Question

Has anyone at SONOS considered firing the person that thought this latest "upgrade" was ready for public consumption and then revert to the previous version?

Userlevel 2

This update/upgrade/whatever is a disaster.

Fire the person that okayed this change to SONOS software.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

So we’re clear, you mean:

“Immediately remove a number of Sonos employees’ livelihoods and bring their families into financial uncertainty. I can’t play my music properly at the moment - someone’s children need to suffer for my listening pleasure.”

Is that an accurate rewording of what you are requesting?

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Actually it is quite easy, no junior members of staff made this decision nor should they suffer. This was a man at the top decision, either directly or indirectly (and I don't suppose he is short of a bob or two).

This is not poorly tested software, this was a deliberate act for what must have been significant reasons. That is not saying they were good reasons we just don't know.

Actually it is quite easy, no junior members of staff made this decision nor should they suffer. This was a man at the top decision, either directly or indirectly (and I don't suppose he is short of a bob or two).

This is not poorly tested software, this was a deliberate act for what must have been significant reasons. That is not saying they were good reasons we just don't know.

The reason is obvious, given the time of year (June 30 is Fiscal End of Year) and the new product plastered all over the Sonos homepage:

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/home

Userlevel 2

Rhonny, your re-wording of my original question is cruel and grossly inappropriate! I never intended harm to come to anyone’s family, nor, especially, their children.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

So we’re clear, you mean:

“Immediately remove a number of Sonos employees’ livelihoods and bring their families into financial uncertainty. I can’t play my music properly at the moment - someone’s children need to suffer for my listening pleasure.”

Is that an accurate rewording of what you are requesting?

I didn’t take it that way.  And in fact, if you take what he said and simply fill in the blank(s) …

“This update/upgrade/whatever is a disaster.

Fire Patrick Spence, CEO, who okayed this change to SONOS software.”

It’s incompetence and he needs to go.  And that jerk's family isn’t going to suffer. 

The fact that they released a new app is OK. The fact that there are issues is also OK. I am a software developer and there have been very few releases I have been a part of that have not had issues - and it’s not always easy to just find a person to blame and fire them, cause it’s not usually down to that.

The fact that suddenly the old app stopped working IS THE ISSUE. If you have an app in place that works and you want to upgrade to a new app, the sensible thing to do is to have them both overlap for a while until the new app fixes all serious issues. But no, they just pulled the plug on the old one and released an app that is missing a ton of the old app functionalities (who decided to remove the queue management? that was one of the best features of the old app!). I don’t know about you guys, but I hadn’t even registered receiving a message about this. It was just one day the old app stopped working, come here, install new app.

That is management decision, and a poor one at it. And no, I don’t think top management level, who signed off on this, would starve if fired. 

Nope, that guy got a promotion since Ace was able to hit the market in time! 

nevermind

Userlevel 2

The reason for the change is obvious.  If they make it impossible to access my extensive music library on my computer, I’ll have to use services like Sonos Radio to get any use out of my $10k whole house Sonos audio system. Then they ca n charge more for their advertising .  It’s all about money and greed.  😒

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

The reason for the change is obvious.  If they make it impossible to access my extensive music library on my computer, I’ll have to use services like Sonos Radio to get any use out of my $10k whole house Sonos audio system. Then they ca n charge more for their advertising .  It’s all about money and greed.  😒

Or - just maybe - you’ve not read or implemented some of the suggestions in the way that some others have done, which has given them back access to their music library. But, I also concede, maybe you’re right: it’s a conspiracy. 

What makes you think it's impossible to access your personal library?   Just follow these instructions to add it back:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/add-your-music-library-to-sonos