How do you revoke Google assistants access to Sonos?

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I decided to give Google Assistant a try and during this proces Sonos wants to you confirm you give Google access to what your playing, etc. Okay fine… But how do I revoke this access again? I decided to not use Assistant after trying it and want to revoke Google’s rights to access anything to do with my Sonos.

Normal services you can add and remove, but voice services you can only add?

13 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Asgorath, thanks for reaching out. You can always remove and re-add your Google Assistant/Alexa from Sonos. Check the steps below and let us know if this helps. Always here to help. 

1. From the Settings tab of your Sonos app, tap System and select the Google Assistant-enabled room.
  2. Choose the option to remove the Google Assistant from that room to disable voice control in the Sonos app.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi @Krishma M Thanks for your reply. I must be missing it. I’m in my Sonos App, System and selected my Living Room (the Sonos Amp is the only component there) and I see options such as: Name, Products, Sound, Line-In (my turntable),  Home Theater and finally Hardware.

Where would I find the assistant?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Sonos have yet to implement the ability to revoke access to your Sonos accounts by third parties using their Cloud API. Once you give a third party access, it will have it forever.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Sonos have yet to implement the ability to revoke access to your Sonos accounts by third parties using their Cloud API. Once you give a third party access, it will have it forever.

That… just… wooow… that just… no just… wooow.. Is that even legal? I guess in the US and somewhere in the agreement you ‘sign’ when you approve it you wave your rights if your from the EU. Because… woow… just … woow…

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Krishma M Thanks for your reply. I must be missing it. I’m in my Sonos App, System and selected my Living Room (the Sonos Amp is the only component there) and I see options such as: Name, Products, Sound, Line-In (my turntable),  Home Theater and finally Hardware.

Hi folks. To remove Google Assistant from your Sonos try these other steps. 

Using the Sonos app for iOS or Android:

1. From the Settings tab, tap Services & Voice.
  2. Under Voice, tap Google Assistant and you should have an option to remove the account from Sonos.

Let me know if this works. Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@controlav In the GA app you can break the connection with your Sonos devices. If you would do this for all your devices what would Google have access to?

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi @Krishma M Thanks for your reply. I must be missing it. I’m in my Sonos App, System and selected my Living Room (the Sonos Amp is the only component there) and I see options such as: Name, Products, Sound, Line-In (my turntable),  Home Theater and finally Hardware.

Hi folks. To remove Google Assistant from your Sonos try these other steps. 

Using the Sonos app for iOS or Android:

1. From the Settings tab, tap Services & Voice.
  2. Under Voice, tap Google Assistant and you should have an option to remove the account from Sonos.

Let me know if this works. Thanks!

Sadly I do not. Whenever I go to Google Assistant I get an option to “Add Google Assistant”, despite my Sonos Amp already having been setup and responding to voice commands from Google Assistant when I use the Google Assistant App on my phone.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Sadly I do not. Whenever I go to Google Assistant I get an option to “Add Google Assistant”, despite my Sonos Amp already having been setup and responding to voice commands from Google Assistant when I use the Google Assistant App on my phone.

I see. Because the Sonos Amp doesn’t have a microphone, you may need to remove the Sonos Amp in the Google Assistant app to stop that feature. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I see. Because the Sonos Amp doesn’t have a microphone, you may need to remove the Sonos Amp in the Google Assistant app to stop that feature. 

But how would that remove google’s access to your api to read my music played and more? That part is usually handled by the API granting the access. Not the application accessing the API.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

But how would that remove google’s access to your api to read my music played and more? That part is usually handled by the API granting the access. Not the application accessing the API.

We’ll be happy to refer you to the right person at Google for questions on their data retention policies. Our practices with Google Assistant will remain the same. What we do is in the spirit of making sure your Sonos system and your services work together to offer a seamless listening experience. That requires limited data sharing to ensure the appropriate functioning of the system.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

@controlav In the GA app you can break the connection with your Sonos devices. If you would do this for all your devices what would Google have access to?

Google have an access key for your Sonos account in their database. Until Sonos revoke that key (for which there is no page to do so today), Google can access your Sonos account in the way you gave them permission to when you first signed up for GA.

The Sonos account access revocation page has been promised since the Cloud API was launched (I first asked at the end of 2018), but remains elusive.

https://en.community.sonos.com/smart-home-integrations-229108/how-do-i-revoke-sonos-cloud-api-connection-6816998

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Though I’ll keep using GA, I agree this is not a good thing, though I would think a solution would lie at Google’s end. If Google can provide a page that makes it possible to add and delete any rights you have given them (per service) that would be a solution: let me revoke the key, not Sonos.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

We’ll be happy to refer you to the right person at Google for questions on their data retention policies. Our practices with Google Assistant will remain the same. What we do is in the spirit of making sure your Sonos system and your services work together to offer a seamless listening experience. That requires limited data sharing to ensure the appropriate functioning of the system.  

Hi Krishma, no offence but you do not seem to understand the question or the issue. Revoking access to SONOS by Google is not something that is upto Google, that is something you as SONOS need to do. Reading the other replies it seems SONOS is simply failing at this end and has an option to grant Google access to it’s data but no option to remove that access.

You gave Google a key to your house and you need to change the lock or get the key back. Nobody at Google is going to give back the key. The entire idea of granting access is that the one granting it can also revoke it, not trusting on whomever you gave access to somehow return the key. Actually there isn’t even a way to request this at Google.

If Sonos hasn’t got this solved… that’s bad, but also fine. Please stop with these answers that are very unhelpful however. This has NOTHING to do with data retention. Google has been granted access to read my data at sonos by you… and there is noway to stop this being open and them reading that. But please stop giving out misinformation. It feels a bit insulting… No offense to you personally.