Chromecast functionality

Show first post

36 replies

Userlevel 1
Dear Sonos!

I'm not sure if somebody from the development team is even reading this, but you definitely should. There is only one reason why I did not yet order a speaker from you: Missing Chromecast / Google Cast support. It seems that even the latest 399,- Sonos Move does not support Google Cast. Moreover, many customers seems to be upset, because the feature was expected to be integrated together with the Google assistant in the Sonos One/Move, but actually it is not. It would be great if Sonos could announce if an integration is planned or not. I hope that more and more comments in this thread will have an impact.

br
Also looking forward to Sonos implementing Google Cast / Chromecast.
I also look forward to cast support. I own a playbase, 4 play ones, 2 play 5's 2nd gen. 2 Google home max speakers, a Google Hub and a home mini. I want to be able to cast to them and group the Sonos with the Max speakers in a Google home group.

I have been waiting to be able to cast to my connect amp for quite some time.

I still have some hope.

Adding another voice to the requests for Chromecast functionality.

In the short term I've "fixed" this issue by rooting my phone and installing software to cast via AirPlay. Casting is important enough to me that I will bear the associated security risks. But rooting won't be a suitable solution when I need to get a new phone and rooting will void the warranty.

Most of the people I talk to have never heard of Sonos. Most of the people I talk to think our setup is pretty awesome. Most of the people I talk to screw up their noses when I mention the casting situation. None of the people I talk to buy Sonos.

Badge

So Sonos… Chromecast?

You know, I listen to audiobooks a lot.  Would be so great if I could listen with my Sonos speaker at home. But well, I CAN NOT. Crazy right? So my old Play 5 will play some music and I will look for a vendor who actually cares for Android users ...

You know, I listen to audiobooks a lot.  Would be so great if I could listen with my Sonos speaker at home. But well, I CAN NOT. Crazy right? So my old Play 5 will play some music and I will look for a vendor who actually cares for Android users ...

Get hold of a Chromecast Audio - may need to be second hand these days, although some places still seem to have new stock. Plug it in to your Play 5 and cast away….

Update

I had just acquired a pricy Chromecast Audio and installed it when I realised that something changed on my Connect:Amp and now I can issue commands on Google mini like “Play x song on Sonos” and it plays directly on the Sonos.

This did not happen before. I only noticed because I had named the Chrom Audio as “SONOS” and when I first tried to cast to it saying the command above it replied “Playing x on connect:amp”.

I will try again tomorrow to see if it sticks.

Update

I had just acquired a pricy Chromecast Audio and installed it when I realised that something changed on my Connect:Amp and now I can issue commands on Google mini like “Play x song on Sonos” and it plays directly on the Sonos.

This did not happen before. I only noticed because I had named the Chrom Audio as “SONOS” and when I first tried to cast to it saying the command above it replied “Playing x on connect:amp”.

I will try again tomorrow to see if it sticks.

You can cast direct to the Sonos players, but it all seems to get a bit messy with the queue concept. The CCA approach seems more logical, IMHO

Userlevel 2

+1 for Chromecast support. I’m deliberating whether to hold fire and wait for Chromecast support before buying more Sonos kit or bite the bullet and replace all existing kit with Chromecast compatible kit. Need consistent solution throughout the home, mix’n’match is a mess and I’m not prepared to commit more Sonos spend until this is sorted. :thinking: