Answered

Google Assistant Support

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

225 replies

One question, and sorry if its been discussed, will the planned integration include chromecast support so that i can cast to a Sonos from my phone or from a google home? I would rather rely on the superior microphone in a google mini (and placement can be better), and just have it cast to a Sonos.

If this works like Alexa integration does, which I think is highly likely, then you will be able to make a music request to a google speaker and specify that you want it played on a Sonos speaker. For example "Hey google, play the gorillaz on family room", where family room is the name given to your sonos speaker(s) in the Sonos app. When you do this, you aren't really casting or streaming through your google home. The command goes to the google cloud, then to the sonos cloud, then passed to the sonos speaker which will then stream the music directly. It actually works the same way when you give voice commands to the Beam or Sonos One directly.

Chromecast may eventually become a feature Sonos supports, but I imagine it would be separate from the Google voice integration. Because Apple has airplay 2, and Amazon now has Alexa-cast, the casting market seems to be heating up and I wouldn't be too surprised to see chromecast come to Sonos as a side effect.

As far as speaker placement, I used to think that that I wouldn't want the mic and a music speaker placed in the same location as well. However, the Beam and Sonos One have changed my opinion on that. I can't speaked to whether the mics are better between Sonos and Google.
Hi there. New member here. I don't own any Sonos devices but i'm interested in the Play One and Sonos Beam. I do own a Google home and a couple on Minis, and a Chromecast audio into our soundbar. Google home has really got us into listening to music in the kitchen and around the house, but the sound quality is lacking, hence looking at a Sonos. For me though, I wont buy until there is Google Assistant built in (i'm not interested in Alexa for all the very good reasons listed above).

One question, and sorry if its been discussed, will the planned integration include chromecast support so that i can cast to a Sonos from my phone or from a google home? I would rather rely on the superior microphone in a google mini (and placement can be better), and just have it cast to a Sonos.

Hopefully this will be included and hopefully it will be soon so that i don't go and buy a Sony speaker with the above support already in place.
Userlevel 3
Badge

Starting today, Alexa will be using the same service for business service listings as Google Assistant and Siri.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-07-25/amazon-expands-alexa-s-brain-with-yext-business-service-listings
That's a reach. Yext data surely contributes to some locations in Google Maps by adding links to the menu or booking page, but that's for larger chains and companies, as these chains actually have the means to buy and maintain a Yext subscription. The local places database in GMaps is far more complete & it's collaborative and free so much more small businesses are present.
While I'm sure your fellow countrymen can ask "where's the nearest KFC?" and will probably get a correct answer from Alexa, now, try with a small independent restaurant around the corner.
Guess what, I just did.
And as I suspected, Google Home got it right the 1st time: Name, opening hours, and could even place a call directly to them and get me a table for tonight. Then I tried with Alexa and well...
- 1st attempt: "sorry, I don't know that one"
- 2nd attempt : gave me the opening hours of Dominos pizza instead - I was searching for "pomona's"
- 3rd attempt when I had to spell the restaurant out loud instead : found the correct place but answered "sorry, I don't have the business hours for this location"...

If you don't own a Google Home, just download the Google Assistant app on your phone and compare for yourself.

And that's just for basic local search, and far from being an isolated case. Happens almost every time for any kind of place that's not a large chain. Speaking of large chain, when I'm asking Alexa where's my nearest Boots (equivalent of Rite-Aid in the article you linked to), it mentions only the one that's a mile away on the high street, while avoiding the one that's literally around the corner from my house... sub-par.

And of course, still waiting for Alexa's voice profiles ; mobile/landline calling in the UK ; and continuous conversation (yes, you had it for a while, but for Alexa UK, it's still one request at a time, repeating the wake word every time)

Getting tired of this two speed development Amazon has for Alexa, while Google rolls out its features a bit more evenly around the globe.
Sure, Alexa has more exclusive skills and third-party integrations for now. But on the technology itself, Google Home, for MY use today, looks far more advanced. If the skills developers are porting their apps to Google assistant soon, it will become a no brainer for me.
So that's my use today. Mainly Google Home which rarely lets me down, and occasionally resorting to Alexa for some skills that are not on the Google Home yet. Hence the great advantage if sonos could make both of them coexist on their speakers, so I could get rid of the 2 devices in my living room...
Yes I know, and good for you. But as I previously said, none of these Alexa features are available in the UK yet... while Google Home rolled them out here... currently making Alexa an inferior product for UK users.

