Lower volume when listening not available

• 2 August 2020
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

Using the Google Assistant on my Sonos speakers has made me discover another annoying thing exclusive to Sonos.

When speaking to Google Assistant on Google’s own speakers, the volume of a second speaker in the same room will automatically reduce so the Assistant can hear you better.

So when asking speaker A something and speaker B is playing music, the volume on speaker B will automatically reduce while the Assistant is listening.

This feature is not available on Sonos with Google Assistant, though it does work with Amazon’s Alexa.

This being such a basic feature, is there a chance this will ever be added?

5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi @JamesDan, thank you for reaching out.

I would like to take a closer look at the system with a diagnostic.

Please take a diagnostic in the Sonos app and reply with the confirmation.

Setting > Help & Tips > Submit Diagnostic, the confirmation will be at the end after the diagnostic has finished.

The voice docking should occur on both of the voice service, not just Alexa.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

Badge +1

Hi Kyle, thanks for the reply, I’ll be sure to do that this afternoon!

The voice docking does occur though when speaking to the Google Assistant on the Sonos speaker itself but does not happen when there’s music playing on the Sonos speaker and you ask a Google Nest Mini in the same room something (which is grouped in the same room as the Sonos speaker in the Google Home app).

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi @JamesDan, thank you for the update.

I’m glad the google assistant in the Sonos speaker is docking when asked.

The dock will depend on how far the speakers are. If a speaker is near, the nearest one will respond.

Since our Sonos speakers and Google nest mini uses different systems. Some functionality between the two systems is segregated.

I’ll pass along this as a feature request.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

Badge +1

Thanks Kyle, I really do hope this gets added soon! The Google Assistant on a separate speaker can barely hear me when music is playing, it really is such a basic feature and as I already mentioned is supported on Sonos when Alexa is enabled.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi @JamesDan, you’re welcome, if you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

The community will be here to help.