"Your Sonos System Not Found" after it was already connected and playing

My system has been connected and having no problems.  Then I started getting fairly regular error messages on all my controllers "Your Sonos System Not Found".  Then the controller functionality returns and I hit play again... only to see that same system not found message 5-10 minutes later.  I'd love some help trouble shooting this problem.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

61 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Howie,

This thread has some great steps to start with for troubleshooting that problem. Likely your wired Sonos component is losing connection to the network, or your wireless devices are getting disconnected for some reason. 

If you're still having trouble, can you please submit a diagnostic and reply back with your confirmation number?

Thanks
Thanks Ryan.  The unplug and restart seems to have worked today.
I give up!

When I first set the system up it worked.  Now NONE of the controllers will connect "Your SONOS System was not found".  So, I reset the controller - connect to my existing system, although I have to press the buttons on the nearest device for it to find anything, but it does eventually say you are connected.  click "done" and guess what?

"your SONOS system was not found"

I thought this system was supposed to be easy to set up and use!  I have a pair of play 1s in the kitchen both running wirelessly and a bridge connected to my router (in the room directly above).  I also have a Play 3.  I have tried connecting it using wireless, but it can't be found even in the room next door (very thick stone walls) so I have connected it using devolo home plugs.

It worked - for about half a song - then the whole lot fell over again!

I have tried reserving IP addresses on my router for each of the SONOS units, but that doesn't seem to make any difference.

I still have a Connect in its box which I was planning to use in my lounge (even more stone walls away!) but frankly I think I'll just box the whole lot back up again and take it back.

I've spent the thick end of £1000 and what a waste of money!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I give up!

When I first set the system up it worked.  Now NONE of the controllers will connect "Your SONOS System was not found".  So, I reset the controller - connect to my existing system, although I have to press the buttons on the nearest device for it to find anything, but it does eventually say you are connected.  click "done" and guess what?

I thought this system was supposed to be easy to set up and use!  I have a pair of play 1s in the kitchen both running wirelessly and a bridge connected to my router (in the room directly above).  I also have a Play 3.  I have tried connecting it using wireless, but it can't be found even in the room next door (very thick stone walls) so I have connected it using devolo home plugs.

I have tried reserving IP addresses on my router for each of the SONOS units, but that doesn't seem to make any difference.

I still have a Connect in its box which I was planning to use in my lounge (even more stone walls away!) but frankly I think I'll just box the whole lot back up again and take it back.

Hi Tim,

If you'd like a hand we're happy to help. Looks like Chris and TH3 DAVESTAT0R were helping you in a different thread. I can assist there too if you'd like some more help.

We'd be happy to help over the phone too if you'd like a technician to work with you live. You can give us a call on our support line here.
I give up!

Ryan, thanks.

It appears to me that the Play 3 (connected through Devolo home plug) is what's causing the issue, as when I disconnect it, the two play 1s seem to work ok in the kitchen.  Whilst this is positive, it does kind of defeat the object of investing in the sonos kit if I cannot extend it to other rooms.  I could achieve the same effect in my kitchen for about 10% of the cost of two play 1s.

I will take up your offer of live support as soon as I get back home this afternoon and hopefully they will be able to help me get the whole system working and stable.  If they can't I will have to return all of the Sonos equipment.  I have read that Sonos have an excellent returns policy, lets hope we do not have to put that to the test.

Tim
I have the same issue.  No change in configuration except Sonos software update and mac Yosemite.  A computer reboot helps the system get recognized again by remote controller.
Used Sonos this morning. Came back this evening. No connection. Trying to set up a new connection since it won't recognize the old one...no dice.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Used Sonos this morning. Came back this evening. No connection. Trying to set up a new connection since it won't recognize the old one...no dice.
There are some great suggestions to try here, including a guided assistance to get this up and running. Checking the network and that Sonos is still connected to it are a great start.

Also, we don't recommend going through the New Connection option as it'll reset your Sonos components. If finding an existing setup doesn't work, there are some great steps before trying to reinstall everything.

Let us know how it's going. If you're still having trouble and need a hand quick, you can always give us a call.
I have used my system for 2 years no problems.  The last 4 weeks have been crap.  The windows controller can't find it, the iphone and ipad apps cant find it, and quite frankly, your suggestions in this thread and others are crap.  That Bose system is looking pretty good right about now.  You guys had better figure this shit out before you start losing customers.