Starting today, Alexa will be using the same service for business service listings as Google Assistant and Siri.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-07-25/amazon-expands-alexa-s-brain-with-yext-business-service-listings
Userlevel 3
Badge
But back to the topic, I'd love to know if Sonos plans to allow us to summon either assistant just by continuously listening to both the different wake words: "Alexa", or "OK Google" (which would be great as I know some requests are better handled by a specific service), or if we'll have to go into settings and lock down the speakers to a specific assistant, in that case the Play One/Beam will only listen to a single wake word/service?
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
I bought a Sonos one after contacting Sonos about the support for google assistant. Sonos, do you have any updates on this? I am eagerly looking forward to this.
Alexa service for sonos is still not enabled in India. Indian users are still waiting for it.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Alexa can call any phone number in the US, Canada or Mexico, since last year.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/9/29/16387398/amazon-echo-free-voice-calls-us-canada-mexico

Alexa also has voice profiles.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202199440

Its hundreds of skills put it far ahead of the competition.
Yes I know, and good for you. But as I previously said, none of these Alexa features are available in the UK yet... while Google Home rolled them out here... currently making Alexa an inferior product for UK users.
Alexa can call any phone number in the US, Canada or Mexico, since last year.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/9/29/16387398/amazon-echo-free-voice-calls-us-canada-mexico

Alexa also has voice profiles.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202199440

Its hundreds of skills put it far ahead of the competition.
Userlevel 3
Badge

Echo also has calling. I use Echo Show for video calls to extended family all the time, with excellent voice quality. Google has nothing comparable, yet, though they've been making noises about a video version for ages. Alexa has no problem accessing WikiPedia, or store hours here in the US. Pretty sure it does profiles, too, though i've not set it up.

The thousands of skills available for the Echo range puts it leagues ahead of the competition. Too bad Sonos only supports a fraction of them.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying.
Echo has calling Echo to Echo only (At least in the UK that is)
Google Home has calling to Landlines & Mobiles. For free. In the US/UK/Canada.
In the UK Store hours from Alexa are patchy. Google Home uses the Google maps database which is way more complete and accurate.

Voice profiles are great. It allows requests like "what's in my calendar?" from different members of the house with personalised responses. Also prevents unauthorized access to your account, for ordering an Uber or buying something off Amazon for instance.
This feature was rolled probably 9 months ago in the US, but the UK version is still missing it.. not sure what's taking so long to roll an existing US feature onto the UK version of Alexa.
But at the same time Google Home had it out of the box since its release here... so definitely, from a UK perspective, Alexa is trailing behind, while at least GH is delivering the same experience to its users from both sides of the Atlantic.

But in the U.K., Alexa lags backwards: no continuous conversation, no voice profile recognition, and getting general answers from Wikipedia or opening hours is way better with google.
+ thé free calling feature on the home is quite a game changer as it replaces a landline.

Echo also has calling. I use Echo Show for video calls to extended family all the time, with excellent voice quality. Google has nothing comparable, yet, though they've been making noises about a video version for ages. Alexa has no problem accessing WikiPedia, or store hours here in the US. Pretty sure it does profiles, too, though i've not set it up.

The thousands of skills available for the Echo range puts it leagues ahead of the competition. Too bad Sonos only supports a fraction of them.
Badge
I'm holding out too...
I have 2 x Google Home Mini's, Philips Hue and TP Link Wi-Fi Plugs which all integrate into Google Assistant...
Can't be bothered to setup Alexa to then have to change back to Google...
Please hurry up SONOS 🙂
Badge
I'm still eagerly waiting for this feature as well
When oh When is this google assistant integration going to be upon us? I've got 2 One's and can't wait.........

In 2018.
When oh When is this google assistant integration going to be upon us? I've got 2 One's and can't wait.........
Userlevel 3
Badge
Not sure what the attraction is. I have two Google speakers, which I rarely use. Prefer Alexa. I suppose Alexa is just so much more natural and nicer to say than "OK, Google!", or "Hey Siri!". When Alexa can't answer something (getting rarer all the time) is about the only time I resort to asking Google. Siri is hopelessly dumb.

