Question

Google assistant + Google Play Music + SiriusXM

I’m thinking about buying a Sonos One to replace my google home.

I would like to know if the Sonos One can accept the following voice commands seamlessly:
"Hey Google, play What's Up by Miles Davis" (using Google Play Music)
and
"Hey Google, play Seventies on Seven on SiriusXM" (using SiriusXM)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi @landobando ,

Absolutely, I am certain the Sonos One will accept those voice commands. You can find a list of available commands for Google Assistant HERE.

I certainly hope that helps, thanks again for reaching out.

Userlevel 1

You’d think a command like “Hey Google, play [channel] on SiriusXM” would work, but it currently does not. At least not for me and the other people who have written here:

https://en.community.sonos.com/google-assistant-and-sonos-229109/new-google-assistant-siriusxm-integration-not-supported-6831908?postid=16372112#post16372112

It almost works. It acts like it’s going to work and then says it’s not supported. For example, when I say, “Hey Google, play channel 15 on SiriusXM,” the Sonos replies with “Sure, playing The Pulse on SiriusXM,” followed immediately by, “Sorry, it looks like SiriusXM isn’t currently supported on Kitchen.” So, the command is recognized, but it just doesn’t work for some reason. Have a look at that other thread.

Now, for other radio stations it seems to work fine. I can say, “Hey Google, play 660 News [my city’s local all news station],” or any other stations from TuneIn, and that works fine.

Userlevel 1

I am having the same issue. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks. Thanks for reaching out! It is working when using the Sonos app? Streaming subscription is required to work with Sonos and Google Assistant (US and Canada only). Just let us know here. Thanks!

Userlevel 1

Krishma,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am able to play SiriusXM channels on the Sonos speaker by using the Sonos app. However, I am not able to use the Google Voice Assistant to make that happen. And I don’t think it works for anyone else either; please see the longer discussion on this issue in this thread: https://en.community.sonos.com/google-assistant-and-sonos-229109/new-google-assistant-siriusxm-integration-not-supported-6831908?postid=16372112#post16372112 

Here is my post from that thread:

I just set up a new Sonos One G2 yesterday and had to choose between Alexa or Google Assistant. I was led to believe that SiriusXM would work with Google Assistant, and it almost works. As others have described, when I say, “Hey Google, play [channel] on SiriusXM,” the Sonos replies with “Sure, playing [channel] on SiriusXM,” followed immediately by, “Sorry, it looks like SiriusXM isn’t currently supported on Kitchen.”

At first I thought maybe it was because SiriusXM wasn’t set up in the Sonos app, only in the Google Assistant app.* (At support.sonos.com/s/article/3467, it says, “Make sure that any music services you add in the Google Assistnat app have also been added to your Sonos system in the Sonos app.”) I’m not sure why that’s required, but anyway, I did it, and it still doesn’t work.

I can play SiriusXM stations on my Sonos speaker using the Sonos app. And I can play SiriusXM stations on my Sonos speaker via AirPlay using the SiriusXM app. I can even use the Google Assistant on my iPhone to play SiriusXM stations on my iPhone. But it won’t play them to the Sonos speaker (it gives a similar response about not supported), and I can’t use a voice command on the Sonos to play SiriusXM, which I was really hoping to do.

Do I need to start all over again and try with Alexa instead? I don’t really have the time to keep messing with things that may or maybe not work, and overall if I have to use one of these two companies’ voice assistants, I think I prefer it to be Google’s.

Userlevel 1

Same situation for me as Krishma describes.

Userlevel 1

Same situation for me as Krishma describes.

I think you mean me, CHCN (Chad). Krishma is the Sonos staff member.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @CHCN, thanks for sharing this with us. 

Yes, upon checking the SiriusXM using Google Assistant is not yet supported with Sonos. For now, you can ask your Google Assistant to play music from iHeartRadio, TIDAL, and TuneIn Radio if those services are already added to your Sonos system, but they can’t be directly added to your Google Assistant app. Also, Apple Music is not yet currently supported for use with the Google Assistant on Sonos. You can try the current workarounds like Airplay, or maybe try it with Alexa voice service. 

We don't have any news to share today and we'd be happy to share your interest with the team.

Userlevel 1

Yes, I meant as CHCN described.  Thanks.

Userlevel 1

Hi @CHCN, thanks for sharing this with us. 

Yes, upon checking the SiriusXM using Google Assistant is not yet supported with Sonos. ...

We don't have any news to share today and we'd be happy to share your interest with the team.

Thanks @Krishma M. Is there an estimate for when this might be fixed? Is this something the team is even working on? (After all, it’s so close! It almost works!)

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @CHCN, I don't have the exact timeframe and it's our company policy not to talk about our future products/features. You can subscribe to this link for more updates once we have something to share. We’re doing our best here to provide the best experience we can provide. Thanks for your patience.