Google Assistant no longer playing the radio since S2 update

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

111 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

This issue is not exclusive to SONOS S2 - It is also an issue for S1 users.

Yes definitely issue for S1 also

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Unfortunately it appears this is a forced update. My music services won’t work until I update my Sonos firmware and Sonos apps on all devices. Thanks Sonos.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

As previously mentioned in this thread I think it's more about a dispute between Google and the BBC and who's at fault from a customer perspective is anyone's guess.

Alexa/Amazon have added the BBC sounds app to their  platform and everything there works fine. Shame I still prefer the Google option but it's an ok work around whilst waiting for it to be sorted.

Me: Hey Google, play Smooth Radio

S1: Sorry I don’t understand.

Me: Hey Google, play Smooth

S1: Sorry I don’t understand.

Me: Hey Google, play Smooth Radio UK

S1: OK, playing Smooth UK on Tunein

Me: Hey Google, play Smooth UK

S1: OK, playing Smooth UK on Tunein

Me: Hey Google, play Radio X

S1: OK, playing Radio X on Tunein; sorry I can’t find what you asked for.

At the end of that nothing plays on my Sonos One.

Hi all,

Same here, replaced my Google Mini for better sound and have lost most used functionality within weeks (well what I used...BBC stations!) 

Joke Sonos, poor service

G

Userlevel 3

Hi Sonos,

Any update? This is becoming ridiculous. I reported this 25 days ago!! 

Sonos... We're all still waiting... Wondered if you can tell me if I can return all my gear to you as clearly these arn't as described and aren't fit for purpose…

A month to fix basic integration is poor... 

I'm getting sick of your little niggles which seems to occur every few months

So glad I stumbled across this thread. I’ve been unlinking my accounts like crazy trying to get GA to play my BBC radio stations! So annoying. 

the IFTTT workaround is a pain and won’t work for me as IFTTT can only be set up to play on one speaker but I have 3 different ones around the house. 

@Ryan S @Sonos  - please provide an update! 

This is not a full solution as it doesn't allow you to change radio stations, but if during your previous session you had been listening to the BBC station that you now want to listen to, saying  "OK Google, play 'bedroom Sonos' or" OK Google, resume 'bedroom Sonos" will start up the BBC radio station from your previous session. This could help in the meantime, while they fix it . 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Mine worked this morning (Thursday 6th August).  BBC Radio 4 started by Google Assistant. 

Finally.

Indeed, I have just tried it here and it worked! (Radio 4 and Radio 6)

This fix must have landed only in the past 12 to 24 hours. given those still having issues reported above in the last “23hrs”

Userlevel 1
Badge

BBc works since about … 2-3 days for me… Sonos Beam and One tired of it all...

Userlevel 1
Badge

My setup has just started working too.  Cheers for the communication Sonos.  Never has there been a company that treats its customers so contemptuously.  Next setup WON’T be Sonos, that’s for sure.

Same problem Sonos One gen 2, Google Assistant. Most radio stations that used to work now don’t.

I HATE Sonos.

Same issue here.

Does someone know if Sonos released a fix?

Regards

Badge

Same problem for me, although I think it has worked at least once since the S2 update so it might be coincidence.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Have same problem, I’m on S1 still. 

I have the same problem. Has anyone logged this with Sonos and received a response?

I'm having the same problem. I assume this is the  BBC/Alexa/TuneIn issue that is now also a BBC/Google/TuneIn issue. 

Unless the BBC and TuneIn come to a resolution then the only thing you can do is use IFTTT as a work around. Obviously that's far from ideal though

Userlevel 2

Same here, since upgrading BBC Radio is no longer working. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Latest on twitter

https://twitter.com/sonossupport/status/1272538132706209797?s=21

We are currently investigating the issue with Google Assistant not able to playback of BBC radio stations on Sonos. We suggest using the Sonos app to initiate playback of the BBC stations using Sonos Radio or Tune In.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Perhaps not so strange. I suspect the Google/Android link or the lack of some Android routine(s) because of the BeeB will be the problem.

Badge +1

Same problem here. Nest Hub + Sonos Play 5 Gen 2 (S2)

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

My advice - just get a smart speaker (eg, Google Nest Hub - just reduced in price, or an Alexa Show.  Better sound on Nest, but less versatile in other smart ways than Alexa).   Or just use your existing mini speakers if sound quality is no longer important..

In my opinion, Sonos has totally lost its way.

Badge

As previously mentioned in this thread I think it's more about a dispute between Google and the BBC and who's at fault from a customer perspective is anyone's guess.

Alexa/Amazon have added the BBC sounds app to their  platform and everything there works fine. Shame I still prefer the Google option but it's an ok work around whilst waiting for it to be sorted.

Badge

Fair point so not just BBC UK which is what I normally listen to as I like advert free and indirectly I am paying for it.

Also I have no knowledge of the technology, it's only my theory. Sorry for any misunderstanding.👍