'Your Music' feature on Spotify

Show first post

166 replies

Matthew wrote:

The only reason that Sonos would be ignoring Spotify (while implementing Google Play preferentially) is if they are in line for acquisition by Google. Considering Google's recent acquisition of Nest and Apple's acquisition of Beats Music, I predict we will see this happen soon.

I have just seen the Sonos offer with free Google Play for 6 months when buying a new speaker. This might explain why there is a deafening silence when it comes to Spotify. It seems Sonos have jumped in bed with Google and through lack of updating the Spotify app are "encouraging" us to look at Google Play as an alternative. I don't feel encouraged, I feel forced and am absolutely perplexed at the lack of response from Sonos. Some explanation would be handy. BTW I looked at hardware alternatives. Luckily I am an Apple user and Bose do a system called Soundtouch, whilst it doesn't support Spotify yet it does support Airplay which means I can use what ever music app I wish to play music including Soundcloud.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Accessing Spotify options through Sonos. Hi there,

I am a Spotify subscriber and I enjoy their radio stations and playlists. However, there doesn't seem to be a way to access these features through the Sonos app. I only have limited options, including my playlists. Is there a way to access all of the Spotify features? If not currently, is it something you can add?

Thanks,
Kristen
Tom wrote:

+1 for this. I won't be using other services, and would be willing to drop the speakers if my content isn't available on them. I'm sure that others have similar feelings.

Having bought a Play 1 which I am delighted with I have been thinking about getting a Play 5 and adopting throughout our house over time. Having just tried to play a Spotify Album and failing I googled and found this thread.

Now I think I'll go for Bose as I don't want to have to rely on Sonos' proprietary software on a big family investment.

Real pity because the sound is great but now have zero trust in their business model and ability to sustain my investment over time.
Tom wrote:

+1 for this. I won't be using other services, and would be willing to drop the speakers if my content isn't available on them. I'm sure that others have similar feelings.

Luckily I'd only bought the Play 1 too, so hadn't (yet) invested heavily in the Sonos system. I'm so frustrated with the crappy app, minimal integration with Spotify and frankly poor customer service when highlighting this issue, I've sold my Sonos and bought a Bose Mini SoundLink which I must say is absolutely fantastic. It's portable, doesn't rely on a plug point and the sound (in my opinion) is comparable to the Play 1 - I personally can't tell the difference, plus it is super smooth connecting and playing ANY of my music from any app including Spotify. My advice - sell the Sonos, invest in the Bose which is what I should have done in the first place.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Spotify Albums. Hi,
Spotify has a new Albums feature, so you can save the album rather than making a playlist of one. Is there going to be an option to select albums rather than just playlists on the Sonos controller soon?

Thnx Ben
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Trouble with Full Spotify Capability on Sonos. Why can I not access Spotify's "Your Music" function and get into "Songs." I don't make playlists very often, instead I just compile a library. My only options currently in the computer app are: Playlists, Starred, New Releases, Top Tracks, Inbox.

I would really like to be able to access all my music since Spotify has update to allow a saved library. Also, why is it not possible to keep two Spotify accounts on one Sonos?

Thanks for your time, I love the system just want to see it work better.
After doing some digging on this issue I came to the (quite possibly incorrect) conclusion that Spotify is probably the one to blame here... I sent them a tweet and got instant feedback, though not much less vague than the official response from Sonos...

If spotify is responsible for updating it, then it makes sense that it's taking so long. The spotify desktop app for Windows 8 has been bugged for months. I was finally able to get a temporary fix from a forum member, but spotify themselves have yet to come up with a solution. If sonos is at the mercy of spotify, we could be waiting a while.
When I initially bought Sonos I was thrilled with the ease of use, but the diminishing ability to use all of Spotify's features have soured me on it.  I waited years for Spotify to come out with the "My Music" feature and now cannot use it because Sonos won't enable.  I would be happy if Sonos simply said that they need time to catch up to partner services functionality.  That's reasonable.  But the official responses appear vague and promise nothing.

Ability for users to use Spotify Connect would handily solve this problem and so it's doubly frustrating that Sonos has not agreed to it.

I was highly recommending Sonos to everyone who came to my house and asked about it, but increasingly I caution them against it.  I hope this gets solved -- it's an unfortunate example of a great technology limiting itself by being overly proprietary  (remember when Apple wouldn't let anybody else design apps?)
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Why cant Sonos get Spotify Browse, Genres, etc playlists?. How come the full range of music access available on Spotify (PC app) isnt available on Sonos? The playlists under Browse and Genres &Mood are a wonderful Spotify feature to discover new music and yet not accessible by Sonos, unless I am missing something.

