Can I buy before Google Assistant integration comes out?

• 5 December 2018
  • 4 replies

Hello, I read in this article (https://blog.sonos.com/en/google-assistant-update/) that Google Assistant integration is coming up soon.

I own a Google Home and a Google Home mini and integration with Google Assistant is vital (I believe) to me.

Can I purchase the products before this moment and wait for the update, or I will need to wait for the integration to be publicly done?

Thank you for your time.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Sonos won't say which specific products google intregration will come to. Like Airplay it could be just be certain devices, so there is a risk you buy something that does not get GI, but you could group it with something that does. Your safest bet would be sonos ones, as they are the newest with more RAM inside, currently £50 off a pair till Jan.
Or you could get a google max?
What do you want from sonos that google cannot give you? Amazon music maybe..
Sonos won't say which specific products google intregration will come to. Like Airplay it could be just be certain devices, so there is a risk you buy something that does not get GI, but you could group it with something that does.

That is extremely unlikely to be the case, and no logical reason to think that google integration won't work with all Sonos devices. Airplay 2 has specific hardware requirements that older Sonos products could not meet. These requirements were there for several reasons that would not apply to google integration. As well development on Google integration is well under way and can't imagine Sonos would leave customers in the dark about such vital information if it was the case.

Google integration is likely to work very similar to Alexa integration. That is to say that the instruction to play music comes from the device you speak to, to the Google cloud, to the Sonos cloud, down to your Sonos speaker. the Sonos speaker then gets the stream of audio the same as if you made the request from the Sonos app...essentially.

All that said, I personally believe you should buy products for the features they currently, have not what they will have. Saving some money with Christmas sales may be worth the risk (however so small) in this case, and of course, Sonos is a great volume without Google integration.

And yes, there will be a firmware update provided when Google integration becomes publicly available to all existing customers.
I would buy something else. Sonos has been stringing us along for well over 18-24 months. There is plenty of great speaker options available now and Google support is already there. I am invested in SOnos at this point but I would move along to another brand if I was just starting out.
I would buy something else.

What would you buy?