Question

Assistant play one put on all the lights instead the lights in a particular room as it used to be

• Contributor I
  • 3 replies

Why does the Google Assistant on the Sonos react differently from the Assistant of the Google home? If I tell the Google home device to turn on the light he turns on the lights in that particular room. The Google Assistant in the Sonos did the same, did!! Since a week, however, the Google Assistant in the Sonos turns on ALL the lights in the entire house. The assistants in other Google devices still work per room as it should.  What to do?

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Sorry to say, but it’s a common problem.  And in my opinion a recent defect.  Though I don’t think it has anything to do with the version of Sonos running on your devices, I think it has to do with the Google-to-Sonos back-end integration.

Refer to this thread:   https://en.community.sonos.com/google-assistant-and-sonos-229109/google-assistant-room-assignment-problems-6839459

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Look down the forum a little to the thread “Something is wrong with my Sonos Beam, Google Assistant and Philips Hue setup”. Same issue. Also the same issue as a couple of other threads discussing the recent problem with room assignment rearing its ugly head again.

The thing about turning all the lights in the house is actually an additional known Google Home bug - when Google doesn’t know which light you mean, it assumes you mean ALL the lights in the house. Because you know, that just makes sense. Like if the mob boss said “Wack dat guy!”, and you didn’t know which guy he meant, you would wack everyone, right?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

The thing about turning all the lights in the house is actually an additional known Google Home bug - when Google doesn’t know which light you mean, it assumes you mean ALL the lights in the house. 

That’s not a bug.  When you talk to Google Assistant (“GA”) it checks to see if you have applicable devices in the same room.   If you do, it controls them.  If you don’t it assumes you are referring to the entire house and controls that.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Yes, it is a bug (a Google bug, not a Sonos bug).

In the English language, when you say “the light”, you are referring to one specific light. If you meant all the lights in the house, you would use the plural. Big as Google are, I don’t think they are free to revise the grammar of the English language to call something not-a-bug.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

As I said in one other post, this bug does seem to have come up with the event of the 11.1 Sonos software and only rears it’s head with commands given to Sonos devices. My Google Nest/Home Mini’s do not suffer from this bug.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

JD60, this is fixed.  See this thread:  https://en.community.sonos.com/google-assistant-and-sonos-229109/google-assistant-room-assignment-problems-6839459?postid=16431490#post16431490