'Your Music' feature on Spotify

Show first post

166 replies

I don't understand the lack of a positive response here Sonos. Technically this is not a complex addition to your offering, if there are commercial sticking points then enlighten your frustrated customers, perhaps it is Spotify that we should be lobbying but with no information we can not know that.

Stick to what you're good at and use the expertise of others to compliment it. Sonos makes superb hardware but slick user interfaces are simply not your thing. Spotify on the other hand... you can see where I'm going with this! The two together would offer a home music system that wipes the floor with anything in the same price range but somewhere along the line one of the companies has gotten greedy, lazy or delusions of abilities beyond their core expertise. Perhaps the next time Spotify and Sonos' top men get around the table they should stop comparing pen*s sizes for a few minutes and work out how to make some money together! The rest of the world can see how easy it would be, why can't you! 

Steven Eerdekens wrote:

I suppose it's just a matter of time.
You can't expect Sonos to implement changes a few days after Spotify did.
But I agree this is basic functionaility. I also converted all my album playlists to 'albums under my music' .
I'm sure they will come up with an update soon.

Just as many others have done, I transferred all my playlists into albums and deleted the playlists to then realise Sonos didn't support. Compatibility with Spotify and the Your Music feature is essential for those spotify subscribers who use Sonos, which surely must be a huge number of users. I truly hope this will be incorporated by Sonos very shortly.
Userlevel 1
Did anyone get the email about the new Controller app coming soon? I thought it was rather ironic that they state ' Our commitment to improving your home listening experience means we’re always looking forward.' - yet they still have no official comms on when it will work seamlessly with Spotify. I hope when they release the new Controller the functions we desire are present but given user feedback on the Android App I won't hold my breath.
I got the email and watched the video. The only 'new' feature I noticed was searching for music across services. Nothing about better support for services, multiple accounts per service, etc. It mostly looked like a form-over-function upgrade to me - fonts, colors, and larger album covers.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
colby_84 wrote:

Did anyone get the email about the new Controller app coming soon? I thought it was rather ironic that they state ' Our commitment to improving your home listening experience means we’re always looking forward.' - yet they still have no official comms on when it will work seamlessly with Spotify. I hope when they release the new Controller the functions we desire are present but given user feedback on the Android App I won't hold my breath.

no, it doesnt include any additional spotify features
How about simply letting me digitally "pipe" the audio output of my Android tablet to an "input" on the Sonos app?  Would be the digital equivalent of the analog inputs on the back of Sonos Connect.  Then i can select the "pipe" input on my Sonos app, and then control what i hear from the Spotify app.  A bit of a quick-and-dirty and NOT the best user experience, but could work for other tablet apps too? ...
Sonos should be a little careful here. They need to come out and say they are going to specifically develop this feature. Sonos is great, but as many a reviewer of there systems has stated it is the combination with Spotify that makes it powerful. Looks like plenty of people migrating to Google play.
Sonos, you're losing valuable business. Your hardware is proprietary so you need to be more transparent with your customers. Just to use the Spotify app, I'm plugging in via line-in on your Play:5 component, essentially reducing your speaker system into a high quality corded solution. This will not do.  
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Sonos has it's faults, but does it really care if you listen via Spotify or Google, or any other service? So long as it's through Sonos it doesn't really need to care which one you use. I was all for Spotify, but giving Google a try and actually rather impressed, especially with the upload library feature; bit like iTunes Match built-in. I suggest you give Google a try at least, I believe for free for a month or 3. I'm not holding out for better Spotify integration.
Userlevel 1
User740479 wrote:

Sonos has it's faults, but does it really care if you listen via Spotify or Google, or any other service? So long as it's through Sonos it doesn't really need to care which one you use. I was all for Spotify, but giving Google a try and actually rather impressed, especially with the upload library feature; bit like iTunes Match built-in. I suggest you give Google a try at least, I believe for free for a month or 3. I'm not holding out for better Spotify integration.

It's very easy to jump ship but that's not going to solve anything.  Consumers should have the freedom to choose a music streaming service that they love and like.  To some people this is Google Play and for others it is Spotify.

For Sonos to become a leading wireless entertainment solution for music etc it needs to better integrate the 3rd party software into the app and allow their customers to use ALL the features that they have to offer.

