Answered

Google Assistant Support

Userlevel 4
  • Contributor I
  • 3 replies
When does Sonos expect to have support for Google Assistant?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 14 May 2019, 21:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

225 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2
As of today, we've officially rolled out support for Google Assistant on Sonos players, and control of Sonos devices using Google Home devices. For more details, check out our announcement post here, and some of our getting started and tips and tricks posts.

Thats great Ryan!

Not be the guy at the party who #$%# all over the good news but I am curious why all the missing features? No calling.. no routines.. No voice match.. We were told the reason for the lengthy delays was that it was supposed to be perfect.. Is there an ETA for full support?
Still not available in the UK. Rubbish.

As of today, we've officially rolled out support for Google Assistant on Sonos players, and control of Sonos devices using Google Home devices. For more details, check out our announcement post here, and some of our getting started and tips and tricks posts.Thats great Ryan!

Not be the guy at the party who shits all over the good news but I am curious why all the missing features? No calling.. no routines.. No voice match.. We were told the reason for the lengthy delays was that it was supposed to be perfect.. Is there an ETA for full support?

Not sure where you heard it was going to be perfect. I think the idea was that the features that were supported were as bug free as possible. And Ryan may say different, but Sonos is pretty consistent with avoiding given ETAs...to avoid the bad PR from missing dates and such. Sonos has not even officially said it's a feature they will eventually support.
Still not available in the UK. Rubbish.

US-only for now as stated in the announcement.

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/sonos-welcomes-the-google-assistant-6825467
Same product, different country. So what?

We watch Game of Thrones at the same time...
For one minute I got excited when I saw the option in the app, quickly turned to disappointment when I received the not supported in your country message. Super!!!
Userlevel 2
This is great news but the wait goes on for me in the UK.

Settings Sonos players as default speakers isn't available with Google Assistant at this time. This is just the beginning of our work with Google. You'll see new features and improvements as we continue to develop with them.

Well, it's encouraging this most important feature just maybe, possibly, might be available at some point. I'm not holding my breath, though.
If you're not able to add it due to country restrictions, just change the country of your Sonos account in the profile view. I live in Sweden and I managed to enable it that way.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

As of today, we've officially rolled out support for Google Assistant on Sonos players, and control of Sonos devices using Google Home devices. For more details, check out our announcement post here, and some of our getting started and tips and tricks posts.Thats great Ryan!

Not be the guy at the party who #$%# all over the good news but I am curious why all the missing features? No calling.. no routines.. No voice match.. We were told the reason for the lengthy delays was that it was supposed to be perfect.. Is there an ETA for full support?

While you can use many Google Assistant features on Sonos, some features, like calling, messaging, and voice matching are unavailable on Sonos devices running the Google Assistant. We aim for the best experience we can deliver on Sonos as a music system vs. trying to do everything the developer makes possible as soon as it's possible. We’re always adding to the experience, and this is just the beginning of our work with Google Assistant, so the functionality and features will evolve over time with software. With Sonos you do get all of the benefits of the Sonos system in addition to the ability to use voice assistants.
Same product, different country. So what?

We watch Game of Thrones at the same time...

Apples and oranges really. I would imagine there are language issues, slight difference in the tech framework and legal requirements in each country.

I'm sure that doesn't do anything for your disappointment though, I'd hate to wait as well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
As others have mentioned, this is only launching in the USA today, however our team is working to bring the Google Assistant on Sonos to additional countries in the coming months. We're starting with the UK, Germany, Canada, Australia, France, and The Netherlands as soon as July. We'll share more about the country expansion as we get closer to availability.
Very disappointed in Sonos AGAIN. Received the email stating Sonos now has the Google assistant. Updated my speakers only to discover its US only.

Even had the cheek to put a Shop Now button in there. Misleading to say the least.

Settings Sonos players as default speakers isn't available with Google Assistant at this time. This is just the beginning of our work with Google. You'll see new features and improvements as we continue to develop with them.Well, it's encouraging this most important feature just maybe, possibly, might be available at some point. I'm not holding my breath, though.

This was only on Alexa a few months ago. I expect that it will happen much faster on Google, but still not to surprising that it's not there on day 1.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Great news. I eagerly await the service coming to Canada.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2

While you can use many Google Assistant features on Sonos, some features, like calling, messaging, and voice matching are unavailable on Sonos devices running the Google Assistant. We aim for the best experience we can deliver on Sonos as a music system vs. trying to do everything the developer makes possible as soon as it's possible. We’re always adding to the experience, and this is just the beginning of our work with Google Assistant, so the functionality and features will evolve over time with software. With Sonos you do get all of the benefits of the Sonos system in addition to the ability to use voice assistants.

Is that to say that some features may never come? I know the word from google was that unlike alexa all 3rd party speakers with google assistant have access to all features. I wasn't aware manufactures could chose to opt out of features. This was a big part in my decision to outfit my home with sonos ones in every room instead of Google homes. I do appreciate the superior quality of sonos and the other music features which is what made them worth the extra cost but those things don't outweigh access to the full Google assistant for me. Waiting a bit longer is no problem but if these features may never come I would have to divest myself of these speakers and replace them with official Google product
I live in Scotland. Thanks, anyway!
Userlevel 2
Badge
As of today, we've officially rolled out support for Google Assistant on Sonos players, and control of Sonos devices using Google Home devices. For more details, check out our announcement post here, and some of our getting started and tips and tricks posts.

