Question

Google Assistant on Sonos Move not recognising my commands

• 25 December 2019
  • 7 replies

I’ve just got a sonos move and have set it up where i used to have a google home.

The google home used to work quite well. I could play music, get weather/jokes, ask questions. It would recognise my voice, and that of my wife and son.

I configured my sonos move and now its terrible! It recognises when any of us say ‘ok google’ but the only person whose commands it understands semi-reliably is my son. My wife and i can’t get it to do anything. In the ‘my activity’ on google assistant it just has ‘unknown voice command’.

Any ideas?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Any ideas?

It is a very poor implementation overall. Limited functionality and what it does often only works half-baked. Then to think it took for ages to bring GA to Sonos, because they wanted to do things better from the start than with Alexa. Alexa works better actually.

Ha - i tried alexa and it works perfectly. Think you might be right about the google assistant implementation. Thanks for the tip - actually alexa is pretty good!

I am having the same problem on GA under my activity I am getting the following error “Unknown Voice Command” I have tried another google account without joy, Alexa does work but I am reluctant to use it. 

I have the same issue on a new Sonos Move (diagnosis ID: 1477074619)

Google Assistant responds to a handful of basic commands (what time is it, what’s the weather) but never responds for anything more complicated (skip this song, what’s this week’s forecast, what’s my first meeting). 90% of the time, these queries have no response at all or I get “Sorry, something went wrong”.

My Google Home Mini with the same account on the same WiFi has none of these issues.

Here’s what I’ve tried (none of which have worked)

• Factory reset of Move
  • Unlink then relink Assistant in iOS Sonos, Home and Assistant apps
  • Delete and re-install Assistant and Sonos apps
  • Connecting to a different Google account
  • Changing language from UK English to US English

This issue has been happening for months. I bought the Move specifically for its Assistant integration so this is extremely disappointing and Ive wasted hours trying to resolve the issue.

I have the same issue on a new Sonos Move (diagnosis ID: 1477074619)

Google Assistant responds to a handful of basic commands (what time is it, what’s the weather) but never responds for anything more complicated (skip this song, what’s this week’s forecast, what’s my first meeting). 90% of the time, these queries have no response at all or I get “Sorry, something went wrong”.

My Google Home Mini with the same account on the same WiFi has none of these issues.

Here’s what I’ve tried (none of which have worked)

• Factory reset of Move
  • Unlink then relink Assistant in iOS Sonos, Home and Assistant apps
  • Delete and re-install Assistant and Sonos apps
  • Connecting to a different Google account
  • Changing language from UK English to US English

This issue has been happening for months. I bought the Move specifically for its Assistant integration so this is extremely disappointing and Ive wasted hours trying to resolve the issue.

I have the same problem on the Move.

I also have a Sonos beam ( and a google home mini and hub) setup with Google assistant, on all of these devices all commands work. 

Did you find a solution ? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Greetings folks,

Thanks for chiming in. Please try these steps below:

• Speaker functions as expected when controlled via the Sonos app.
  • Music service accounts match on both Sonos and Google Assistant
  • Verified only one and the correct Google account is being used.
  • Ensure your Phone/Tablet isn't inadvertently picking up the command.  
  • Remove Sonos devices from GA account and re add assistant 
  • Temporarily wire the Speaker to your Wi-Fi Router via Ethernet.

I’m having the same issue. Just bought the move today. Connected to google assistant but will not answer anything. “ok google” chimes and goes back to playing music instantly. when i look at google activity and it says Unknown voice command over and over. I would say bad microphone but it hears “ok google” every time. Anyone got a fix? i’m not switching to amazon assistant.