Not just Spotify but Soundcloud, Last FM etc etc.
User740479 wrote:

Last FM is technically supported, no? Soundcloud, on the other hand, absolutely should be. Without a doubt. Does it come down to licensing?
Userlevel 1
User740479 wrote:

As a free member you can play your own Music Library and friends (Last FM).  However this doesn't seem to be available when I try to do it.  Saying that I am in the UK so not sure how it works internationally 
Steven Eerdekens wrote:

But I agree this is basic functionaility. I also converted all my album playlists to 'albums under my music' .

I really don't see why we have to beg for this.  We have invested alot of money in Sonos, which is wonderful on its own merit.  The ability to maintain an organized list of albums that one likes is something that should be there in any case.  Sonos has the same thing with MOG, and has done so for years.  Finally Spotify has seen the light and it is time for Sonos to take care of this for its customers.
Userlevel 1
I happened to notice a little 'Ideas' section on the Spotify website where people come up with suggestions on how to improve the Spotify service and the more "Kudos' a post gets the more likely they will try to implement the idea.

Someone has already started a post just recently asking for exactly what we need.  Don't suppose everyone fancies visiting it and giving it Kudos.  I'm willing to try anything to get this feature implemented.  

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/quot-Your-Music-quot-Feature-on-Sonos/idi-p/790889

colby_84 wrote:

I happened to notice a little 'Ideas' section on the Spotify website where people come up with suggestions on how to improve the Spotify service and the more "Kudos' a post gets the more likely they will try to implement the idea.

Someone has already started a post just recently asking for exactly what we need.  Don't suppose everyone fancies visiting it and giving it Kudos.  I'm willing to try anything to get this feature implemented.  

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/quot-Your-Music-quot-Feature-on-Sonos/idi-p/790889

Good idea, I've done that. In a way, being able to access Spotify's "Your Music" from Sonos is more important for Spotify than it is for Sonos: Sonos users will easier switch to another music provider (e.g. Google) than buy new music hardware.
Steven Eerdekens wrote:

I does feel like begging doesn't it? Not one decent response from Sonos is just goading me to look at alternatives. I have to kit out a whole 3 story house soon after the renovations finish. I get the feeling Sonos are being very stubborn about this which just P**ses me off.
Steven Eerdekens wrote:

2 things ....

1) Sonos official response missing
This is my first and most important concern. The absence of any useful response is really showing how little they are prepared to listen.

2) Spotify
Spotify is one of the most important services in the Sonos family and the feature(s) missing is key spotify features. The reasons for Sonos not implementing could be many so it doesnt make sense. It might be Spotify Api which stops the feature from being implemented.  But Sonos should make a statement...

My solution? Well I'm Sonos (cant replace that) but luckily it was possible to replace Spotify (with rdio.com)

best
Jesper
Steven Eerdekens wrote:

Are you happy with rdio.com? Is it a good substitute? I'm struggling with the decision, because I really like Spotify's desktop and iOS applications... 
Steven Eerdekens wrote:

Not sure if what works for me works for you - but I'm overly happy with rdio.com which have the same apps and main features. I actually prefer rdio's more simplistic but yet very powerful user interface. Works like a wiki with music.

And when my mom comes around she can find her music collection on my sonos (rdio followers)...  

Steven Eerdekens wrote:

Sounds good - thanks for your response! I think I'll give it a try... 
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Why doesn't the Spotify option show the 'Your Music' section where downloaded albums are stored?. Your Music has replaced starring in Spotify, however Sonos does not recognise the Your Music option.
As you can no longer star a track or album, any downloads will be inaccessible on Sonos.
Steven Eerdekens wrote:

Just wanted to chip in this seems pretty essential to me. Please consider implementing asap
I'm getting bored of following this thread to be honest, as it seems that Sonos have no intention of firstly listening to what it's customers want and secondly actually doing anything about this issue. I've tried Google Play and although it was as good as Spotify in many ways, the download feature was poor and seems to take ages, so now I have no choice than to just stick with Spotify. Luckily I only have 1 Sonos speaker (I had planned to get more) so at least I can just get rid and buy a bluetooth speaker, which although won't be as good quality, it will allow me to do what I want without having to have lengthly conversations about controllers that don't get me anywhere! Real shame as I love the Sonos concept, it's just a pity the execution and customer service is so sh*t poor.
The only reason that Sonos would be ignoring Spotify (while implementing Google Play preferentially) is if they are in line for acquisition by Google. Considering Google's recent acquisition of Nest and Apple's acquisition of Beats Music, I predict we will see this happen soon.
+1 for this. I won't be using other services, and would be willing to drop the speakers if my content isn't available on them. I'm sure that others have similar feelings.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)