Google Home now allows switching stream via voice command

• 9 October 2019
  • 2 replies

Except to Sonos devices. Sigh.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/10/08/google-home-stream-transfer/?amp

2 replies

Unfortunately it’s inevitable as we are currently in the early stages of voice assistants and seeing the rapid development phase that happens with all new technologies. Sonos is always going to be behind the curve, and you have to question if Sonos made the right decision to support multiple assistants, rather than concentrate all its resources on doing one as well as possible. The problem is if they did chose one side they risked losing customers who already have an investment in the assistant they chose not to support. At the moment I still use my Chromecast audios plugged into my Sonos 5 speakers, because it works better than the Sonos integration.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Unfortunately it’s inevitable as we are currently in the early stages of voice assistants and seeing the rapid development phase that happens with all new technologies. Sonos is always going to be behind the curve, and you have to question if Sonos made the right decision to support multiple assistants, rather than concentrate all its resources on doing one as well as possible. The problem is if they did chose one side they risked losing customers who already have an investment in the assistant they chose not to support. At the moment I still use my Chromecast audios plugged into my Sonos 5 speakers, because it works better than the Sonos integration.

I don't disagree with your statements, but there is more to it then that. There are also voice assistant features that Sonos couldn't implement if they wanted to, because Google/Amazon doesn't allow it or because it would not fit in with Sonos own streaming protocols. It's not simply about time to develop features.

With this particular feature, since Sonos has been able to do switch streams like this since inception (though not by voice) if Google is using some of Sonos tech to accomplish this. I wonder if Sonos gave them this tech, or if Sonos stated they wouldn't sue, as part of the agreement to put Assistant on Sonos devices.