Answered

Google Assistant will not play Spotify on Sonos Speakers

I just updated my Sonos system and Google Assistant to control my Sonos speakers. I am getting an error when I ask Google to play Spotify in any room. It states Spotify is unavailable. When I ask google to play Spotify on the Mini home, It works perfectly. I have unlinked and relinked both accounts and I am still getting the same error. I tried the same command with Pandora and it works fine. I can ask Google to play Pandora in any room or on Mini Home and it works flawlessly. Any assistance here would be greatly appreciated!
icon

Best answer by bej432 17 May 2019, 00:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

Userlevel 2
Yes exact same issue here. Called support and after an hour on the phone they couldn't figure it out. I am supposed to get an email from an engineer to set up a phone appointment. If anyone has a fix before then I would love to hear it.
See if this solves it: https://en.community.sonos.com/google-assistant-and-sonos-229109/google-assistant-i-can-t-do-that-here-but-you-can-ask-me-to-play-it-on-one-of-your-other-devices-sonos-6825502#post16335292
Like jberglinds wrote, set English US as primary language and your language as secondary and it should work.
Thanks but I am in the US and English is set as primary. I understand there may be a Spotify control outage right now that may be the issue.
Badge
I am having the same problem. I am also in the US, and English is set as my primary language. I can use Google Assistant to play music from Spotify using my phone, but when I try to do that with my Sonos One speakers, it says "Sorry, it looks like Spotify isn't currently available. Please try again later." It's been like this since I set up Google Assistant on my pair of Sonos One speakers at least 24 hours ago.
Yes, that sounds like the same issue. I found this on another thread. It’s sounds like it could possibly be the cause. We can only hope it works once this is resolved.

https://status.sonos.com/
Badge
That status page now says All Systems Operational, but playing music from Spotify via Google Assistant still isn’t working for me.
I noticed that too so I tried completely logging out of Spotify in the Sonos app and then logged back in. It works as now.
That status page now says All Systems Operational, but playing music from Spotify via Google Assistant still isn’t working for me.
Are you using a Spotify “premium” subscription service (not the 'free' service, which isn’t supported) and have you ensured that the same Spotify credentials are being used within your Sonos App and that the same service/credentials are 'linked' to your Google account that hosts your main 'Google Home' and that Spotify is set as it’s default music service.

Also ensure the Sonos device/skill is installed correctly within that same Home account and you have scanned and installed your Sonos speakers/devices and placed them into your Google Rooms, as required.

If using a Sonos Beam, or Sonos One, for voice services, check that the Google Assistant is installed in the rooms settings/voice services section in the Sonos App.
Badge
Tried logging out & back in, and unlinking & relinking spotify account, no luck. I have Spotify Premium and it’s my default music service. I guess I will call customer service on Monday.
Badge
btw, playing Spotify throgh Google Assistant works fine on my phone, just not on my Sonos One speakers.
swarmer,

1. What is the error response, (if any) that you are getting back from the Assistant when trying to play?
  2. Are you able to initiate the playing of a tunein radio station using the assistant?
  3. If you load a playlist to the speaker queue and start playing via the Sonos App, can you then use the assistant to Goto next and previous tracks and adjust/mute the volume?
Badge
  1. It says, "ok, playing on Spotify... Sorry, it looks like Spotify isn't currently available. Please try again later."
  2. Yes.
  3. Yes.
swarmer,

My only thoughts are to confirm your language settings are set to English (United States) and to unlink and relink the Spotify service in the default music area of the Google App, but I suspect you may have done those things already. If you do find the answer when speaking to Sonos Support, can you kindly let us know please for future reference... thanks very much.👍
Badge
Yup, I've done those things already. I will call support on Monday and post back here when I get it resolved. Thank you for your help.
Badge
ok, so an hour on the phone with Sonos technical support did not solve the problem. They suggested I contact Google and/or Spotify about it. I emailed Spotify and asked if there was anything on my account blocking connections from new devices, and they said no. They told me to make sure I enabled a certain setting in Sonos app. I never was able to find this setting, but in the hunt for it I found Settings > My Music Services > Spotify. Under here, I tried clicking "Reauthorize account", but it said it couldn't do that because I was signed into the Spotify app (I think?) using a different account (Huh? What??!?). So in the same menu I clicked "Remove account". Then I re-added Spotify to the Sonos app. Now Spotify works fine with Google Assistant. Hooray!
swarmer,

Thanks for the feedback, so it appears the Spotify account installed as a service in the Sonos App was the issue in your case and needed reinstalling. Out of curiosity had that Spotify account ever been allowed to expire and had you resubscribed to Spotify recently? I’m just wondering if there might be an issue where a resubscribed Account is not being seen correctly by the Google Assistant... just as a thought?

Anyhow its now working, so that’s the main thing.👍
Badge
Nope, I've only ever had one spotify account, it was always Spotify Premium, and it never expired. The only thing that ever happened with the account is that it got hacked about six months ago. I reported this to Spotify and they "secured my account" (whatever that means) and I changed my password.
Nope, I've only ever had one spotify account, it was always Spotify Premium, and it never expired. The only thing that ever happened with the account is that it got hacked about six months ago. I reported this to Spotify and they "secured my account" (whatever that means) and I changed my password.
Just a strange 'glitch' then. These things can and do happen, on occasions, I guess.
When are you going to fix this???? Sonos community ?????? It has been 3 years and nothing happened yet!!!!!
I’m experiencing this problem right now which I haven’t experienced in my months of owning my Sonos One speakers. Every time I ask google assistant (through Sonos) to “play music”, it says “I can’t do that here, but you can ask me to play music in one of your other devices”. But when I do the exact same thing through my google home speaker, it works. Is this a Sonos issue, or is this a google issue, or Spotify issue? Or all three?

I haven’t changed my Spotify account recently. I already unlinked and relinked my Spotify account to my Sonos and google home account. I’ve already unlinked and relinked my Sonos to my google home account.

If Spotify doesn’t work on my Sonos speakers through google assistant, I’m definitely losing a ton of functionality and would most likely sell my Sonos speakers.
I’m experiencing this problem right now which I haven’t experienced in my months of owning my Sonos One speakers. Every time I ask google assistant (through Sonos) to “play music”, it says “I can’t do that here, but you can ask me to play music in one of your other devices”. But when I do the exact same thing through my google home speaker, it works. Is this a Sonos issue, or is this a google issue, or Spotify issue? Or all three?

I haven’t changed my Spotify account recently. I already unlinked and relinked my Spotify account to my Sonos and google home account. I’ve already unlinked and relinked my Sonos to my google home account.

If Spotify doesn’t work on my Sonos speakers through google assistant, I’m definitely losing a ton of functionality and would most likely sell my Sonos speakers.

I have the same error right now and since this morning. The status is however affiliated with major outage https://status.sonos.com/, so I hope this is the reason for the problem with SONOS to Spotify music inquiries. All other Google Voice Control commands seems not to be affected - only the commands related to Spotify.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I have the same error right now and since this morning. The status is however affiliated with major outage https://status.sonos.com/, so I hope this is the reason for the problem with SONOS to Spotify music inquiries. All other Google Voice Control commands seems not to be affected - only the commands related to Spotify.

Hi there. You are absolutely correct, superserup. We have confirmed that there is currently an outage. If you follow the announcement I just posted over here, I will write another response in there once we are all back up and running. Thanks for your patience.

Thank you!
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
Let's hope that it's fixed soon - and not Sonos Soon like "we're working on that feature and expect to release it soon". 🙂