Answered

Is there a way to prevent Google assistant activation while watching TV?

Just got a beam and sub for my HT and a few times in the last couple of days GA has activated when some on the TV says something like "okay. Cool." It's decidedly uncool because it lowers the volume to the point of not being able to make out dialog for what seems like eternity (probably 10s)
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 21 May 2019, 19:15

That definitely sounds frustrating. The best way to disable the mic while watching something temporarily is to press the microphone icon on the device itself, which turns the microphone off.

Also, the microphone recognition will improve over time. We're constantly working to improve the integration, and the Google Assistant team is too. I don't have any specific plans around speech recognition to share today, but that is generally a topic we're always going to be working to make perfect.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
That definitely sounds frustrating. The best way to disable the mic while watching something temporarily is to press the microphone icon on the device itself, which turns the microphone off.

Also, the microphone recognition will improve over time. We're constantly working to improve the integration, and the Google Assistant team is too. I don't have any specific plans around speech recognition to share today, but that is generally a topic we're always going to be working to make perfect.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
We're also experiencing this problem, which we notably did not with the Alexa integration. So my take on this is that there is still some way to go sorting this integration out. Anyone considering purchasing a Beam for use with the Google Assistant integration should really think about waiting to see if this gets resolved. Having interruptions when you're watching something on TV is rather frustrating.