Answered

Groups within Google Home App

• 21 August 2019
  • 33 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

This is very disappointing.

I will have to return the two speakers that I have bought, I simply cannot afford to buy Sonos speakers for the whole house and therefore require integration with google home. The marketing is misleading.

What a shame. 

For real?

For real.

I bought the Sonos One for one single reason – to be able to group my Sonos speakers that I already owned since December and make them available in my Google Home speaker groups.

If that is the only reason for your Sonos One purchase, you definitely need to return it.  Not only can Sonos and Google speakers not play in sync, but if in the unlikely chance they ever do, it would be rather surprising if you need a voice enabled Sonos product to enable the feature.  You can control Sonos with Google assistant already without a Sonos One.

I have now spent ridiculous money on Sonos speakers in just two months and STILL can't play music across my house. Please tell me this will be remedied in an update and I won't have to sell all my new speakers and start over!

It’s unlikely to happen any time soon.  Not sure what your setup currently looks like, but you may want to consider using all Sonos for whole home, or splitting to your house in to Sonos and Google systems if it makes sense, rather starting over.

For real? I bought the Sonos One for one single reason – to be able to group my Sonos speakers that I already owned since December and make them available in my Google Home speaker groups. I have now spent ridiculous money on Sonos speakers in just two months and STILL can't play music across my house. Please tell me this will be remedied in an update and I won't have to sell all my new speakers and start over!

If you are still within your return period, definitely return them. I know I would if I was still within mine. Especially since we don’t know if this will ever be a function of Sonos speakers with google. 

Further to UKMedia’s most helpful post above, which is fine for grouping all Sonos rooms and playing a favourite, there is a slightly better way to do this, if you have either a Logitech Harmony Hub or one of their remotes that work with the Harmony App. This will allow you to create an 'activity’ to group any combination of Sonos rooms, so you could group together speakers in the same physical room, or a combination of rooms etc. and when the setup takes through the option to 'play a favourite', you can skip this feature and save the activity with a name, such as ‘Group all downstairs speakers’ (just as an example).

Next, Link the Harmony Hub/Remote to your Google Home using the Harmony device/skill and you can then say “Hey Google, Group all downstairs speakers” and the Sonos speakers will group together without playing anything… then when you instruct Google to play music to any speaker in the group, or play to it’s (set) ‘default’ speaker, the music will play to the entire group.

So that’s another option if you can get your hands on one of the Logitech Harmony devices. You may perhaps find their devices cheaper online this Black Friday, 29th November 2019.

For real? I bought the Sonos One for one single reason – to be able to group my Sonos speakers that I already owned since December and make them available in my Google Home speaker groups. I have now spent ridiculous money on Sonos speakers in just two months and STILL can't play music across my house. Please tell me this will be remedied in an update and I won't have to sell all my new speakers and start over!

This is a Google issue…. grouping Sonos Speakers with Apple HomePod works great. Just sell your Google stuff… doesn’t work as well or sound as good anyway so just wasting time waiting for them to improve it. Only thing I miss from Google was ability to see song name playing on Home Hub, but everything else was worse

While I'm enjoying the sound of a Sonos, despite spending a lot of time researching online what was the best Google assistant enabled multiroom speaker, I'm feeling very frustrated. One would expect to be able to link up all speakers that work with Google home. 

My bigger frustration was that I can't use voice activation to get my Google Play music library to play on Sonos. It was this very convenience that I wanted and had been enjoying with the Google minis I bought initially to see how I got along with them. 

I just wanted to gradually improve the sound I had, so I will probably eventually buy more Sonos to link to the one I started with, and I'll have to subscribe to a streaming service to get the convenience I wanted. But this lack of functionality is very annoying. 

My bigger frustration was that I can't use voice activation to get my Google Play music library to play on Sonos. It was this very convenience that I wanted and had been enjoying with the Google minis I bought initially to see how I got along with them. 

You should be able to do this.  If you’re speaking to a Sonos  speaker that’s voice enabled, just make your request.  If you’re speaking to a mini or some other speaker, you’ll need to add “on <room name> to your request.  Of course, this is assuming you’ve done all the proper setups like adding your Google Play music service to Sonos and properly linking Sonos to Google voice services.

No, I've looked into it and it doesn't work unless I sign up to the streaming service. I just wanted to okay the huge amount of music on my own library that I've uploaded. Can do it through the app, bit not with speech. 

Additionally, although the box to make it the default speaker is definitely not ticked, any speaker I speak to now tries to play through the Sonos rather than the speaker in question, unless I verbally request that speaker.