Answered

Latest s2 update problem

• 7 April 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi

Thank you very much Sonos for this.

My system was working perfectly fine until last week one of my speakers (bookshelf) started acting up. Since I have a wifi extension I wondered where it was connected exactly so I decided to reset it.

I boot my tablet, (android 7 working perfectly well up to then), and it says: “there is an update for sonos app”. And idiot that I am i hit “update”

….

it took a while to update and me wondering why :nerd:

…..

Surprise!!.

The new piece of whatever refused to add a new speaker because “android 7 is no longer supported” And I haven’t been able to find the previous version of S2 to just stick with it.

So as the double idiot that I am I go and decide to buy a new tablet with android 10.

And what now?

Yes, I can now readd my speaker to the system.

But this thing comes with something called Google Go. And you can’t delete it. You can disable it but Google play doesnt care. It’s still there and GP refuses to install “Google LLC” instead. Why is this important  you ask?

Because now it is impossible to add my google mini as voice assistant. When you try it wants google installed which cannot be installed. Period.

So much fun.

Sonos: I hope you have a solution because you are losing me as a client.

icon

Best answer by James L. 8 April 2021, 10:25

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Badge +17

Hi @day too long,

With all due respect, the issues you’ve mentioned here are not something Sonos has direct control over. It’s unfortunate that you factory reset your speaker and then updated your Android 7 tablet into limited compatibility mode though we’re pretty clear that you shouldn’t factory reset products as a troubleshooting step. I’m glad you were able to get around this by using another, compatible tablet. As for Google Go and not being able to install the Google Home app, that’s honestly not something we have any control over nor is it something I can advise on. You’d be much better off contacting Google to see if they have a similar, Go-compatible app for you to achieve the same task.

Hi

Thanks for answering.

And sorry but it is the Sonos app the one requesting me to install “google” and the one taking me to Google Play to do it.

Badge +17

You’re trying to set up a Google Home/Nest Mini to work with your Sonos? You won’t need to start that process in the Sonos app. If your tablet has a Google Assistant app on it you should be able to follow these steps to get the Sonos action enabled and linked again: 

1. Open the Google Home app
  2. Tap the + at the top left, select Set up device
  3. Tap Works with Google
  4. Search for Sonos and select it
  5. Follow the steps to link your account

If you don’t have the Home app or can’t install it then you will have to speak to Google support.