No Youtube Music Playlists with Sonos and GA.

• 21 August 2020
  • 10 replies

A few weeks ago, Google made YouTube Playlists work on Google Assistant devices. While it's great that I can now request and listen to YTM playlists on my Nest Hub and minis, it broke being able to play playlists from YouTube music on all of my Sonos devices.

Sonos One:

"Play Lady Gaga" -> "Playing Lady Gaga on YouTube Music" (= no problem)

"Play Current Favorites" -> "I also need to know which device to use"

"Play Current Favorites on the Bathroom Speaker" -> "Sorry, I can only play videos on devices using Chromecast or on cast enabled devices"

Nest Hub

"Play Lady Gaga" -> "Playing Lady Gaga on YouTube Music" (= no problem)

"Play Current Favorites" -> "ok, your youtube music playlist called Current Favorites. Here you go" (= no problem)

Nest Hub with Sonos Play:1 as default speaker

"Play Lady Gaga" -> "Sure, Lady Gaga from YouTube Music. Playing on Bedroom Sonos" (= no problem)

"Play Current Favorites" -> "I can't do that here but you can ask me to do that on one of your other devices"

Summary:

I can play songs and artists from YouTube Music on any of my devices (Google and Sonos) using Google Assistant. But I cannot play any playlists as soon as I evolve Sonos (neither when "speaking to" Sonos One, nor when telling GA on a non-Sonos device to play it on a Sonos speaker).

Judging from the response ("can only play videos...") I think Sonos believes songs and artists on YouTube Music are "music", but playlists may be "videos", which it then rejects to play. Just to confirm: my playlist does not contain any videos.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

I'm experiencing the same issue with Sonos and YouTube Music premium since I was forced to switch sercices.  RIP Google Play Music which was superior.

Same problem for me with sonos move and youtube music! Can someone from sonos team acknowledged the issue?

Well maybe— Google (home,YouTube)is not a fan of Amazon(Alexa) and while YouTube music works in Sonos YouTube playlists do Not unless $$you subscribe to Googleyoutubes $ubscription premium which they have “allowed” Sonos to support .. so yes it’s Googles greediness right now and a political statement to Sonos about Amazon

I dont think its a Google issue. It has something to do with how GA/ Youtube Music is integrated with Sonos. My JBL Link speaker works fine with no issues. Sonos can play artists from Youtube Music but somehow not playlists or albums.

No. My workaroud is identifying as many of what I want and creating similar playlists on Spotify. Pathetic how Google(YouTube) and Apple and Amazon act like f^<*# babies playing politics with customers. Which is what they are doing punishing they think by choosing one music service over another. Hopefully Google will grow up and “allow” YouTube to be available

Have you found any solution? I am having the same issue. Makes Sonos Move pretty worthless for my usage tbh.

Same issue with YouTube music. Hope SONOS gets a patch for this. Using google misic isn’t a fix

Hi @Ntrax, thank you for reaching out, getting our attention to this, and welcome to the community.

Thank you for sharing this discovery. I’ll be more than happy to pass this along for our Engineers to look at.

Currently, our support for Youtube Music is with premium accounts and we don’t have support yet for the Free accounts yet.

As Google Play Music shuts down by the end of 2020, Sonos recommends to keep using Google Music;

as we work with Google to bring more of Youtube Music’s functionality to the Sonos system.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

Well that’s not a very acceptable answer sorry but it’s really not addeessing the question. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have the exact same experience and I have a premium YTM account.

For months I was able to use a Google Mini with a Sonos Play:3 or a Play:5 (depending on the room) play YouTube Music playlists on the Sonos speakers without issue.

About 2-3 weeks ago this feature just stopped working.  The Google Mini’s (Gen1 and Gen2) reply with "I can't do that here but you can ask me to do that on one of your other devices".  

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Ntrax, thank you for reaching out, getting our attention to this, and welcome to the community.

Thank you for sharing this discovery. I’ll be more than happy to pass this along for our Engineers to look at.

Currently, our support for Youtube Music is with premium accounts and we don’t have support yet for the Free accounts yet.

As Google Play Music shuts down by the end of 2020, Sonos recommends to keep using Google Music;

as we work with Google to bring more of Youtube Music’s functionality to the Sonos system.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.