Answered

Arc keeps repeating « Mic is muted » then « the mic is back on »

• 8 January 2021
  • 20 replies

Badge

Arc keeps repeating « Mic is muted » then « the mic is back on »   I believe it’s the google assistant. 

I can’t figure out a pattern. It’s very annoying. Sometimes it’s 5 secs appart. Sometimes minutes. 

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 8 January 2021, 16:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The microphone on a speaker can be muted with a button? Does anything activate the button on  your speaker?

Badge

Yes, I could do that by pressing the button. But then you are essentially turning off a feature. It also means you have to walk up to the sound bar and switch the voice assistant on/off every time you use it. 

Yes, I could do that by pressing the button. But then you are essentially turning off a feature. It also means you have to walk up to the sound bar and switch the voice assistant on/off every time you use it. 

I think 106rallye wasn’t suggesting to switch it off, but was wondering if there was anything near to the mic on/off button that was switching it on and off regularly and causing the Google Assistant to say “the mic is muted...” etc. Normally the mic switch is quickly tapped and the mic and its LED left on ready to listen for the ‘Hey Google’ wake words.

Badge

I don’t think that’s happening buy i will have to look tonight when I’m home.

I don’t think that’s happening buy i will have to look tonight when I’m home.

The words you mention in the opening post - ‘mic is muted’ / ‘mic is back on’ is what the Google Assistant says when you actually press/tap the mic on and off on a Sonos device - hence the thoughts are there is something nearby (perhaps) toggling the mic button state on the device.

Badge

Nothing is touching the mute button. The mute button is the white LED you see closest to you. 

Badge

BTW. I appreciate this feedback

mart-k
I assume you may have tried this now, but just in case - perhaps toggle the Arc’s mic ‘off’ and ‘on’ again and see if the announcements are what you were hearing and if so, then having toggled the switch, see how it goes.

Badge

Yes. I’ve done that. The button operates as expected calling mute and not muted on command. 

Badge +20

Years ago I was asked to fix a stereo system that keep changing radio stations, went to see it in the home and after a while it truly did change station. Upon further inspection a fly was walking over the touch pads, a quick wipe and the problem was solved.

whilst a great story it might be worthwhile giving the button area on the Arc a wipe with a microfibre cloth.

EDIT… try moving the Arc away out of the sight of your TV screen, just as a test

Badge

I actually dusted it last night. Can’t believe how much has collected in only two weeks. This morning the problem persists. 

Badge

We have the same issue with the TV turned off. 

Badge +20

Still… try moving it

I have exactly the same problem and it’s driving me nuts. I have a very clean arc and nothing touching the button. When watching a movie or listening music, the mic is turned off and on. I also need a solution for this? Can this feature be disabled ? (I’m using Google Assistant)

Many thanks

If you disable touch controls for this speaker from the App does that stop it?

No it doesn't. Tried that many times. Turning the touch on and off no effect. Currently have it turned off and the problem still occurs.

No it doesn't. Tried that many times. Turning the touch on and off no effect. Currently have it turned off and the problem still occurs.

Perhaps remove the Google voice assistant from the Arc’s ‘room’ and then reboot the player and reinstall the assistant again using "Settings/Services & Voice/Voice” in the Sonos App and see if that fixes it.

I tried it. Reset the arc back to factory settings. Installed it and also linked the Google Voice Assistant. Problem still occurs. 

The only way around this, is removing the connection with the voice assistant. But I refuse to accept this solution, as it just has to work without having this problem.

Guess I'm going to have to send him back.

Thanks anyway!

Vincent Huysmans,

As a further option, you can perhaps also consider when it next happens again, immediately submitting a system diagnostic report to Sonos and posting its reference back here and then chat/contact the Support Staff via this LINK about the issue.

HTH

Badge

Issue is now resolved. Moving the Arc solved the problem. I guess the Arc and the TV were too close together