Answered

Google Assistant Setup issues with Sonos One (Gen2)

• 23 December 2019
  • 75 replies

Hi,

I’ve seen slight variations to this issue on other threads but none that quite address it.

Problem

Google assistant was not working on the Sonos One speaker (the microphone was not active and not illuminated).

In an attempt to resolve this issue I unlinked the Sonos from Google and tried re-linking.

Now the situation is that when I go to re-activate the GA service within the Sonos App the following happens:

1.) I'm prompted to add GA to my Sonos

2.) On the "select rooms" page I select the Sonos

3.) I press "add to google assistant" button and I'm re-directed to GA app

4.) This then simply takes me to App Store to purchase/download GA (which I already have)!

5.) When I then go back to Sonos app it says "Linking Google account" and HANGS on this page indefinitely with a spinning wheel. 

6.) After a considerable length of time it times out and says "There was a problem adding google assistant". 

As a work-around for this I've tried adding/linking Sonos from the GA app itself. This is successful in adding the Sonos speaker (e.g. I can tell Google to play music from my phone to the identified/linked speaker and it works), however Google DOES NOT RECOGNISE THIS SPEAKER AS AN ASSISTANT DEVICE. 

Neither GH or GA identify the Sonos as an "Assistant Device". Previously I did have this working but it not longer works at all.

You can see the speaker itself is connected fine, however the ASSISTANT aspect of the speaker is not identified by Google.

Other things I've checked/fixed:

• Language was the same
  • Default music service same in GH/GA and Sonos (Spotify premium in this case, which I re-authorised)
  • Power cycled Sonos
  • Closed apps and restarted them
  • Removed the Home and created a new one again and linked devices fresh

Any ideas on resolving this would be much appreciated. I’m actually surprised more people haven’t experienced this!

icon

Best answer by alxndrdvl 25 December 2019, 22:07

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

75 replies

Userlevel 1

I was able to fix the issue on my end thanks to someone’s contribution on another thread.

When you try to add Google Assistant through the Sonos app, does it open the google assistant app or does it redirect you to the App Store instead? 

If it redirects you to the App Store, that’s where the problem is (that was the case for me).

This solved the issue for me :

Copy the URL from safari and edit it somewhere else.

If you have it like this:

https://assistant.app.goo.gl/?ibi=com.google.OPA&isi=YYYYYYYYY&ius=googleassistant&efr=1&link=https%3A%2F%2Fassistant.google.com%2Fdevice%2Fhelp%3Fprovider%3Dsonos-XXXXXXX%26unlink%3Dsonos-XXXXXX%26music%3Dtrue%26return_url%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.sonos.com%2Fapp%2Fpartners%2Fgoogle%2Fservices%2Fvoice%2Fsetupcomplete

Change it to: 

googleassistant://device/help?provider=sonos-XXXXXXXX&unlink=sonos-XXXXXXXX&music=true&return_url=https://www.sonos.com/app/partners/google/services/voice/setupcomplete

Replace XXXXX with whatever the numbers/letters you have on your end.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hey everyone, looks like the changing URL has worked for most of you, but there’s a potential fix in place now in the latest version of the Google Assistant app. If you’re still having trouble, you can try to delete the Google Assistant App from your iOS device. Then attempt to add Google Assistant from the Sonos app once more, this time you should be guided to "get" the Google Assistant App, tap get and once downloaded discovery should start. If that doesn’t work, trash both the Google Assistant app and also the Google Home App if installed and try again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Thanks for sharing alxndrdvl! There’s currently an issue the team is working on with using iOS 13 to set up Google Assistant, which was mentioned in this thread. We’re working to get it resolved as quickly as possible.

Had the same issue with setup, not a great initial experience with this product or company :( 

In the end I had to use my partners phone and for some reason that worked (despite also sending us to the App Store instead of the google assistant app).

An hour on Christmas morning that could’ve been spent with family instead of being frustrated at what is supposed to be an easy setup process (as it has been for every other Google connected device I have purchased)!

I SOLVED this by unlinking Sonos in my Google Home app > Setting > Works with Google then re-linking. It was like the Google Home App needed to re-negotiate or initiate with my Sonos App/account/devices. 

I  have exactly the same problem. Does Google/Sonos have problem with their services?

I have the same issue… please look in to this asap. Same issue with both Gen 1 and Gen 2

Userlevel 1

Same exact problem with the 2 Sonos one I’ve just bought. Spent 1h30 on the phone with Sonos customer support and they were not able to help…

i litterally bought these speakers BECAUSE of that feature and now it’s not working....

i read somewhere that it might be iOS13 related? Are you all connecting on both apps though iOS13?

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

I just wanted to let everyone know that as of January 8th this issue should be fully resolved for iPhones, but we’re still working to get it fixed on iPad. 

For now if you have an iPad, we recommend using your phone while we continue to working on a resolution for this issue.

