Google Assistant does not play Radio Stations

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

66 replies

My conclusion is that Sonos are not fit for purpose for voice activation with Google Assistant. Compare the experience to just using a google Speaker and it’s sub-optimal

Same issue. Any news on this?

I live in Sweden and I usually tell my Sonos One to play swedish radio stations like P1, P3, P4 Halland, Radio Bastad, Rix FM. 

Recently GA says it cant’t find the radio station on tune-in and doesn’t play it.

They are all visible in the Sonos app and I can select them manually from the internal services Tune-in, Sonos Radio and Sveriges Radio.

Doesn’work: P1, P4 Halland

Work: P3, Radio Bastad, Rix FM.

What’s happend?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @flytzen & @Doug Ames,

Have you noticed any odd behavior using any other commands in Google Assistant such as asking the time or the weather?

If you change the command syntax to be more specific by including call letters or frequency or specifying Tune-In as the service, is there any change in the google assistant behavior? 

Can you submit a diagnostic report from your Sonos app after one of these playback failures so that we can take a look at the data in your Sonos system?

If you can include the confirmation number in your response we will be happy to look it over.   

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @Doug Ames,

Thank you for your detailed post outlining this issue. 

Can you follow these steps to submit a diagnostic report from your system after testing these commands?

Settings > Help&Tips > Submit Diagnostic

I’d like to see if there is anything under the hood that could be preventing this playback.

Is your Sonos account still linked to your Amazon Alexa while you are trying to trigger playback via Google Assistant?

Thanks @Doug Ames 

@Jean C. is there likely to be any progress on this? Seems a reasonably simple fix and fairly key part of having google assistant incorporated in the product. 

Userlevel 1

Please do. Its really the main thing we use Sonos for - BBC radio…Will switching back to Alexa assistant fix it for now?  Thx 

That's what I've done for now and it works with Alexa due to the BBC skill.

Feels like a big step backwards though using Alexa to me and it refuses to play my Daily mixes on Spotify as it says it can't find them!

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

The workaround I use is to set the stations I want up as Sonos Favorites, then I use an IFTTT Google Assistant custom command to play that Favorite.

For example where GA on Sonos can’t play my local news stations from TuneIn, I set it up as a Favorite radio station Station1 in the Sonos app, then I create an IFTTT command so that if I say “Hey Google, local news” it plays favorite Station1.

+1 reporting same issue here with Sonos One and same issue using a Google Home Hub with a Sonos Amp set as its default speaker 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

I just found out that the Assistant on my Ones/Beam cannot seem to use Assistant actions. If I tell Sonos to play Radio 4 on the BBC, it says that the BBC isn’t currently supported on [speaker name]. All my other Google Home speakers support this but Sonos doesn’t. Even asking it to play Radio 4 on TuneIn doesn’t work. All I get is silence.

Trying to play LBC/Classic FM on Global Player doesn’t work either. It also tells me that Global Player currently isn’t supported on [speaker name]

Issuing the same command to my Google Home speakers always works.

Sonos is clearly at fault here, it doesn’t seem to support Assistant actions!

This needs to be fixed pronto!

Userlevel 1
Badge

This issue - seriously - is utterly crap.  It used to work fine, now it doesn’t.   It has been going on for months!!!  I use - or used to use - this functionality all the time.  It’s one of the reasons I volunteered for the Beta programs.  ‘Hoping’ to have a solution soon says a lot about where your priorities are.  Not being able or willing to set a time-frame for a fix screams out disrespect, or at least, not giving a toss for all of us affected by it. There are plenty of respectable alternatives out there.

Moderator edit: Removed profanity

Userlevel 1
Badge

Moderator edit: Removed profanity

….and the critical statement it formed part of.  Nice one.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Another diagnostic for you in case it helps - using Sonos S1 to a Sonos One pair… 

“Hey Google, play Radio Five Live”

Reply is “OK, playing BBC Radio Five Live on TuneIn”

followed immediately by

“Sorry, I can't find what you asked for” 

Diagnostics submitted - 465778860

I’m also having this problem with my Sonos Move. Up until a few eeks ago, I could ask it to play “Fun Kids” and it would duly do so. Now, all of a sudden, it says “Sure, playing Fun Kids UK from Tune In…. Sorry, I can’t find what you asked for”.

However, opening the Sonos App on my phone and playing the station from there works fine.

As time goes on, I’m finding the whole Sonos / Google integration more and more problematic.

Reading this thread, I can’t believe that Sonos appear to be ignoring this issue.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Dufflebag, thanks for letting us know about that. We greatly appreciate your patience and sorry you’ve had to deal with this. Upon checking the issue is no longer occurring. Thanks for understanding and let us know if there’s anything else we can help you with.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

I just found out that the Assistant on my Ones/Beam cannot seem to use Assistant actions. If I tell Sonos to play Radio 4 on the BBC, it says that the BBC isn’t currently supported on [speaker name]. All my other Google Home speakers support this but Sonos doesn’t. Even asking it to play Radio 4 on TuneIn doesn’t work. All I get is silence.

Trying to play LBC/Classic FM on Global Player doesn’t work either. It also tells me that Global Player currently isn’t supported on [speaker name]

Issuing the same command to my Google Home speakers always works.

Sonos is clearly at fault here, it doesn’t seem to support Assistant actions!

This needs to be fixed pronto!

Is this ever going to be fixed?