how do i stop google assistant using tunein

Show first post

52 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Well, you’re mostly right, in my opinion. It is a Google problem, they’re the ones who need to fix it. Sonos doesn’t have any control over that. 

;-)

Still no fix for this? Unlike some others here I find depending on how I ask Google Assistant to play BBC Radio 2, it will either play nothing as it's not accessible, or occasionally it plays BBC Radio Cymru 2 on TuneIn as it finds that to be a match. As a non-Welsh speaker this was somewhat surprising to say the least. If you ask it to play BBC radio 6music it doesn't do anything as obviously this has been made inaccessible via TuneIn

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Well, you’re mostly right, in my opinion. It is a Google problem, they’re the ones who need to fix it. Sonos doesn’t have any control over that. 

Same issue here and it's incredibly frustrating. 

Any update @Sonos ???

Userlevel 2

Poking this again. UK Sonos user here, wanting to hear BBC Radio on my Sonos via google voice assistant. I need “Play BBC Radio 2 in the bathroom” to get my Zoe ball fix in the morning. 

My wife just wants to listen to CBC Toronto.  I have spent a fortune on sonos products.

I don't use voice apps.  All I want is to go on my phone, search cbc radio 1 and get it.  Instead I get the obnoxious Tune in monogram and commercials. Cbc is and will always be commercial free.  Please Sonos, remove tune in from your search. Or say, when the option comes up saying. "commercial free" I can go there. Please no commercial radio please. 

Am I clear? 

This feels like a Google problem with a healthy dose of BBC and Sonos not being that bothered that it annoys everyone and passing the blame around. “Use Alexa” is not the answer. Get it fixed!!!

It’s so dumb. I’ve almost given up asking. Every now and then i’ll give it a go, just to see if it’s been fixed, but no. Have to get the app out click about for a while.

It definitely is disappointing that Google restricts this ability from being used on Sonos’ enabled devices.  I guess they feel the need to reserve some things for their own hardware?

I’ve been really disappointed with my sonos to be honest. 

wasn’t aware till I bought it that it was Google assistant so you couldn’t group with other Google speakers and there would be all sorts of bugs like this. In this case sounds like a bbc issue but one of things I really wanted from the Sonos. Super annoying. 

Same issue here. It's defo a Sonos/assistant/voice command issue. Works ok with a Google speaker 

I wonder if Sonos will get this resolved 

I’m so pleased to see this topic come up as I’m having the same problem via google assistant.. However, there doesn’t seem to be a solution at the moment . 😏. I’m going via the sonos app to bbc sounds and getting bbc national/local radio stations that way.

It would be a lot more convenient via a voice command though.

Have deleted tune-in radio service from sonos app but it still tries going that way. I would imagine that a reset of the sonos app would probably get rid of tune-in  but I’m not keen on doing a reset

Userlevel 1

I had a reply from the Beeb:

“We’ve had a response from the product team and they have confirmed that there is currently no access to BBC streams via voice using Google Assistant on a Sonos speaker, this is currently being discussed with Google to resolve. BBC streams can however be accessed using Amazon Alexa on a Sonos Speaker.”

I spotted that one of the BBC team had posted something similar on another thread here.

Userlevel 1

Alas - no. My understanding (which is very limited) is that (i) it is a common problem and (ii) it is not down to Sonos. I think it is a BBC Sounds issue. Do you have the link that you used to contact them - I will add my voice and perhaps others can too so it hopefully then does becomes a known problem! 

Try reporting via: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/contact-sounds-help/#/Need%20more%20help?

I used the options: BBC Sounds - UK - Report a fault - Smart speaker - Sonos - Streaming programmes

I'm playing slow email ping-pong with them, they keep asking for small extra bits of information like firmware versions etc...

Alas - no. My understanding (which is very limited) is that (i) it is a common problem and (ii) it is not down to Sonos. I think it is a BBC Sounds issue. Do you have the link that you used to contact them - I will add my voice and perhaps others can too so it hopefully then does becomes a known problem! 

Userlevel 1

Same problem here. I’ve also deleted all previous Google assistant activity in the hope it clears the cache …

Did this work? I've also got the same problem, it started about two weeks ago. I've come at it from the other direction and raised a support call with the BBC, but they're just replying with generic troubleshooting information and at the moment they don't list it as a known problem.

Same problem here. I’ve also deleted all previous Google assistant activity in the hope it clears the cache …

Ditto can't seem to find a way to persuade Google/Sonos to use BBC Sounds rather than Tube-in to discover stations.

Hope this is not another long term Sonos issue. Must say I have wall to wall Sonos at home  but at work Google speakers which just work!

Same here. And it’s v tedious. Love to know the fix!

Same issue here. 

Same issues. Anyone found anything? I saw some complicated workarounds on another post but they looked a real pain.

Hate having to have my phone with me to get radio! 

Thanks for testing that. Curious, I’d probably want to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

If you ask it to play from BBC Sounds it still tries to play from TuneIn. Explicitly saying “Play BBC Sounds" responded with “voice actions are not available for that app”.

What happens if you say “OK Google, play radio one on BBC Sounds’?