Answered

Groups within Google Home App

• 21 August 2019
  • 33 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

Agreed that Sonos should be more transparent with their goals. I spent $1400 on just one room and wanted to integrate this in my Google infrastructure, expecting they could do better than something like a cheap Insignia speaker. Assumptions... Sigh... 

My workaround is with Chromecast and a Beam+2Ones+Sub.  This requires me to turn on my TV before hand for best results. 

This works without something like harmony or IFTTT or harmony. 

Ken's option is interesting too.. I might give that a try. 

Further to UKMedia’s most helpful post above, which is fine for grouping all Sonos rooms and playing a favourite, there is a slightly better way to do this, if you have either a Logitech Harmony Hub or one of their remotes that work with the Harmony App. This will allow you to create an 'activity’ to group any combination of Sonos rooms, so you could group together speakers in the same physical room, or a combination of rooms etc. and when the setup takes through the option to 'play a favourite', you can skip this feature and save the activity with a name, such as ‘Group all downstairs speakers’ (just as an example).

Next, Link the Harmony Hub/Remote to your Google Home using the Harmony device/skill and you can then say “Hey Google, Group all downstairs speakers” and the Sonos speakers will group together without playing anything… then when you instruct Google to play music to any speaker in the group, or play to it’s (set) ‘default’ speaker, the music will play to the entire group.

So that’s another option if you can get your hands on one of the Logitech Harmony devices. You may perhaps find their devices cheaper online this Black Friday, 29th November 2019.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

There is a way of doing this for all rooms in your Sonos system via IFTTT. Just follow these steps (I’ve used the web browser version but it’s possible to use the app as well.)

1/ Log in to IFTTT and then click on your profile picture and select ‘Create’;

2/ Click on the ‘+’ symbol in the phrase, select ‘Google Assistant’ and then select ‘Say a specific phrase’;

3/ Type in your preferred phrase for Google Assistant to respond to. e.g. ‘group sonos’;

4/ Click on the newly located ‘+’ symbol and select ‘Sonos’

5/ Select ‘Play Favorite’ and then select the favorite, a default device and in the ‘Include grouped rooms’, select ‘include all rooms’. Followed by ‘Create Action

6/ Google Assistant will then respond to ‘Hey Google, group Sonos’ and will create a Sonos group containing all of your rooms and start playing the Favorite

If you want to play different music asking Google Assistant to ‘play xx on Sonos’ maintains the Sonos Grouping.

I know this isn’t as flexible as you are all requesting but it does provide some level of grouping by voice to GA.

+1 desperately needed

Userlevel 1

+1 Adding support for being able to include Sonos devices within Google groups.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

"... I would love for it to include my top of the line Sonos speakers. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!Also interested!!!

+ one more
Userlevel 1
I know one can create a group of Sonos speakers within the Sonos app. What I am hoping to do is to create groups of speakers (Sonos and Google Home / Mini devices) using the Google Home app. I can see the Sonos speakers in the Google Home App as visible devices, but I can not seem to include any Sonos speaker as part of the groups. Am I missing something or is this not a possibility? If not, any plans to revise this?

The Sonos integration with the Google Voice system is great, but if the voice commands work to play on "Whole House"... I would love for it to include my top of the line Sonos speakers. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Also interested!!!
I understand and appreciate that Sonos rarely mention their development roadmap, but I too would like to see both default speaker(s) and grouping with the Sonos/Google integration, in a similar way to how those things currently work in the Sonos/Alexa integration. I guess we will have to see what comes next in their development cycle.