Answered

Google Assistant Support

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

225 replies

Thanks Ryan S.!!

As for the default speaker function, good to know that it is just not available yet. I saw how to do it under the google device "Default Music Speaker" setting but did not see my sonos speakers so I thought I did something wrong.

Off and running!!
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
As of today, we've officially rolled out support for Google Assistant on Sonos players, and control of Sonos devices using Google Home devices. For more details, check out our announcement post here, and some of our getting started and tips and tricks posts.

Thats great Ryan!

Not be the guy at the party who #$%# all over the good news but I am curious why all the missing features? No calling.. no routines.. No voice match.. We were told the reason for the lengthy delays was that it was supposed to be perfect.. Is there an ETA for full support?
Still love my Sonos ecosystem and while I'm still rather disappointed that it was a solid year and a half (more than that if from the time of my pre-order) until my SonosONE could do what I purchased it to do at the onset. Though, to be fair (and I must be) I initially was simply in the market for an additional Play:1 speaker at the time and the Sonos:ONE was the same price so I bought it instead.

At the end of the day I'm simply overjoyed to finally have Alexa out of my kitchen. Native Googe devices have their strengths, and Sonos devices have theirs. I'm just happy they can finally communicate at all. I'll continue using the app for most tasks anyhow. Thanks, Sonos, for finally following through on your promise. The wait was long.
Any way to have audio play on Sonos but Video from YouTube on chromecast?

As of today, we've officially rolled out support for Google Assistant on Sonos players, and control of Sonos devices using Google Home devices. For more details, check out our announcement post here, and some of our getting started and tips and tricks posts.Thats great Ryan!

Not be the guy at the party who shits all over the good news but I am curious why all the missing features? No calling.. no routines.. No voice match.. We were told the reason for the lengthy delays was that it was supposed to be perfect.. Is there an ETA for full support?

Not sure where you heard it was going to be perfect. I think the idea was that the features that were supported were as bug free as possible. And Ryan may say different, but Sonos is pretty consistent with avoiding given ETAs...to avoid the bad PR from missing dates and such. Sonos has not even officially said it's a feature they will eventually support.
Would Google Assistant work with Sonos Amp/Connect/Connect:Amp via a Google Home Mini?
@palpatine242 At the risk of over complicating the answer @Ryan S provided, the rules he's providing only apply to the Google/Sonos integration. With Alexa/Sonos integration you can utilize Alexa groups to better control where the music plays when you make a request to Alexa.

You can group a Sonos room with an echo in that room so that commands automatically play to that Sonos room. For example, you can say "Alexa, play X" to the echo in your kitchen and your kitchen Sonos speakers will play the music.

Coming from Alexa, I would agree with @melvimbe on this if you have not started down the google assistant path yet and that is important for you. The 2 main things I am missing are the "play x" command and it plays in the room local to the voice device and sonos device and playing my own music through google play to a sonos speaker.

Like anything else in this evolving world though, you start to get used to it and naturally work around until the feature gets released. Hopefully one or more of the 2 above is going to be released soon. Default room speaker with sonos and grouping in google home should probably come together if Google home recognizes sonos as a smart speaker within the app like other google home devices.

Now that the integration itself is out, does anyone know what the next features of this integration being looked at are? Or, confirmation that it has not stopped at this.
Still not available in the UK. Rubbish.

US-only for now as stated in the announcement.

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/sonos-welcomes-the-google-assistant-6825467
Same product, different country. So what?

We watch Game of Thrones at the same time...
When will it be coming to Denmark. Have waited 1 1/2 year now.

Settings Sonos players as default speakers isn't available with Google Assistant at this time. This is just the beginning of our work with Google. You'll see new features and improvements as we continue to develop with them.

Well, it's encouraging this most important feature just maybe, possibly, might be available at some point. I'm not holding my breath, though.
If you're not able to add it due to country restrictions, just change the country of your Sonos account in the profile view. I live in Sweden and I managed to enable it that way.
Same product, different country. So what?

We watch Game of Thrones at the same time...

Apples and oranges really. I would imagine there are language issues, slight difference in the tech framework and legal requirements in each country.

I'm sure that doesn't do anything for your disappointment though, I'd hate to wait as well.

Settings Sonos players as default speakers isn't available with Google Assistant at this time. This is just the beginning of our work with Google. You'll see new features and improvements as we continue to develop with them.Well, it's encouraging this most important feature just maybe, possibly, might be available at some point. I'm not holding my breath, though.

This was only on Alexa a few months ago. I expect that it will happen much faster on Google, but still not to surprising that it's not there on day 1.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Great news. I eagerly await the service coming to Canada.
Ryan, my use case is to have 10+ rooms with in-ceiling speakers with 10+ Sonos Amps in a closet and a Google device in each room to listen for commands. I would like to say "OK Google, play "Song X" in "Room Y". Thanks!
Ryan, could you please explain?
I thought you could make groups and play the same thing in multiple rooms at the same time.
For example, during a party, couldn't I say "OK Google, play "Playlist A" "Downstairs", where Downstairs is a collection of Sonos Amps that are linked?
Is this just an issue with using Google Assistant to do it, or is Sonos not able to do this at all?
Thanks!
Userlevel 1
> HTBruce wrote:
>
>JoeCW wrote:
>Anyone else getting "subscription tier for google play music is not supported"? Do I require a paid >subscription for this now?
>
>I get this when trying to stream to sonos but not when I stream to google home device.
>
>Thanks.
>I'm getting this same error from the google assistant.
>Someone said you need to have a CC on file with Google Play Music even if you're using the free >account. Well I have that and it still doesn't work. I even have a $25 Play Music credit.
>Using the Sonos App on the phone, I can get Sonos to play my library songs that I uploaded to Google >Play Music.
>But it won't do the same thing when I ask Google Assistant.
>It's acting as if the only supported music source is to stream from a paid account at Google Play Music.