I have encouraged multiple neighbors to use Sonos yet limiting Spotify features is a big negative
Spotify has recently updated their Web API to support the "Your Music" feature... https://developer.spotify.com/news-stories/2014/07/23/web-api-music-tracks-endpoints-released/

It would be great to see this functionality integrated into the Sonos controller in the near future!

Userlevel 5
Badge +3
ok Sonos - the ball is firmly in your court now - dont let us down.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
However, am I right in thinking this is only for web apps? The Sonos controller is a native IOS/Android app that uses either the iOS sdk or libspotify tools rather than this. On a positive note, it shows that Spotify are starting to allow third-party access to the Your Music feature. One giant leap for Spotify, one small step for Sonos....
Userlevel 1
Ok so finally we're getting somewhere with the Web API being updated to allow 'Your Music' access and it's also coming to the iOS SDK soon https://twitter.com/SpotifyPlatform/status/496704044887728128

Maybe, just maybe we'll get an update soon from Sonos at least on the iPhone/iPad apps initially once this is released!

It is for web apps, but as far as I can tell your Sonos controller is not the one doing the talking to Spotify, or any other service.  It's the Sonos speakers themselves.  So if my thinking is correct, it could definitely use the Web API.
+1 to the previous comment... I don't think the controllers interact with Spotify directly, they function via an intermediary (a Sonos API) that acts as an abstraction layer between the music provider and the speakers. Depending on the Spotify/Sonos implementation behind the scenes it could very well use the Web API.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Please update the Spotify app in line with the revised Spotify categorisation process.. In the last 6 months Spotify has updated its music library process so you can 'follow' artists and 'save' albums and songs, and as such my playlists are only made for special reasons, I use my Spotify Music Library to scroll through music. I was wondering how long it will be until the SONOS app is updated to this new way of thinking.

In addition your website still refers to 'starring' music and 'playlists', both of which are still possible, but I think Sportify have moved on since these were the only means of storing music preferences.

I would imagine that quite a large number of your customers use services such as Spotify and from my point of view, Im surprised that I am having to write this query and the SONOS app was not updated much sooner.

Any other information that would assist would be well received. Also any guidance would be appreciated, although an app update would be my preference.
A lot of this is too complicated for a non IT person. Sonos highlighted Spotify as a partner and I use it. Why I can't play the albums I have in my "Your Music" folder is a disgrace.
Is there an alternative to Spotify that I can do this with or will Sonos fix this. I know it can't be done overnight but this has gone on over 6 months - shocking!
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Steuart wrote:

A lot of this is too complicated for a non IT person. Sonos highlighted Spotify as a partner and I use it. Why I can't play the albums I have in my "Your Music" folder is a disgrace.
Is there an alternative to Spotify that I can do this with or will Sonos fix this. I know it can't be done overnight but this has gone on over 6 months - shocking!

You can try "Google play music all access", which has tighter integration AND allows you to upload your own music library. Same/similar pricing.
Userlevel 1
Steuart wrote:

You're right that you can try "Google Play Music All Access" but ultimately I like Spotify better.  It has much better social integration and far more playlists than Google has to offer.  
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Steuart wrote:

note - you cant add songs to playlists with google via the sonos app = yet more poor integration !
Userlevel 1
Badge
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Please Add Spotify "Library" feature. I just discovered Spotify's Library feature on the desktop app. I like it. Library is "Music you've starred, imported, bought, or added to a playlist..." Basically, it allows you to browse your music by album, artist, or track in a similar manner that iTunes or Music Library via Sonos Controller allows.

It would be cool if Sonos could locate local files included in the Spotify Library. Even if this is not possible, an internet-streamed-only Library feature would make my day.

Please.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Spotify service is outdated. No support for "Your Music" category of the new Spotify overhaul.. The latest version of Spotify brought a new feature called "Your Music" which allows you to "save" songs and albums to your account. This was added two months ago.

I received my Sonos Play:5, and am very impressed. To my disappointment though, the Sonos Controller on ALL platforms does not let me play music from "Your Music" on Spotify. I'd like to see this updated as it is the primary way of saving music on Spotify now.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
just support Spotify Connect and 'voila' - all Spotify problems and requests solved in one go !
Is there still no movement on this issue?  Everyday I discover new music I like and I have to create a new playlist on spotify and then alphabetize it an extremely long list of other playlists that I've had to do the same for.  It's extremely time consuming.  About once a week I then have to sit down and organize all my Spotify playlists so that I can easily locate them.  The "Your Music" feature in Spotify eliminates the need for any of that.  I've been waiting months for Sonos to to add to the iOS interface.  Any new official updates?

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)