Google Assistant - No Devices Found

Badge
I have 2 Sonos Ones that I am trying to run GA on (Alexa works fine).

I have removed all music services, transferred my Sonos to a Google Account and tried everything, but still the connection is not working. I have followed all the troubleshooting steps and things still don't work.

It seems like this integration needs a lot more polish.

Tried on iOS, Android, failures all around.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

Badge
Yes, single google home.
English (used to have French too, but removed it to try to get this working)
I have several switches and routers and a Cisco wireless network.
No premium music subscriptions at all.
Yes, I have tried adding the voice assistant from the room settings - same issue.
yes, I have tried unlinking and then re-linking Sonos from Google Home.

I’m having exactly the same problem. Added a L+R pair of Sonos Ones to a new room. Initially added Alexa but it’s very buggy - constantly telling me to wait until later. So I unlinked that and tried to link it to Google Assistant. I have an Android phone. But it can’t find the speakers.

Have a Google Wifi network and I can’t find any mDNS settings to screw with.

I really wish this stuff would “just work”.

Badge +2
Going back to Alexa
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

If you open the 'Sonos App>Settings>Room Settings>[Your Sonos Device]>Change Voice Service', do you have the option to select Google Assistant?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Can you submit a diagnostic and post the number in this thread for the Sonos staff to investigate.
De.NT

For the Sonos devices to be discovered by Google, the network apparently needs to allow the mDNS service. Can you check your router settings and (if switches are managed?) any switches and enable mDNS/Multicast/IGMP-Proxy service and see if that then resolves your issue.

Hope you get it sorted.
Badge
The mDNS services is allowed. The devices are on the same layer 2 segment.

Diagnostic 1971151405.

Diagnostic 1971151405.

I hope the Support Staff can get it sorted for you .. perhaps try changing your default DNS on your router too, to Google servers.

If you do get things resolved, can you kindly let us know the fix please, just for future reference .... thanks in advance.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Diagnostic 1971151405.

Thanks for sending in the report. I don't see any errors or information in the report which would explain this issue. I think it would be best to continue troubleshooting this live with our phone team. Please give us a call, our number and hours are found here.
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
Yes, single google home.
English (used to have French too, but removed it to try to get this working)
I have several switches and routers and a Cisco wireless network.
No premium music subscriptions at all.
Yes, I have tried adding the voice assistant from the room settings - same issue.
yes, I have tried unlinking and then re-linking Sonos from Google Home.

You shouldn't link from within the Google Home app directly, unlink it and start from within the Sonos app.
Make sure you have the Google assistant app as well, not just the Home app.

If you link it from the Google app first, trying to set it up with the Sonos app will result in "No devices found"
Badge
You shouldn't link from within the Google Home app directly, unlink it and start from within the Sonos app.
Make sure you have the Google assistant app as well, not just the Home app.

If you link it from the Google app first, trying to set it up with the Sonos app will result in "No devices found"

I didn't link from Google Home (only unlinked). The Link happens from Sonos (which transfers to Google Assistant and asks for my Sonos credentials). Even after the failed attempt, the Sonos is linked in Google Home.
Badge

The mDNS settings are specifically for an Enterprise Cisco network and would not apply to Google WiFi.

There are a few other threads with suggestions to try that might be more helpful for your situation.

Badge +2
It seem s so disappointing that Sonos can't figure this stuff out. To say it's released in Canada ( couple months after US release) and then for so many users having so many issues. I guess the long awaited 18 months was not long enough for them to figure this out with Google. I too like others suffer from it showing in GH but you go and ask it to play something and Google doesn't recognize it.
Troubleshooting notes or suggestions are terrible as none of it works. One suggestion is to look in the sonos App and room setting and look for Google Assistant- Well it does not show there. IT does not say if this is for all models of Sonos to see it or is it just for Sonos One /other newer models.
I am certainly glad I have not been investing more in to their hardware.
VERY DISAPPOINTING like the last several releases of new speaker quality. What happened, you were once my pride and joy of an audio system. It seems you went to focusing on paying high end people to be in your ads and not focusing on where the industry is today. The pass is the pass and your company can only suffer if your not paying attention or staying up to date to the world of devices today.
It seem s so disappointing that Sonos can't figure this stuff out. To say it's released in Canada ( couple months after US release) and then for so many users having so many issues. I guess the long awaited 18 months was not long enough for them to figure this out with Google. I too like others suffer from it showing in GH but you go and ask it to play something and Google doesn't recognize it.
Troubleshooting notes or suggestions are terrible as none of it works. One suggestion is to look in the sonos App and room setting and look for Google Assistant- Well it does not show there. IT does not say if this is for all models of Sonos to see it or is it just for Sonos One /other newer models.
I am certainly glad I have not been investing more in to their hardware.
VERY DISAPPOINTING like the last several releases of new speaker quality. What happened, you were once my pride and joy of an audio system. It seems you went to focusing on paying high end people to be in your adds and not focusing on where the industry is today. The pass is the pass and your company can only suffer if your not paying attention or staying up to date to the world of devices today.

