Chromecast functionality

Userlevel 5
Badge +3
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 10 replies
Why is Sonos lacking the Chromecast functionality, which basically every 100€ WiFi speaker has. It makes it impossible to use YouTube music ( you have to open the Sonos controller and control it from there instead of just pressing the cast button) and it makes using the Google Assistant unnecessarily cumbersome. You have to specify the speaker after a voice command instead of being able to simply set Sonos as a default speaker. That not enough, it also makes it impossible to cast all audio to Sonos. Sonos always talks about being open and support all platforms, yet after waiting a year longer than Airplay 2 users (which got supported as soon as the service got released), we get a shitty, half-assed service lacking basic functionality. Sonos basically incentivizes people to switch to Google Home Max et al, to use get the full capability from the services.

164 replies

So is there any official statement from Sonos to why casting youtube etc isnt supported?

Userlevel 2
Badge

I too would use a Sonos system- was considering the arc, sub and surrounds. The lack of intergation with chromecast makes Sonos useless to me... I am so supprised that chromecast is not avalibe. If Sonos has any plan to integrate chromecast in the next year or so with updates, it would be in their best interest to let users know now.

Userlevel 2
Badge

fact is - sonos needs also chromecast support, otherwise it’s wasted money for the buck for most android users and we better switch to other brands

Sonos offers pretty much every major streaming services streamed directly without the use of chromecast, airplay, or any other mechanism in between.  They also offer Tune In and their own Sonos radio as a means of accessing hundreds (thousands?) of radio stations.  I think you might be overstating the necessity of chromecast support for android users.

People don't want to use the Sonos app... maybe back in the day, but now people want to open their favourite music app and just cast. 

fact is - sonos needs also chromecast support, otherwise it’s wasted money for the buck for most android users and we better switch to other brands

Sonos offers pretty much every major streaming services streamed directly without the use of chromecast, airplay, or any other mechanism in between.  They also offer Tune In and their own Sonos radio as a means of accessing hundreds (thousands?) of radio stations.  I think you might be overstating the necessity of chromecast support for android users.

People don't want to use the Sonos app... maybe back in the day, but now people want to open their favourite music app and just cast. 

Speak for yourself.

Casting directly from Spotify or most other services will not allow me more than one simultaneous stream. I want to be able to have different music streaming to different rooms.

Casting from TuneIn will include the ads.

Google cast groups are static, cannot change the members of the group dynamically. 

Chromecast will not allow me mixed playback from different services and local media.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

You can do, with some:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3549?language=en_US

Userlevel 2
Badge

Speak for yourself.

Casting directly from Spotify or most other services will not allow me more than one simultaneous stream. I want to be able to have different music streaming to different rooms.

Google cast groups are static, cannot change the members of the group dynamically. 

Chromecast will not allow me mixed playback from different services and local media.

Dude, it's really simple. Apple has iplay or air play or what ever, Andoid wants chromecast. It's really simple! No Sonos app replaces that.

Userlevel 2
Badge

You can do, with some:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3549?language=en_US

VLC?

Userlevel 1

Echoing others, lack of Chromecast integration in my Sonos One is a big disappointment.  Many competitors offer this.  I would buy additional Sonos Ones if it had this functionality.  I am giving serious consideration to selling my Sonos One and buying the Harman Kardon Citation One MKII.  The MKII version adds Airplay 2 in addition to Chromecast.  Having both gives me the flexibility that I want.  I’d be happy to stick with Sonos, but at some point I’ll get tired of waiting.

Welp.…

Add another one frustrated customer here.…

Came out of ikea today with 3 of theirs Sonos speakers…

Only to arrive at home, and discover that the "Google assistant" suport on the Sonos lineup does not means what it should meant…

I have other speakers on the house and was hoping to up my sound quality with those... But I'm really considering returning them…

It was an impulse buy, they sound great on the demo stand, quick Google search shows GA suport, no brainier I thought... 

