Google Assistant app crashes while trying to set up Beam

• 24 December 2021
  • 14 replies

Just picked up a Beam (Gen 1). For the life of me, I can't set it up as a Google smart speaker. I am able to link my Sonos and Google accounts, but when I try to use the Google Assistant app to set up the Beam for use as a smart speaker, the Assistant app (iOS) literally just crashes. The Assistant app recognizes the Beam, but then instead of finishing up the setup process, it just closes. Tried on my iPad - same result.

I posted on /r/sonos, and at least one other person is having this issue. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

I would perhaps try signing out of the Google App and uninstall it. Reboot the mobile device and the Sonos Beam too, reinstall the App, sign in and try it again.

If the software still fails after that, then also try a reset of the Sonos App (Settings/App Preferences) and on reopening of the Sonos App, bypass the opening screens and connect to the ‘existing’ system (do not create a new system). Then sign into your Sonos account and try the Assistant setup again.🤞

I waited a number of hours and tried again a few times and it finally worked. Who knows. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have the same issue with Google Assistant and my new Sonos One

I have the same issue with Google Assistant and my new Sonos One

Have you tried the suggestions mentioned earlier?

Yes. In fact, I’ve tried several times over 2 days.

@nicholas_a_b,

There are no currently known system issues in this area, as per the services status page;

https://status.sonos.com

As you have uninstalled/reset both Apps involved and rebooted the speaker and mobile device and the fact it is still failing after reconnecting to your Sonos system, I would perhaps go through the steps and when it fails again, immediately submit a Sonos Diagnostic report and contact/chat to the Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and let them know the steps you have taken so far and see if they can perhaps assist.

I experience the same issue with my new sonos one and google assistant… Anyone found the sollution?

Not very usefull, but I have the same issue here. I have rebooted the beam (v1) and my iPhone, removed and reinstall the Google assistant app, but it still crashes when switching from the Sonos to the Google app during the setup.

EDIT: I have been able to associate my beam with google assistant trough my old android tablet. The issue is certainly coming from the iOS google app ...

@Ruben12121 & @sylar12,

Maybe also submit a Sonos Diagnostic report and contact/chat to the Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and let them know the steps you have taken so far and see if they can perhaps assist you too.

@Ken_Griffiths I found the issue. My iphone 13 pro max has iOS 15.2 and I tried on another device with iOS 15.1 and that did the trick. Looks like an ios 15.2 bug

Nice. Thanks Ruben

@Ruben12121

I’m in the U.K. and noted there was a new Google Assistant App released overnight, so hopefully their developers have fixed the reported issue - it just mentions ‘bug fixes and stability improvements’… I don’t have the opportunity to test it as my iOS device here is older, but fingers-x’d🤞it’s now been fixed for iOS 15.2.

I updated the Google Assistant app (thanks for the heads-up Ken) and now it no longer crashes at that step… however, instead, the Google App gets stuck looking for devices on my network and ultimately tells me there are none. Otherwise the Sonos system is working well, so I have no idea what the issue is at this point. The chat representatives on the Sonos website have been wholly unhelpful.

I updated the Google Assistant app (thanks for the heads-up Ken) and now it no longer crashes at that step… however, instead, the Google App gets stuck looking for devices on my network and ultimately tells me there are none. Otherwise the Sonos system is working well, so I have no idea what the issue is at this point. The chat representatives on the Sonos website have been wholly unhelpful.

Perhaps try either checking for new Sonos devices, or removing/reinstalling the Sonos action/skill in the Google Home App - see screenshot attached.