Google Assistant no longer playing the radio since S2 update

Userlevel 3

Hi, 

I have google assistant on Sonos Beam and Sonos One. It was all working fine until the S2 app launched a couple of days ago. Now, when I ask a Sonos to play a radio station (e.g. play BBC radio 2), google assistant initially replies with, ‘playing BBC radio 2 from TuneIn (as usual) but then fails and says ‘sorry, I cannot find what you’re looking for’. If I ask google assistant to play music it works fine (using Spotify). I assume this is a TuneIn issue but the status page isn’t reporting any problems.

I removed TuneIn service from the Sonos S2 app and re-added it, made no difference. I also rebooted all the speakers, also made no difference. 

Any ideas? Is there a problem with TuneIn? 

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

111 replies

Same problem on s2

Badge +1

Same problem here. Nest Hub + Sonos Play 5 Gen 2 (S2)

Badge

I have the same problem with Sonos one 2nd gen

For me, it is only the BBC radio stations not playing via GA.

Using GA, I can make my Sonos play Radio X, Heart, Magic Soul and Classic FM.

It “couldn’t find what I asked for” when asking it to play any BBC radio station.

The BBC radio stations will play when accessed through the Sonos app.

There’s a different work around using an IFTTT Sonos applet- Volume then play. Fires Up 6 music with personalised voice command and GA response. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

For me, it is only the BBC radio stations not playing via GA.

Using GA, I can make my Sonos play Radio X, Heart, Magic Soul and Classic FM.

It “couldn’t find what I asked for” when asking it to play any BBC radio station.

The BBC radio stations will play when accessed through the Sonos app.

“Okay Radio X from TuneIn playing on Lounge … sorry I can’t find what you asked for”

“Sure, Magic Soul from Spotify playing on Lounge …” It plays Magic Soul Imperial Mix by the band Distant People.

“Alright, Magic Radio from TuneIn playing on Lounge … sorry I can’t find what you asked for”

“Sure, Heart UK from TuneIn playing on Lounge …” It shows as loaded in controller but doesn't play. 

“Sure, Classic FM from TuneIn playing on Lounge …” It shows as loaded in controller but doesn't play. 

My Sonos system here has a Beam + 2 linked Play:1’s, 1 x Sonos One 1st Gen, 1 x Play:3 and 2 x Play:1’s stereo pair.

Hi there, I also have this problem.  I’m glad it’s not just me!! But I’d really like them to sort it out.  It’s interesting that the google home hub can stop playing the radio station if I start it from the app.  But it won’t start it from voice control.

Same issue here. Will be watching this thread for updates, fingers crossed we get some good news soon...

Userlevel 1
Badge

Same symptoms.

Doesn’t matter whether asking it to be played from “Sonos Radio” or TuneIn.

Come on Sonos.  Get the Beeb added as a service like Spotify or Deezer, that should satisfy their need for tracking.

Same here, very frustrating.

Userlevel 3

Hi All,

Interim update. I’ve done nothing to my setup but when I now ask google assistant to play bbc radio 2 she thinks she is playing it and in the Sonos app there is a retro looking BBC radio 2 icon that looks like we’ve gone back in time! It doesn’t work but feels like progress...I think. 

Same problem here.

Same problem with me trying to listen to Dutch radio

Hi, 

I have google assistant on Sonos Beam and Sonos One. It was all working fine until the S2 app launched a couple of days ago. Now, when I ask a Sonos to play a radio station (e.g. play BBC radio 2), google assistant initially replies with, ‘playing BBC radio 2 from TuneIn (as usual) but then fails and says ‘sorry, I cannot find what you’re looking for’. If I ask google assistant to play music it works fine (using Spotify). I assume this is a TuneIn issue but the status page isn’t reporting any problems.

I removed TuneIn service from the Sonos S2 app and re-added it, made no difference. I also rebooted all the speakers, also made no difference. 

Any ideas? Is there a problem with TuneIn? 

Thanks

Same problem here. Surely they will sort this out as a PRIORITY

Userlevel 1

Come on Sonos support team - there are enough people on here and probably thousands of others that are extremely peed off now - my wife is all for throwing the Sonos One in the bin. If it’s not your issue to fix, at least somebody from support put something on here that explains the issue and what (if any) actions are being taken to remedy the situation. What I don’t understand is why if I ask GA to play BBC Radio 2, it cannot play it from Sonos Radio - I have factory reset everything and am using the AWFUL S2 controller (because I now have to) Tunein is not even installed any more - the whole purpose of purchasing a Sonos One rather than a Play:1 was to use GA or Alexa to play the radio/spotify etc. But in the last week, the whole Sonos experience has been bloody awful.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi everyone, we are actively investigating the issue with our partners, but don't have any information to share right now. It doesn’t look like a message was added to this thread already, but the team has been on this since it was first reported. We’ll let you know when there’s some news.

Userlevel 1

Thanks, at least we know you're looking at it, that's reassuring.

Add me to the list. I have the same issue. Thought it was just me until I saw this post. Just spent the last 4 hours resetting, reinstalling etc to no avail.

Badge

I have gone back to Alexa where bbc stations work fine, in two minds whether to go back to Google if and when they fix it.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Add me to the list also

My wife has now taken a radio out of storage. The chances of me persuading her to upgrade the beam to arc is fading with this problem.

Userlevel 1

Hello All,

I too went to Alexa, but I was having some Spotify issues using.  So I had a think about it and decided to go back to GA, which I am much happier with anyway.  But what I did was this:

• Set up the Radio stations I want to use as Favourites in the Sonos App using Sonos Radio
  • Use IFTTT to create an Applet that is triggered by the command such as “put favourite 6 on” or “put 6 on”
  • This applet then calls the relevant favourite from Sonos
  • So when I now say “OK Google put favourite 6 on” or “OK Google put 6 on” it plays BBC Radio 6 Music

You just have to be careful with the wording because if you use Radio or 6 Music (for example) Sonos defaults to try using TuneIn radio.  This is the bit that is broken.  Alexa has a Skill that uses BBC sounds (created by the BBC themselves) and a Native GA speaker uses a direct connection to the BBC.  It is Sonos that defaults to the TuneIn service that is the bit that is broken.  I’m not sure why it doesn’t use Sonos Radio?

I am now back and working and have my BBC radio Stations available via my Sonos Beam.:grinning:

Same issue here – very frustrating. I used to listen to BBC Radio all the time, so two weeks without it has felt like a very long time. Hope there will be a fix soon.

I am having a problem with BBC Radio Scotland and Radio Clyde 2. It is not a BBC problem. Manual start through TuneIn on Sonos works, voice activated through Sonos One doesn't, same symptoms as above.

If I try using GA on my android phone it also fails. Once with an error message about radio station not being available in my country, another time it started another BBC station than requested.

Maybe some new check in profile about country of residence? As I have moved between Norway and Scotland the various profiles in GA, TuneIn, Sonos, BBC etc etc may be inconsistent…

Same problem here.

I started off using Alexa, but it was forever losing connection to Spotify which resulted in too many hours spent resetting all the various connections so I switched to Google Assistant. GA works far better for me, but it refuses to play radio stations lately.

In contrast my Google minis play BBC radio just fine.