A real shame....

Speak for yourself.

Dude, I am an Android user. I listed a number of reasons why I think Chromecast (or Airplay, for that matter) is inferior to the features already offered. You just respond with "we want what we want because we want it". That is not going to convince me, nor will it convince Sonos or Google to do something about it.

I see a lot of people on here asking for Chromecast that only have one speaker. I know I sound like a purist, but I get the feeling that they don't "get" what the Sonos ecosystem is actually about, and would maybe have been happier with an upmarket Bluetooth speaker.

In my day to day, I have not seen any use case that has me say "I need Chromecast on this thing". Mind you, streaming YouTube and splitting the audio from the video cannot be done on Google Home speakers either. Full YT videos can only be casted to video Chromecasts, it has to do with YT's terms and conditions.

Speak for yourself.

Dude, I am an Android user. I listed a number of reasons why I think Chromecast (or Airplay, for that matter) is inferior to the features already offered. You just respond with "we want what we want because we want it". That is not going to convince me, nor will it convince Sonos or Google to do something about it.

I see a lot of people on here asking for Chromecast that only have one speaker. I know I sound like a purist, but I get the feeling that they don't "get" what the Sonos ecosystem is actually about, and would maybe have been happier with an upmarket Bluetooth speaker.

In my day to day, I have not seen any use case that has me say "I need Chromecast on this thing". Mind you, streaming YouTube and splitting the audio from the video cannot be done on Google Home speakers either. Full YT videos can only be casted to video Chromecasts, it has to do with YT's terms and conditions.

I can give you my reason to want to cast…

I use nest minis, and I want to shout an GA command to start songs on my speaker system… without cast suport I cannot assign the Sonos as default speaker to my mini's...let alone integrate them on my groups...

And as stated above, we can clearly use speakers to play selected services, but if you do not subscribe to them for any reason, you are out in the Cold…

Also as stated before, guests are unable to control media without logins, major inconveniences for the price point and general market feature set state.

Well, actually, it might… Sonos always insisted that hires wasn’t worthwhile and wouldn’t be supported, but looks like they’re going to do a complete about face on it. Marketing pressure works, if the numbers are high enough.

Speak for yourself.

I can give you my reason to want to cast…

I use nest minis, and I want to shout an GA command to start songs on my speaker system… without cast suport I cannot assign the Sonos as default speaker to my mini's...let alone integrate them on my groups...

And as stated above, we can clearly use speakers to play selected services, but if you do not subscribe to them for any reason, you are out in the Cold…

Also as stated before, guests are unable to control media without logins, major inconveniences for the price point and general market feature set state.

Actually, you can set them as an audio target - I did that for the rooms that don't have a voice enabled Sonos.

Are there services that are not on Sonos? Or do you mean free services?

You do not need to login, but you do need to download the app. Generally, in my house, my guests don't control anything.

To each their own, apparently.

Actually, you can set them as an audio target - I did that for the rooms that don't have a voice enabled Sonos.

Oh, I think I found it, probably you are talking about the integration directly with “Sonos” service on the google assistant, currently not available to me at Portugal, for what reason I dunno, since I have other products on my house integrated with GA… another frustation, i guess...

Are there services that are not on Sonos? Or do you mean free services? 

Basically, anything that supports cast and is not on the Sonos shortlist of services… ranging from local media to other stream services.

Userlevel 2
Badge

How do I communicate using VLC player? This is what I have always used for personal music. There's a chromecast button.......

Userlevel 2
Badge

Anyone know how to connect google podcast to Sonos?? Been using this app ever since its been out.. there's a chromecast button, I push it and nothing happens..

Another frustrated customer here. Come on, it’s june 2020, chromecast feature could have been delivered long time ago. 

Between the multiple connection issues and lack of key features, it certainly hasn't turned out to be what it was cracked up to be..

