Answered

Google assistant not available in Canada... Really?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 34 replies
So after finally supporting Google assistant I find that I've got a further wait ahead of me 'cause I don't live in the states. Great job yet again Sonos.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 2 July 2019, 16:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

25 replies

Are you sure it's Sonos and not Google that is the cause for Canada to be released at a later date?
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Are you sure it's Sonos and not Google that is the cause for Canada to be released at a later date?

Sonos has been talking this up since 2017 and doesn't tell non US customers they need to wait longer. They own that even if Google **** them over.

It is what it is but 2017 long.
Sonos has been talking this up since 2017 and doesn't tell non US customers they need to wait longer. They own that even if Google fd them over.

It is what it is but 2017 long.

The Google Assistant is available on Sonos in the countries listed below. You'll also find a list of countries where the Google Assistant will be supported on Sonos soon.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3491?language=en_US
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I don't really care. It's Sonos I paid and it's Sonos that keeps under delivering.

Are you sure it's Sonos and not Google that is the cause for Canada to be released at a later date?I don't really care. It's Sonos I paid and it's Sonos that keeps under delivering.

You did not pay for Google Assistant, it has been delivered for free.
It's a value added feature.....you paid for it when you bought into a "living" digital ecosystem.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Are you sure it's Sonos and not Google that is the cause for Canada to be released at a later date?I don't really care. It's Sonos I paid and it's Sonos that keeps under delivering.
You did not pay for Google Assistant, it has been delivered for free.

I don't want to make this a fight but the feature was announced when I bought my speakers so, yes I did pay for it.
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
The Google Assistant is available on Sonos in the countries listed below.

Well technically it's "country", since there's only one: United States.

I suppose Sonos needs to delay Canada a bit while they add French langauge support, or at least a label saying "Non disponible en français".😊
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/bp6yev/canada_left_out_of_google_assistant_update/
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/bp6yev/canada_left_out_of_google_assistant_update/
DING DING DING!!!
Thanks.
Badge +2
Face it, It will be still limited just like alexa is on Sonos. If you really want all the feature of google assistant than just sell your sonos and buy an assistant device. Or Hook a playbar to your tv and use chromecast to play music to your tv which plays through sonos. I have been slowly selling my sonos gear because there is more feature rich tech gear out there.
Userlevel 2
And the Nordic countries?! Not even in the "coming soon" list.

Based on Sonos previous abuse of the word "Soon" this is really depressing.

We do speak English here!!, so there is no need to wait for support for Swedish or any other Nordic language.

I can almost promise that 99.9% of the owners of Sonos speakers in Sweden speak fluent English!

This is especially disturbing since Sonos Sweden posted news (In Swedish) on the upcoming Google Assistant support coming later this year (back in 2018)

😥

We do speak English here!!, so there is no need to wait for support for Swedish or any other Nordic language.

I can almost promise that 99.9% of the owners of Sonos speakers in Sweden speak fluent English!
This is especially disturbing since Sonos Sweden posted news (In Swedish) on the upcoming Google Assistant support coming later this year (back in 2018)

😥

Has more to do with Swedish (media) laws and regulations rather than with the Swedish language.
Userlevel 5
Badge +8

"Soon" in the technology industry has a slightly different definition than in general English. In the technology industry it means "some time between next week and never", and is not meant to imply any sort of schedule or commitment. ☺️
It was sold to me in 2017 based on the suggestion that Google Assistant would be supported that year. Still waiting.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
It was sold to me in 2017 based on the suggestion that Google Assistant would be supported that year. Still waiting.

Hi there,

I'm not sure where you're located, but Google Assistant is available on Sonos systems in the US right now. You can read more here.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Hoping that Google Assistant should be available for the Sonos Beam and Play One in Canada July 9th, 2019.

Best Buy Canada indicated July 9th in their flyer.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/06/22/google-assistant-canada-sonos-speakers-best-buy-july/
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Ohhh. This site says July 3rd. But it is older than the June 22nd Best Buy ads. So I am guessing the July 9th date is more current estimate.

https://blog.bestbuy.ca/tv-audio/sonos-google-assistant-announcement
Just checked sonos app from Canada. When adding google assistant voice service, it now takes me to sign up google home app and connect google assistant. But as soon I try to connect sonos in google home, it gives error “not available in your country”
Previously, this message was shown on the sonos app itself. Does it mean they are in middle of enabling it in Canada???
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
This article indicates Google Assistant is available in Canada today, July 2nd. (also U.K., Germany, Australia, France and The Netherlands)

Read more at MobileSyrup.com: Google Assistant now available on Sonos One, Beam speakers in Canada

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/07/02/google-assistant-now-available-canada-sonos-one-beam
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Starting today, Google Assistant availability on Sonos is expanding to Australia, Canada, Germany, France, the Netherlands, and the United Kingdom. You can find more details on our community announcement here.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Great news. So now we can move to the correct settings, re-test the stuff that wasn't working, and get it in the queue for a fix where appropriate.
Badge +2
I'll just wait a few more days into July and buy the Google home hub max and have so many more features like hand gestures etc Even the old Google max is like half the price of sonos Play 5 Sure glad I was able to off load my play ones. As for home theater being over 2000. I am moving on to way better sound bars that include eARC and atmos, not to mention other sound formats for cheaper.

Sorry sonos, I now see why your going the Ikea route.
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
Starting today, Google Assistant availability on Sonos is expanding to Australia, Canada, Germany, France, the Netherlands, and the United Kingdom. You can find more details on our community announcement here.

Great!

Next question: are there any fixes yet for the issues identified in the initial U.S. release? Is there any place we could check occasionally to see what changes might have been made?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Starting today, Google Assistant availability on Sonos is expanding to Australia, Canada, Germany, France, the Netherlands, and the United Kingdom. You can find more details on our community announcement here.Great!

Next question: are there any fixes yet for the issues identified in the initial U.S. release? Is there any place we could check occasionally to see what changes might have been made?

There aren't any specific issues I can think of from the US release that were carried over, or resolved for that matter. The day of there was a bit of an outage, but that was fixed quickly. Though there are certainly some features that have been requested, and feel free to add more to the list as well. We usually make a community post here when there are several things to add, but updates for features often come as cloud updates, so they might not be linked with a software update.