This is extremely frustrating. Google assistant has always worked fine on my device so I recommended my dad to get a Sonos device. So far we’ve been spending three nights trying to get the assistant to work on the device but we keep running into these issues over and over again. There are so many people reporting this problem that Sonos really ought to warn people that this currently broken. 

you will have to download the Google HOME app (not assistant) and unlink Sonos from there.  try that and then once you have unlinked the devices on Google HOME app, go back into the Sonos app and try setting them up again.  

Hi. Yes I’ve downloaded the google home app. And I have unlinked everything in my home from both google home which also shows the devices as unlinked in the assistant app. But for instance if I try to add Arlo on google home it will take me to the sign in setup page for arlo. But if I try to add Sonos it says it’s already link. 

Ryan - What do you think the eta is of having a fix in place for this issue?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hey folks, thanks for reaching out. We greatly appreciate you being a part of the Sonos family. It is our pleasure.

Are we still having trouble relating to Google Assistant Setup Problems on iOS, specifically presented with the error "There may be a problem"?

We’re currently tracking that problem and this issue should be resolvable via regular troubleshooting.

Option 1 - Select "Try" again" and it should work. If "trying again" fails:

Option 2 - Submit a diagnostic and reply to us with the confirmation number to check for any obvious issues within the diagnostic.

Option 3 - Use a different controller.

1. Attempt Setup using a different controller.
  2. Another iOS device or An Android device.
  3. Using an Android device should resolve the issue (be mindful if you borrow an android device, make sure you are using the correct Google Account with the assistant.)

Also, if using an Ipad and the redirect fails .. "Request "Desktop Site" is turned on by default in the Settings app ( Settings > Safari > Request Desktop Site ). When you turn that off, the link should open in the App Store correctly. Use another iOS Controller or an Android Controller.

Let us know how it goes. We and the community are always here to help.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Yes, I had that problem too when I attempted to remove and re-add my Sonos speakers to see if it would fix some of the ongoing issues with GA on Sonos. Not sure how I got around it myself, but I got past it eventually.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Those settings should all be cloud based, not in the app running on your phone. Deleting it from your phone shouldn’t cause any of those connections to be affected.

It would indeed be nice to have some clue of where to start. I tried changing the wifi, but that didn’t work. Installing and re-installing, but no change. I don’t have any device with a previous iOS, but if that would work, I would know where to look for the solution. Then again, if that causes the issue I would expect Sonos/Google to come with an update.

I have attached some snapshots. It says ‘Sonos is linked ‘ and ‘account linked successfully ‘ but in actual Fact my Sonos devices are nowhere to be seen. It feels like it wasn’t unlinked properly and I can’t seem to be able to unlink it now 

Hello @Ronald_vdL. I understand your frustration about Google Assistant, and appreciate the feedback. Are you trying to to add Google Assistant from an iPad by chance? We have noticed a small bug with adding Google assistant from an iPad. As a workaround, are you able to add Google Assistant from your phone? 

Either way, we would like to have you submit a diagnostic of your system and reply back with the confirmation number. This will allow is to see how your system is functioning, and help provide a resolution.

Badge

I just wanted to let everyone know that as of January 8th this issue should be fully resolved for iPhones, but we’re still working to get it fixed on iPad. 

For now if you have an iPad, we recommend using your phone while we continue to working on a resolution for this issue.

Hi Ryan, I am still having problem using my iPhone to add Google Assistant. I was able to add GA to one Sonos device.  When I tried to add to my second Sonos, the Sonos app directed me the GA app but after a while the GA app said “There may be a problem”.  When I returned to the Sonos app, it said “Try again”.

I have tried all the advices in this thread, uninstalling, reseting, blablabla, still the same. 

I then tried using my Android phone to do the setup, everything went through as a breeze!

Although I now have all my Sonos GA linked, iPhone Sonos and GA app still has a problem.  I will not try using the iPhone again until I have confirmation from this forum that it is really ok  

Hey everyone, looks like the changing URL has worked for most of you, but there’s a potential fix in place now in the latest version of the Google Assistant app. If you’re still having trouble, you can try to delete the Google Assistant App from your iOS device. Then attempt to add Google Assistant from the Sonos app once more, this time you should be guided to "get" the Google Assistant App, tap get and once downloaded discovery should start. If that doesn’t work, trash both the Google Assistant app and also the Google Home App if installed and try again.

Easy and straight forward solution, works perfect for me, thank you!

I was able to FINALLY get GA to work by UNLINKING my Sonos devices from the GOOGLE HOME APP FIRST. 

then, go back to Sonos app, sign in and start the set up all over again. This worked for me and super easy!!

Thanks alxndrdvl. Works

I’ve tried the fix above and now get an error on Google Assist that says “There may be a problem”

Anyone else get that and if so any ideas on a fix?

Badge

I tried what Ryan suggested, first removed google assistant and reinstalled. No luck. I then removed google home and reinstalled. I don’t get sent to the App store anymore. I actually do get to the point where it finds my device but after I hit “ALLLOW” I get the error “oops there was a problem”. I hit try again but this time it does not find my speaker. Argh. This is very frustrating. 

Just an FYI- I did try from my Android tablet, did not work either. I am going to try from an older iPad. Sonos App does not work on old iPhone :(