Incredibly Disappointed! - Sonos Move and Google Assistant

• 5 March 2020
  • 1 reply

Badge
  • Contributor I
  • 0 replies

TL;DR - Decent sounding product that completely fails as a Google Home integrated device.

Returning it. 

I would not have bought this if I realised how badly it integrates with Google Home.  

Sonos need to improve Assistant functionality or remove it so as not to be misleading.

I had a JBL Link 20 which was functioning fairly well except that it started making a popping noise after streaming music.  It happened a couple of times after resetting, so fed up I headed out to buy an updated product..

Not all Google Assistants are the same…

The Sonos Move seems to have a cut down implementation of Google Assistant.

-It expects you to join the Sonos eco-system and play all music through their app. Your streaming services are viewed through their app’s interface.  I never tested installing this app on each family member’s phones because - screw that.

-You cannot cast to the Sonos Move

-You cannot add it to speaker groups in Google Home

-You cannot see music playing on this device via Google home

-Maybe you can, but I was unable to get other Google home products to stop/start music on this device.

-Out of dozens of attempts, this device only told me the current volume level once.  It only altered it once - separate occasions.

-It failed to stop and skip tracks more than it worked.

-It was marginally better in complete isolation from all other google assistant/google home devices, but still did not function to the level I am used to from Google Home and the JBL.

-Wording needed to be very specific for common requests to work - eg: something like “tell me today’s weather” worked, but “what is the weather?”, “what is today’s weather?” and “today’s weather?” did not (they all work for me on Google Home).

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Hi. I think this is about expectations and it is a shame you are disappointed.  The Move, like the Beam and the Sonos One, is not a ‘Google Home integrated device’, it is a voice-enabled speaker.

Even so, you seem to have had unusual problems, and i can imagine that was frustrating.  I only have experience of using Alexa on Sonos, not GA, and for controlling my music it works fine.  I would suggest you call Sonos Support to discuss and investigate before you give up on it, but of course that is your decision