I'm letting them know about the multiple disappointments I've felt through reviews on the various sites.  I feel I should prevent anyone else from feeling buyer's remorse if I can. 

Aww! The lack of Chromecast support is very disappointing. I absolutely demand AirPlay 2, so that’s great, but I want Chromecast support too. Sonos equipment ticks all my other boxes. So close!

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

I also think not having Chromecast supported on Sonos is a huge disadvantage. Google Assistant support on Sonos is really bad, ranging from not being able to play radio stations from TuneIn, BBC and Global Player using voice commands, and the Google Assistant not working as expected when Google Home/Nest speakers work just fine. A good example of this is not being able to shuffle music using voice commands!

Also, when asking Google Assistant on a Nest Hub to play music on Sonos, it only displays basic playback controls instead of displaying song and artist information and a seekbar, rendering the screen useless when it’s being used to play music on Sonos.

The lack of Chromecast is extremely annoying and a great downside and even more aggravating considering the fact that AirPlay 2 is supported on Sonos, meaning that the lack of support is even more irksome for Android users.

Please fix this! Again, this is a MAJOR disappointment.

Userlevel 2

Speak for yourself.

I thankfully ditched all of my Sonos speakers a few years ago when Chromecast Audios were still around. I also thankfully bought about six extra when they were discontinued. I have on two tv's, small hidden Dolby digital 3.1 channel amps connected to an Atlantic Tech passive soundbar and 8" sub in the bedroom and 3 8" in-walls with a 10" sub in the living room. Also have a 2.1 channel amp inside a gutted 50's stereo console retrofitted with new 2-way speaker setups and an 8" sub. All three connected to chromecast audios and all three sound worlds ahead of Sonos devices for a fraction of the cost. They are more integrated into my surroundings and work better than Playbars which would be the only option for the tv's and not even an option for the living room one. Couldn't even do a connect or connect amp in the console without spending much more. the connect amp would still require a separate Sonos sub or a lot of workaround to use the integrated sub in the cabinet.

I have the complete freedom to use Google's assistant, cast everything that has the ability to cast, or device cast from the Home app for things that don't cast which is pretty much some recorded live shows and timeshifted live content.

I have much more flexibility with my setup and how to integrate it into my home without having solo speakers sitting on tables, shelves and what not. And I have no issues with getting content to any speakers. And guests can easily cast from their phones as well.

Only came upon this trying to help a friend with their setup. Has been ages since I've frequented or posted here. But I thought I'd give my take on it for those that are frustrated with the lack of integration considering there are two mobile systems out there and one has more integration than the other apparently. 

It's a shame Google made the CCA go the way of the dodo. Such a cheap way to tie people into their ecosystem and allow them better integration into their environment than spending more money on lesser quality speakers that don't integrate. And now you have to buy multiple products to do what a CCA did; a chromecast & hdmi audio extractor, to do the same thing without a display connected.

The other clincher for me in ditching Sonos was the cost of a Chromecast Audio (with digital out and better audio quality) compared to a Sonos Connect. Nail in the coffin there.

Good luck getting better casting abilities. 

Is there any official stance on this?, Pretty sure that this will be pretty appreciated!.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Is there any official stance on this?, Pretty sure that this will be pretty appreciated!.

It sure would! Offering AirPlay 2 to Apple users on day one but not adding Chromecast is a major disappointment. 

Just found out this lack of Chromecast functionnality after purchasing the Sonos Beam. Really thinking about going elsewhere if anyone knows what alternative to Sonos exists ?

The lack of official stance is such disrespectful for your clients, Sonos. I’m really pissed. 

The lack of official stance is such disrespectful for your clients, Sonos. I’m really pieced. 

What sort of official stance are you looking for?  Do you want Sonos to state all of the services and protocols it does NOT support?  Are you looking for the reason(s) why chromecast isn’t supported?  Can you give an example of another company giving the same sort of official stance you’re looking for from Sonos?