I agree with one point: the wake word Ok, google is dope.
But in the U.K., Alexa lags backwards: no continuous conversation, no voice profile recognition, and getting general answers from Wikipedia or opening hours is way better with google.
+ thé free calling feature on the home is quite a game changer as it replaces a landline.

As a main Alexa user for my smart home this is why I want to know if from times to times, using a play one, i’ll be able to use google assistant by just using the wake word, so if Sonos will be able’ to listen to both... otherwise it will have indeed no advantage over using a play 1 with a google mini on the side
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Not sure what the attraction is. I have two Google speakers, which I rarely use. Prefer Alexa. I suppose Alexa is just so much more natural and nicer to say than "OK, Google!", or "Hey Siri!". When Alexa can't answer something (getting rarer all the time) is about the only time I resort to asking Google. Siri is hopelessly dumb.

.. And thats not even getting into all the new google festures like the ability to have a continuous conversation without using the wakeword

Which Alexa released already. But I'm really in two minds. I initially purchased Alexa but returned her as I couldn't get her to work in the way I wanted and purchased a Google Home. I find the voice request of a general search much better from Google but for control of a Smart Home I think Alexa has the lead currently and so I purchased Alexa again after getting the Sonos One.
As with all technical echo systems, they ebb and flow with functionality. At the moment I think that Alexa has the lead and the momentum but who knows where next.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I couldnt agree with you less. After having used both there is no comparison for me.. Yes the wakeword is objectively worse but google simply understands everything i ask it where as Alexa is a useless cow who has trouble with even the most basic commands unless i phrase them exactly the way that she likes.. And thats not even getting into all the new google festures like the ability to have a continuous conversation without using the wakeword
Well, that’s why announcing if this is planned in the roadmap or denied by Google would be useful: shall I delay my purchase and upgrade to play ones, or just add home minis to my existing plays 1/3/5 to make sure I don’t get locked out of voice calling.

I probably would split the difference. I'd get some mini's to place in the same room as the 3s and 5s, and wait on the play:1s. After the features of the Google integration is announced, I decided whether a Sonos One is worth replacing the play:1s or if I'd rather just go worth more minis.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Well, that’s why announcing if this is planned in the roadmap or denied by Google would be useful: shall I delay my purchase and upgrade to play ones, or just add home minis to my existing plays 1/3/5 to make sure I don’t get locked out of voice calling.
In relation to my unanswered post on the previous page, knowing if we’ll be able to use both Alexa and google assistant at the same time would be great too
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Googles calling feature is available in Canada as well. I really miss it from my google homes (got rid of them in favor of outfiting every room in the house with sonos ones because I was told google assistant woukd he comming soon.. Almost a year ago.. Still waiting..) Very much hope this feature will he on sonos
Userlevel 3
Badge
I don't know if someone from Sonos could at least clarify this point?

Also, this is more on Google side, though, have they made any statement on the availability of their free voice calling feature (US/UK only at the moment) through a third-party speaker or will it be an exclusive for their home/home mini speakers? (As Alexa has done the same restricting it to Echo devices)
At the Beam launch they started a track with siri on a phone, and then stopped it using Alexa.

Yes, but not sure what that has to do with Google Assistant. For the case you described, the phone is streaming audio to Sonos through Airplay 2. It's not the same scenario as Sonos supporting 2 voice assistants (Google and Alexa) at the same time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
At the Beam launch they started a track with siri on a phone, and then stopped it using Alexa.
I don't think there is any downside to the Sonos One and Beam be able to respond to both wake words at the same time. From what I understand (I don't have one yet) during setup, you have to select the voice assistant you want to use, so I doubt you'll be able to do that. From a technical standpoint, it may be rather difficult on the Sonos Unit itself to handle both, regardless of what's happening in the cloud. There may also be some legal/contractual reasons preventing such a thing...don't know.

However, there's nothing stopping you from putting a google mini or echo dot right next to your Sonos One, effectively giving you both assistants, though not in as aesthetically pleasing. As well, I would guess you will be able to request music to play on Sonos from a mini or dot in the same setup. The Sonos skill is setup on the Alexa sign, and I'd be surprised if Google doesn't work the same.