Answered

Google Assistant and Port

• 18 March 2021
  • 2 replies

I just setup my Port to my AV receiver.  Through the app, I named it TV Room.  I added the Google Assistant and now I see “TV Room” (my Port) listed in Google Home.  In Google Home, it is listed as a Speaker, but I am unable to add it to any of my existing speaker groups.  I can have Google play music from Spotify thru the Port on my receiver but I don’t know how to have it play music from the port to my speaker groups.  My groups are either Google Home Mini’s or Chromecast Audio devices.  Additionally, I have my home music located on a NAS and the app plays that music just fine, but, I cannot figure how to have google to play my music from my NAS through the port.  Whew!  And that was just my first post.  Thanks for any help.  Ralph.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 19 March 2021, 10:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Corry,

Thanks for the information.  At least it explains what I’m working with.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Ralph Gonzales 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I’m afraid you cannot redirect the Port’s input (or anything else it plays) to Google or Alexa smart-devices - neither your Google (or Amazon) speakers nor your Sonos system are designed to do this; they are different ecosystems.

It should be pointed out that a Sonos speaker working with the Google Assistant is just that. It doesn’t become a Google speaker. The same thing happens with Alexa - interaction with the voice service allows Alexa to send commands to Sonos, but it doesn’t turn the Sonos product into an Amazon one.

What you can do is ask GA to play something on the Port (or other Sonos rooms/devices). Volume commands may work, but that depends on your Port’s line-out settings (if Fixed, it won’t work).

I have 3 Sonos devices, and if I open the speaker groups page on Google Home, I see no devices there at all. I presume this function is for Google devices only, so I don’t think you’re doing anything incorrectly.

There is no officially supported way to play tracks from your NAS to Sonos via a voice command. Alexa and Sonos can use Plex in conjunction - I have had this work on my own system, but unreliably. I have never tried with Google, and don’t recall anyone saying they got it to work, but if someone in the Community has, it would be interesting to hear from them.

I realise these are not the answers you were hoping to get, but it does at least explain why you couldn’t do what you were trying to do. I hope it helps.