Just to clarify, you will only ever find a voice assistant in 'Room Settings' if the speaker has the voice services capability... so it will obviously only apply to the products that have that ... i.e. the Sonos One (gen1 or 2) & Beam. You should see a section called Voice Services and whichever assistant is installed on the device is shown in that area. You can also change some voice service settings too, by choosing either Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa. For example you can switch off the 'wake word' chime sound.

I can’t speak for Canada, but GA on Sonos for Music playback is working okay here in the U.K.
Badge +2
Thanks for the clarification you provided on when you see voice assistant under rooms. So does voice assistant work for older sonos speakers or must you have at lease one of the newer speakers. It certainly doesn't appear that way. I have PLay 5 first gen, Playbar and sub and Google home hubs. Is it just OK for playback in GH. Maybe I already gave this product more attention than I should and maybe I should just sell of my gear.
Thanks for the clarification you provided on when you see voice assistant under rooms. So does it work for other speakers or must you have at lease one of the newer speakers. It certainly doesn't appear that way. I have PLay 5 first gen, Playbar and sub and Google home hubs. Is it just OK for playback in GH. Maybe I already gave this product more attention than I should and maybe I should just sell of my gear.
Yes, so if you had say a Sonos One with GA installed called ‘Kitchen' ...and an older Play: 3 called 'Bedroom' for example, then you can say to GA on the Sonos One...

”Hey Google, Play some music” ... this will play the music on itself in the Kitchen
or..,
”Hey Google, Play some music in the Bedroom” ... this will play the music on the Play: 3 (Bedroom) device.
Likewise, I have a Google Home Hub Mini and I can say 'Hey Google, Play some music in the Kitchen” and it will play on the Sonos One (Kitchen) as just mentioned in my previous post.
Badge +2
Yes thanks
But I don't have anything new. And what I have doesn't appear to be recognized by Google When I say OK Google play (Artist Name) on master bedroom - Google response Sorry I can't do that yet. Despite seeing it in GH
I do, and I get through to the Google Assistant app, and it looks for new devices and it says no devices found. My device is still shown in the google assistant app though and I can still control the device from there, but the voice service isn’t active so saying ‘hey google’ does nothing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I do, and I get through to the Google Assistant app, and it looks for new devices and it says no devices found. My device is still shown in the google assistant app though and I can still control the device from there, but the voice service isn’t active so saying ‘hey google’ does nothing.
Hmmm, have you tried opening the Google App>Settings>Home>[Select the Group containing your Sonos devices] then select your Sonos device and select 'Unlink Sonos'?
There is no option to unlink on any of those screens (see screenshots below). If I click Add in the home tab then Sonos is shown as one of the services, and if I click that I can unlink and it will unlink the entire Sonos account. If I then go back to the Sonos app and go through the linking process again, Google asks me to login in to Sonos again and give access, then it searches for new devices but finds no new devices. If I got back to Sonos voice services still aren’t active. If I go back to the google app then all the devices are there again. I can’t see a way to remove an individual device from the google app.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
That's strange what platform are you running the App on? On my Samsung S7 I get these options:

Badge
I am up and running. It turns out my Cisco Enterprise network was not passing the required MDNS traffic during setup. In order to discover the devices, the Sonos Speaker needs to send MDNS packets (UDP port 5353) to the mobile device doing the setup.

I setup a very old WiFi bridge and connected my mobile device temporarily to that SSID and configured the assistant. They still work once that old SSID is gone.
Badge
I changed some settings on my wireless controller and got it to work.

Under the MDNS settings, I need to add the Google Assistant setup with this service string "_gasetup._udp.local." (without the quotes).
I have a similar issue. I connected google assistant to Sonos and it connected and worked fine for the first day. I was then experiencing issues so I thought - I’ll disconnect and try and set up again. I removed google assistant and now I can find no way to reconnect.

I have gone through the exact same procedure I did the first time (more tab -> voice services -> google assistant -> select room -> add). Google looks for devices but finds nothing, however the devices I added are still in the google assistant app and there is no way to remove them. All I can do is unlink from google assistant but this does nothing. When I try and reconnect with google assistant again it relinks Sonos but finds no new devices.

My assumption is what is happening here is google is finding no NEW devices, so it never links back to the Sonos app to tell it it’s been linked successfully. So the device is enabled and added on google assistant (I can control it from the assistant app, turn it on/off, play music, change volume) but the voice light is not active on the device and when I say ‘hey google’ nothing happens.

I think Sonos needs to find a way to detect whether a device as already been linked with google assistant and if the user is enabling it, then just enabling the voice service. I’m sure it’s more complex than that though..