Doesn't work! Thx.
Userlevel 1
I've been trying to get Google voice services set up on my Beam (living room) and One (bedroom). For whatever reason, the Google Assistant app can find my One in the bedroom, but it can't find my Beam in the living room. When switching back to Alexa, it finds both speakers in both rooms just fine.

I read somewhere that having a Google Home in the same room as one of these Sonos speakers might affect this. I did indeed have a Google Home in the same "room" as the Beam, but I have since changed that.

Any idea what's going on? I tried on both my 5GHz and 2.4GHz networks and still no luck.
Anyone else getting "subscription tier for google play music is not supported"? Do I require a paid subscription for this now?

I get this when trying to stream to sonos but not when I stream to google home device.

Thanks.
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
While you can use many Google Assistant features on Sonos, some features, like calling, messaging, and voice matching are unavailable on Sonos devices running the Google Assistant. We aim for the best experience we can deliver on Sonos as a music system vs. trying to do everything the developer makes possible as soon as it's possible.
This is rather condescending. I can understand things like calling and messaging. But how do you figure that speaker grouping is not part of a whole-home music system?? Also would have been nice if Sonos had been upfront and honest yesterday about the (many) limitations. From the blog/website, you'd get the impression that Sonos has full GA functionality. There isn't even a hint that basic speaker functions are completely missing.
I think I've seen indicated somewhere that a number of features, like selecting Sonos speakers as default playback targets, will be rolled out eventually. I also expect that in time, at least the voice enabled speakers will be integrated into the Home ecosystem like the Google Home speakers themselves, i.e. that they will see the addition of more controls in the Google Home app.

Voice match is something that I would like to see implemented very much. Surely, Sonos must understand that not all of their customers' households consist of only one person?
Userlevel 2

While you can use many Google Assistant features on Sonos, some features, like calling, messaging, and voice matching are unavailable on Sonos devices running the Google Assistant. We aim for the best experience we can deliver on Sonos as a music system vs. trying to do everything the developer makes possible as soon as it's possible.This is rather condescending. I can understand things like calling and messaging. But how do you figure that speaker grouping is not part of a whole-home music system?? Also would have been nice if Sonos had been upfront and honest yesterday about the (many) limitations. From the blog/website, you'd get the impression that Sonos has full GA functionality. There isn't even a hint that basic speaker functions are completely missing.

Yes this is pretty disappointing. Grouping with my other Google Home speakers and Chromecasts seems like it would be a core feature of being a Google Assistant device. I like the sonos sound quality but for the price(6x what I payed for my minis) and the wait of 18 months I expect full functionality. Much lower end companies (Insignia) have been able to implement more functionality faster(google assistant experience feels almost like it its a google product). Ryan S. "best experience you can deliver" is making my sonos work exactly like the rest of my Google Home's (I dont want to think oh I need to say this to my sonos because it works differently). Yes you have the option of two assistants but many of us just want to entirely disable Alexa and live with just Google Assistant.

It would be nice to have more transparency as well. It would have been nice to know much earlier that Assistant wasn't going to happen soon. As it got closer it would have been nice to know that functionality wouldn't be there. Give us some ideas of what the road map is. Had I known any of this i would not have bought Sonos until you had already delivered on promises. disappointment after disappointment.
The grouping functionality that the Sonos ecosystem offers is far superior to that of the Google Home ecosystem. Have you considered the possibility that it's not possible to group them together because Sonos do not want to cripple their system?

Where is the button in the Google Home app that I can use to group and ungroup speakers on the fly at any time, while streaming anything from music services, radio, local sources or even TV sound, without so much as a stutter?
For Google Home or related devices, I have to create a pre-defined group and add devices to it. Why do you think this is? The system cannot handle the dynamic way that Sonos groups speakers and it cannot handle all of the inputs that Sonos can!

Grouping Google Home/Chromecast together with Sonos would require the devices to interface in the same way, and that is unlikely to happen, since they are fundamentally different devices. Be aware that Sonos was already doing multiroom before anyone had ever thought of Google Assistant. If anything, the Google speakers would have to change to the superior way Sonos works, not the other way around. You would quickly find that all of these lower end companies that already had GA integration, would be struggling to make that happen. This is why Sonos is the more expensive option, because it's more than just a speaker with voice control!

The point about other speakers implementing GA much quicker just boils down to the same fact. These products are just that, speakers. Sonos is a much more complex system to have interact with the GA API. And, as has been mentioned here very often, it might as well have been Google dragging their feet, for fear of another competitor.

I'm not going to debate the policy of Sonos regarding their communication. Sonos do not share their roadmaps or timelines. Ever.
Anyone else getting "subscription tier for google play music is not supported"? Do I require a paid subscription for this now?

I get this when trying to stream to sonos but not when I stream to google home device.

Thanks.

I'm getting this same error from the google assistant.
Someone said you need to have a CC on file with Google Play Music even if you're using the free account. Well I have that and it still doesn't work. I even have a $25 Play Music credit.
Using the Sonos App on the phone, I can get Sonos to play my library songs that I uploaded to Google Play Music.
But it won't do the same thing when I ask Google Assistant.
It's acting as if the only supported music source is to stream from a paid account at Google Play Music.