Google Assistant no longer playing the radio since S2 update

Userlevel 3

Hi, 

I have google assistant on Sonos Beam and Sonos One. It was all working fine until the S2 app launched a couple of days ago. Now, when I ask a Sonos to play a radio station (e.g. play BBC radio 2), google assistant initially replies with, ‘playing BBC radio 2 from TuneIn (as usual) but then fails and says ‘sorry, I cannot find what you’re looking for’. If I ask google assistant to play music it works fine (using Spotify). I assume this is a TuneIn issue but the status page isn’t reporting any problems.

I removed TuneIn service from the Sonos S2 app and re-added it, made no difference. I also rebooted all the speakers, also made no difference. 

Any ideas? Is there a problem with TuneIn? 

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

111 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Trash product, trash support, that’s where the speakers are going, in the trash! Pleas do get on every review site you can to warn people NOT to buy.

So today google assistant has been totally unresponsive. I’ve switched to Alexa and seems to be working ok, so goodbye GA until issues are fixed. It has been very unsatisfactory the length of time that Sonos is taking to fix the issue. All was working ok prior to S2 update, we’ll apart from very poor GA integration with many unanswered commands. Needs to be much better Sonos, this is not a google assistant enabled speaker, it’s a work in progress.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I’ve still got the same issue on Google assistant and BBC radio on S1.

Alexa has been working flawlessly since I switched from Google Assistant. It’s  actually much better integrated than Google Assistant with no frustrating silences or playing different stations or songs that are requested. 9/10 Alexa 0/10 Google Assistant. I think it’s unlikely I’ll go back to google anytime soon

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I have no idea how SONOS can say they have GA integration 

I agree 0/10

Sonos... We're all still waiting... Wondered if you can tell me if I can return all my gear to you as clearly these arn't as described and aren't fit for purpose…

A month to fix basic integration is poor... 

I'm getting sick of your little niggles which seems to occur every few months

So glad I stumbled across this thread. I’ve been unlinking my accounts like crazy trying to get GA to play my BBC radio stations! So annoying. 

the IFTTT workaround is a pain and won’t work for me as IFTTT can only be set up to play on one speaker but I have 3 different ones around the house. 

@Ryan S @Sonos  - please provide an update! 

This is taking a very long time to fix…...

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I think one way to resolve this issue is for everyone to buy a device from SONOS that has GA capability. 

connect it, try it, and then return it when it does not work. The reason for the return is ‘google Assistant does not work as described’

It is only when the CEO and senior management see that sales are up but so are returns that they may take action. Remember it is free delivery and free returns - but nothing is free so the costs SONOS to manage the returns. 

This is not a full solution as it doesn't allow you to change radio stations, but if during your previous session you had been listening to the BBC station that you now want to listen to, saying  "OK Google, play 'bedroom Sonos' or" OK Google, resume 'bedroom Sonos" will start up the BBC radio station from your previous session. This could help in the meantime, while they fix it . 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

while they fix it . 

Thanks

Looks to me like you are trying harder to find a solution than SONOS. 

There’s a different work around using an IFTTT Sonos applet- Volume then play. Fires Up 6 music with personalised voice command and GA response. 

Could you explain please?

Userlevel 1

How is this not fixed yet! It’s crazy. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Still waiting as well.

None of my family members are really using Sonos now because they can’t listen to radio using voice commands which is what they do a lot, especially in the kitchen.

They’d rather use a Google Nest Mini because there it just works.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Mine worked this morning (Thursday 6th August).  BBC Radio 4 started by Google Assistant. 

Finally.

@James Poole What device and software version do you have?

mine still isn’t working :-(

I have Google Display with Sonos 5.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Latest on twitter

https://twitter.com/sonossupport/status/1272538132706209797?s=21

We are currently investigating the issue with Google Assistant not able to playback of BBC radio stations on Sonos. We suggest using the Sonos app to initiate playback of the BBC stations using Sonos Radio or Tune In.

I didn’t realised they were making these changes to the support channels.

“This Tweet is from an account that no longer exists. Learn more

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Mine worked this morning (Thursday 6th August).  BBC Radio 4 started by Google Assistant. 

Finally.

Indeed, I have just tried it here and it worked! (Radio 4 and Radio 6)

This fix must have landed only in the past 12 to 24 hours. given those still having issues reported above in the last “23hrs”

Userlevel 1
Badge

@James Poole What device and software version do you have?

mine still isn’t working :-(

I have Google Display with Sonos 5.

Devices that started working for UK BBC Radio 4 this morning:

Beam: Main Speaker
Serial Number: 
Sonos OS: S2
Version: 12.0.3 (build 58179200)
Hardware Version: 1.23.1.10-2.1
Series ID: A100
IP Address: 
Audio In: Stereo 2.0
WM: 0 

Sonos One: Bedroom Speaker
Serial Number: 
Sonos OS: S2
Version: 12.0.3 (build 58179200)
Hardware Version: 1.26.1.6-2.2
Series ID: A200
IP Address: 
WM: 0

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

I just tried playing LBC and it still doesn’t work. All I get is “Playing LBC London on Global Player. Sorry, Global Player isn’t currently supported on [speaker name]”.

This still hasn’t been fixed, if it ever did work, that is.

Telling a Google Nest Mini to do the same thing always works. Please do fix this. Playing radio stations is such a basic thing.

Edit: Just tried playing Classic FM via voice command, this doesn’t work either. If I do encounter anything new I’ll report back here.

Userlevel 1
Badge

BBc works since about … 2-3 days for me… Sonos Beam and One tired of it all...

Userlevel 1
Badge

My setup has just started working too.  Cheers for the communication Sonos.  Never has there been a company that treats its customers so contemptuously.  Next setup WON’T be Sonos, that’s for sure.

Badge

I had the same problem on my google home mini, but solved it by using the phrase “Stream BBC radio 6” instead of “play”. 
This also works on my Sonos One. It’s only a workaround but maybe it will temporarily help. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks, we greatly appreciate your patience. Upon checking the issue is no longer occurring. Thanks for understanding and let us know if there’s anything else we can help you with.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

I just tried playing LBC and it still doesn’t work. All I get is “Playing LBC London on Global Player. Sorry, Global Player isn’t currently supported on [speaker name]”.

This still hasn’t been fixed, if it ever did work, that is.

Telling a Google Nest Mini to do the same thing always works. Please do fix this. Playing radio stations is such a basic thing.

Edit: Just tried playing Classic FM via voice command, this doesn’t work either. If I do encounter anything new I’ll report back here.

Is this ever going to work?