Signed,
"I've spent over $1000 on a very frustrating and incompetent system."
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey Brad,

Looks like you have an incident with our support team already open and under review, they'll be in touch soon. We'll be happy to help getting your system up and running again if you'd like a hand, just let them know.
Having the same issue and cannot fix it
Do I have to have an additional Ethernet cable to plug into the sonos
I have the same problem lately.  Last nite, nothing could connect. So, I restarted the whole thing from scratch -- new.  Worked great all day. Now this evening, nothing.  No Macs, no PCs and no iPhones or iPads can find our Sonos boxes.  We have like 7 and now nothing?  What's up?
Same thing is happening to me. The system has worked flawlessly for 6 months and now, for apparently no reason, none of my devices seems to recognize the sonos speakers. Could it be because I have subscribed to Apple music recently?

What shall I do?

Massi  
Unplugging the BRIDGE seems to work tonite when it got funky. Why mostly at night?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
When you're having trouble connecting, what error message do you see? Is it that you don't have any rooms that can play music or do you see a Sonos system not found?

There could be a number of things that might occur at night which could cause this sort of issue, a good example would be a neighbor turning on their baby monitor which runs on the same frequency as most wireless devices (2.4 GHz). This is simply an example though, it's hard to say without more information.

Do you mind sending a diagnostic from the system when you have a chance? Though you can't do this if the whole system is missing, you can do it if you just see the BRIDGE or when it's back up. It'll still contain some good information for us to start with.
Userlevel 2
It's started happening to me every morning with my Sonos Amp. It can't be found on my laptop or phone but if I reboot the Amp it works. Every morning it is the same for the last week or so.

Has something changed in a recent update or something?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sounds like a IP address issue.  I would unplug, reboot your router, and then plug back in to get a fresh IP address.
Diagnostics sent: 4724891.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks, quite the network setup there. It looks like you might have a wireless network broadcasting on each of the main channels, 1, 6, and 11 (based on SSIDs and strength of the signals). Several of your Sonos players are having trouble connecting through the interference as they're set to channel 6 presently.

Would you be able to clear off one of those three channels so that you can set Sonos to it alone? 
Ok, I've left one SSID on 10 and the other on 1.  6 is open.  

Should I instead or additionally get rid of the bridge and do the new wireless setup on my wifi?  What difference would that make?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
With the number of players you have in your setup it'd probably be better to run off of the dedicated wireless, that way you don't need to worry about them taking too much of your wireless bandwidth. You could certainly test it out if you'd like. 

Let us know how it goes, if you have any more trouble can you send a diagnostic from there? If you don't see any of your players you'll need to check your wireless network too before you can send one.

Just another note, if you do wind up unable to see your Sonos system at times, see if you regularly have trouble while connected to one of those SSIDs versus the others. Your controller needs to be connected back to the same DHCP server that your players are connected to, so we recommend with multiple routers you have only one of them assigning IP addresses.
I have to add to this, i got Sonos in July after hearing great things and have had nothing but problems. I have a Play 5 in the Kitchen where i also have a strong wifi signal, and a Boost in my living room on the router and a NAS drive.

Have had problems from the start, could connect the speaker initially, but kept on finding that when i went away and came back in and found that it couldn't find the signal again. I gave up on it and went back to the bluetooth speaker resolving to go back and start again. Have had another go today and started from scratch to find the Sonos Boost, and then tried to find the speaker in the kitchen, and cant' find it again, no matter what i do.

So not sure what to do, with the NAS i have invested almost £1,000 to get this great Sonos system but its currently completely outplayed by my £35 bluetooth speaker which i can at least rely on.

There does seem to be a huge amount of people with a similar problem, you would think with all of these competing systems coming out you would pick up your game guys.

Will try and make contact and see if i can get it resolved.

Thanks
There does seem to be a huge amount of people with a similar problem
No, a substantial proportion of people posting here have problems. But then it's a support site, and those happy with their system don't usually take the time to brag about it. Likewise in a hospital or doctor's surgery you tend to find that most people are unwell, but that doesn't reflect the entire population.

Sonos has sold millions of units. If there was a systemic problem this site would be swamped with complaints.

I'd suggest you contact Sonos Support by phone or email. They should be able to get you up and running, then subsequently ask you to submit a diagnostic to see if there are any vulnerabilities due to your local wireless environment.
Hi ratty, and quite a few others are likely to be having problems don't post, i have been struggling with it for 3-months and this is my 1st one. Same as the number of people who are ill is not indicated by the amount of people who go to the doctors as many more will suffer in silence, so it works both ways.

My point is that when i search for the problems it does seem that a lot of people are having very similar issues spread over a large number of sites that they are struggling to resolve, and the main strength of Sonos system is supposed to be its connectivity between all of its systems.

I am assuming with 16,230 replies you are possibly working for Sonos anyway or an avid avid fan?

I will sit down and have a run through and see if i can get to the bottom of it but it is very frustrating.