I have the same issue (as I'm sure many many people do). I have downloaded my music to the free version of Google Play Music. However, the new Google Assistant on Sonos One will not play my music -- it requires a paid subscription. As I understand it, this feature works on other Google Assistant devices such as the Google Home. It also works via the Sonos app. Given that both Google Play Music and Google Assistant are developed by the same company, and given that it works on other devices, it does not seem to make much sense that Sonos cannot support playing my own music library stored on Google Play Music.

Ryan S - could you please let us know if and when Sonos begins to support this?

In the meantime, I will probably switch back to Alexa (as the native support for Google's own music services was the primary reason I was looking to switch to Google Assistant)...

Thanks!

At this time, Google Assistant needs to use a Google Play Music Premium account to play music on Sonos. I'll make sure to let the team know you're looking for this, but for now, the only free services supported are TuneIn and Pandora when using Google Assistant.This is just painful. Such a long wait for such an arbitrarily limited delivery.

I have a large library of music sitting in my computer, which has the Sonos Desktop Controller installed. This same collection is in the Google Cloud and available through Google Play Music. I also have an Amazon Music subscription. All those work well with the Sonos app, but I can't touch any of them with the Google Assistant-Sonos bridge. What a let-down. It's the kind of thing that makes you just want to give up. Had a bought a Google Home Max none of this would be happening.

I would bet that it's Google that is requiring a paid premium subscription, not Sonos. Sonos has nothing to gain by such a restriction. The same goes for your Amazon music subscription. You certainly can't access Amazon music through a Google Home Max.

I am a software engineer and I have written silly apps integrated with Google Assistant. All you need is an OAuth server, a server to handle the GA requests, and the will to do it. Two years and all we get is this. Man...

I don't think this is a technical reason, but business. I also don't know that it's accurate to compare your apps to the development and testing required for this integration.

None of that is to say that your frustration is invalid. I just don't know that blaming this on Sonos, or inferring that this is a failure on Sonos development part, is going to be very productive in getting the services and features that you want.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2

As of today, we've officially rolled out support for Google Assistant on Sonos players, and control of Sonos devices using Google Home devices. For more details, check out our announcement post here, and some of our getting started and tips and tricks posts.Thats great Ryan!

Not be the guy at the party who #$%# all over the good news but I am curious why all the missing features? No calling.. no routines.. No voice match.. We were told the reason for the lengthy delays was that it was supposed to be perfect.. Is there an ETA for full support?
While you can use many Google Assistant features on Sonos, some features, like calling, messaging, and voice matching are unavailable on Sonos devices running the Google Assistant. We aim for the best experience we can deliver on Sonos as a music system vs. trying to do everything the developer makes possible as soon as it's possible. We’re always adding to the experience, and this is just the beginning of our work with Google Assistant, so the functionality and features will evolve over time with software. With Sonos you do get all of the benefits of the Sonos system in addition to the ability to use voice assistants.

Is that to say that some features may never come? I know the word from google was that unlike alexa all 3rd party speakers with google assistant have access to all features. I wasn't aware manufactures could chose to opt out of features. This was a big part in my decision to outfit my home with sonos ones in every room instead of Google homes. I do appreciate the superior quality of sonos and the other music features which is what made them worth the extra cost but those things don't outweigh access to the full Google assistant for me. Waiting a bit longer is no problem but if these features may never come I would have to divest myself of these speakers and replace them with official Google product
I live in Scotland. Thanks, anyway!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Sonos has confirmed 'early 2018' but that's as much detail that's available at the moment.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I don't think it was even "Early 2018"... I think it was just stated as being in 2018. Sonos' press release regarding Alexa and Google Assistant availability is here: Sonos unveils smart speaker with support for multiple voice services.
I just got an update for my Sonos one but to my dismay there was no google assistant in it :?:@:(

What’s going on sonos ?
I agree that the decision is probably a business one, but I doubt Google has the blame here. Google is in a mad competition with Amazon, and wants as much hardware as possible integrated with the Google Assistant. Also, having the ability to integrate with users' music library works in favor of Google too, as it shows the potential of having equivalent access to an much larger library via the paid service. Besides, Sonos already has access to music libraries via the app, and that includes libraries shared from home computers via the desktop version of the Connector.

Regarding who has something to gain with the restriction, it probably has to do with who gets the data being collected. It would not surprise me if this is at the heart of the artificial limitation. All I can say is that, as a consumer, I am standing at the losing end. As much as I love the sound quality of my Play 5, it is no longer the only kid in the block. It hasn't been for some time. I would not consider purchasing another Sonos product until this is addressed appropriately.