Chromecast functionality

Userlevel 5
Badge +3
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 10 replies
Why is Sonos lacking the Chromecast functionality, which basically every 100€ WiFi speaker has. It makes it impossible to use YouTube music ( you have to open the Sonos controller and control it from there instead of just pressing the cast button) and it makes using the Google Assistant unnecessarily cumbersome. You have to specify the speaker after a voice command instead of being able to simply set Sonos as a default speaker. That not enough, it also makes it impossible to cast all audio to Sonos. Sonos always talks about being open and support all platforms, yet after waiting a year longer than Airplay 2 users (which got supported as soon as the service got released), we get a shitty, half-assed service lacking basic functionality. Sonos basically incentivizes people to switch to Google Home Max et al, to use get the full capability from the services.

164 replies

Userlevel 2
Dear Sonos!

I'm not sure if somebody from the development team is even reading this, but you definitely should. There is only one reason why I did not yet order a speaker from you: Missing Chromecast / Google Cast support. It seems that even the latest 399,- Sonos Move does not support Google Cast. Moreover, many customers seems to be upset, because the feature was expected to be integrated together with the Google assistant in the Sonos One/Move, but actually it is not. It would be great if Sonos could announce if an integration is planned or not. I hope that more and more comments in this thread will have an impact.

br
Userlevel 1
Also looking forward to Sonos implementing Google Cast / Chromecast.
Userlevel 1
I also look forward to cast support. I own a playbase, 4 play ones, 2 play 5's 2nd gen. 2 Google home max speakers, a Google Hub and a home mini. I want to be able to cast to them and group the Sonos with the Max speakers in a Google home group.

I have been waiting to be able to cast to my connect amp for quite some time.

I still have some hope.

Userlevel 1

Adding another voice to the requests for Chromecast functionality.

In the short term I've "fixed" this issue by rooting my phone and installing software to cast via AirPlay. Casting is important enough to me that I will bear the associated security risks. But rooting won't be a suitable solution when I need to get a new phone and rooting will void the warranty.

Most of the people I talk to have never heard of Sonos. Most of the people I talk to think our setup is pretty awesome. Most of the people I talk to screw up their noses when I mention the casting situation. None of the people I talk to buy Sonos.

Userlevel 1
Badge

So Sonos… Chromecast?

You know, I listen to audiobooks a lot.  Would be so great if I could listen with my Sonos speaker at home. But well, I CAN NOT. Crazy right? So my old Play 5 will play some music and I will look for a vendor who actually cares for Android users ...

You know, I listen to audiobooks a lot.  Would be so great if I could listen with my Sonos speaker at home. But well, I CAN NOT. Crazy right? So my old Play 5 will play some music and I will look for a vendor who actually cares for Android users ...

Get hold of a Chromecast Audio - may need to be second hand these days, although some places still seem to have new stock. Plug it in to your Play 5 and cast away….

Update

I had just acquired a pricy Chromecast Audio and installed it when I realised that something changed on my Connect:Amp and now I can issue commands on Google mini like “Play x song on Sonos” and it plays directly on the Sonos.

This did not happen before. I only noticed because I had named the Chrom Audio as “SONOS” and when I first tried to cast to it saying the command above it replied “Playing x on connect:amp”.

I will try again tomorrow to see if it sticks.

Update

I had just acquired a pricy Chromecast Audio and installed it when I realised that something changed on my Connect:Amp and now I can issue commands on Google mini like “Play x song on Sonos” and it plays directly on the Sonos.

This did not happen before. I only noticed because I had named the Chrom Audio as “SONOS” and when I first tried to cast to it saying the command above it replied “Playing x on connect:amp”.

I will try again tomorrow to see if it sticks.

You can cast direct to the Sonos players, but it all seems to get a bit messy with the queue concept. The CCA approach seems more logical, IMHO

+1 for Chromecast support. I’m deliberating whether to hold fire and wait for Chromecast support before buying more Sonos kit or bite the bullet and replace all existing kit with Chromecast compatible kit. Need consistent solution throughout the home, mix’n’match is a mess and I’m not prepared to commit more Sonos spend until this is sorted. :thinking:

Disappointed after setting up my Sonos Beam only to find out that the advertised "Google Assistant" support doesn't include casting support. Took quite a bit of digging to even discover that fact, and it greatly diminishes the ability to use the speaker in a Google home setup (no speaker groups, no default speakers, etc).

If I knew this before buying the speaker, I would have found an alternative. Now I can only hope that Sonos decides to follow through on their (currently misleading) advertised support, and advise others not to make the same mistake I did. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I am new to Sonos and just purchased a Beam. I was under the impression I could cast to the speaker from my Android phone but I cannot. I was shocked to learn this. The only workaround is to buy a Chromecast Ultra, connect it to my tv and cast to the tv and the sound will come out the Beam. 

Its such a shame that Sonos didn't incorporate this simple feature for the prices they charge...

Wow, just picked up a Sonos One SL thinking that since Sonos Ones work with Google Assistant that Chromecast would be simple.  

Now thinking I should return it and get a HomePod on sale since I’m on Apple most of the time and Sonos isn’t going to be easy to use for my Android and Chromebook using family members anyway.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Wow, just picked up a Sonos One SL thinking that since Sonos Ones work with Google Assistant that Chromecast would be simple.  

Now thinking I should return it and get a HomePod on sale since I’m on Apple most of the time and Sonos isn’t going to be easy to use for my Android and Chromebook using family members anyway.

If it was common knowledge that Sonos cannot cast, I bet their sales would be greatly reduced...

Sonos please add a casting feature to Sonos from andriod/google home, much appreciated

The price on Homepods have dropped to 180-199.  It makes a nice speakerphone and the sound on mine seems equivalent to the Sonos One SL.   Since both are Airplay2 speakers thst don’t play well with Android and ChromeOS devices, I’m keeping the Homepod since it has more iOS and MacOS integration features for the Apple half of the family.

Bought a beam and found out that I can't cast. Plus one for chromecast support.

I want to buy a Sonos system, but won’t do it without Chromecast support. 4 out of 5 mobile phones in my family is on Android. Some services we use don’t support either AirPlay or Sonos, only Chromecast, so it’s an absolute requirement. There’s no other systems out there that I really want though, so I’m very likely to buy a Sonos system if Chromecast support is introduced not to far off in the future.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Sonos don’t pre-announce too much, so if Chromecast is on it’s way, or if it’s imminent, the general public don’t yet know. I believe Sonos still support a feature called On this Device which allows music on an Android device to play on Sonos speakers including Beam and One, amongst others. That may meet your needs?

I thought you could already do that, and it would be nice, but that’s not really it. What I would need, is full Chromecast audio support, so that apps that support to cast their audio via Chromecast, can discover and cast to the Sonos system.

Here’s the bottom line. We know it supports casting. Otherwise casting from Google Play Music wouldn’t work. So I don’t want to hear the excuse that they don’t have the hardware for it. They do. They need to finish baking it in. It’s completely unacceptable for a 400 speaker not to have such a basic function. Wish I save the box, because without the ability to cast it’s complete crap for me

Userlevel 1

yes it is ridiculous that Sonos doesn't have Chromecast in 2020!!!!

Sonos accepts casts from Amazon Music and Spotify native apps, and perhaps more I don't know about, but it does not from You Tube or Apple Music. Where has the ball dropped for the latter two? In whose court?

Without full Google Home accessibility...just doesn't’ seem to work for me...probably going to return them.