my mum’s Spotify- can’t connect to the speaker, odd, because when I go to my own Spotify, it connects and plays just fine. Google Assistant is still having none of it. So I open the Sonos app on my device, and then my mum’s, and then my dad’s. None of them can find the speaker. Say it’s not connected to our WiFi. So I ask Google if she’s connected to the internet. “If I’m answering you, I’m connected to the internet”, she tells me, but she still doesn’t want to play any music. 
We’ve tried reconnecting the speaker to our WiFi. The app still isn’t finding it. Google still isn’t playing music. Is it the iOS update? An app update? Something to do with Google going down yesterday? I’m lost. These speakers are a nightmare…

Edit: sorry about the typo in the title 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi there @Mattiea.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community! Let me see what I can do to help you.

To better understand what’s going on, kindly reproduce the issue using the controller that is in question, then submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app shortly after the issue occurs, and reply with the confirmation number. I'd start by reviewing your system as well as the status of the devices, it will help in identifying what's possibly causing the issue.

You may also check this article that is designed to help you get the best results when using the Google Assistant on Sonos. Please follow the guidelines, and if you find that you’re still having issues, follow the troubleshooting steps included.

Let me know how that goes.