GA integration NEEDS to allow Sonos/Home device grouping and ability to set Sonos as default speaker

• 16 May 2019
  • 1 reply

I’ve been looking forward to this rolling out for so long, bought a Home Hub in anticipation as my dream was to ask the Hub to play a song on Spotify, and it’d play on the Sonos One while showing the song info and controls on the Hub. Would be an amazing media setup.

Obviously, I was pretty damn disappointed to find that this wasn’t possible. Not only does the Home Hub not show the song info/the Spotify app (it just shows volume and start/pause/skip controls), you even have to specify that you want it to play on Sonos. This is cumbersome and we shouldn’t have to do this every time. I have the Home Hub and the One in the same room, so if I leave both enabled it defaults to the Home Hub.

This could all be fixed by allowing the Sonos to be set as a default speaker for Home devices as this would allow the functionality to accomplish this. The only way I continue to invest in more Sonos and Home devices is if we have the ability to group all of these devices together to work in perfect unison. I’m nearly certain Alexa has this functionality so I know it’s possible on the Sonos end. I’m not sure if this would fall under Sonos or Google’s responsibilities, but just wanted to provide this feedback in hopes that the developers are awareness of this popular feature request and implement it in the near future.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
This could all be fixed by allowing the Sonos to be set as a default speaker for Home devices as this would allow the functionality to accomplish this. The only way I continue to invest in more Sonos and Home devices is if we have the ability to group all of these devices together to work in perfect unison. I’m nearly certain Alexa has this functionality so I know it’s possible on the Sonos end. I’m not sure if this would fall under Sonos or Google’s responsibilities, but just wanted to provide this feedback in hopes that the developers are awareness of this popular feature request and implement it in the near future.

Regarding what can be done with Alexa, you can setup preferred speakers via Alexa groups so that Alexa automatically plays a song request on the preferred Sonos speaker. This feature was not added until a few months ago. You can can configure it so a Sonos speaker will duck it's volume while you're talking to a specific alexa device so that you can hear the response. However, you cannot group alexa devices and sonos speakers together so that they play muisc in sync together.

I have no doubt that Sonos is aware that the desire for default/preferred speaker setting. I don't know how much Google cares about this, so it may be more productive to give your feedback to them as well. It could also be that there are technical/business reasons these features are missing....I really hope not, but it's possible.