Yonomi/IFTTT

• 15 November 2016
  • 4 replies

I was doing a little research on Sonos and Amazon Echo integration. Most of the articles talk about how Sonos will support Alexa in 2017. That the integration will be impressive and the two services will work seamlessly. The thing is, I've already found two ways to get Sonos working with Alexa right now.

IFTTT; If This Then That:
Offers users a way to integrate various web based services together in really dynamic ways. Put simply can create simple recipes made of two ingredients.
A) The Trigger 😎 The Action. For example; if it rains, text me a message that's raining outside.
I saw a few recipes on IFTTT for controlling sonos, but there is one major issue with IFTTT at this time. If I use Alexa to send a command via IFTTT it can take quite a while to arrive on the other end. First Alexa interprets my voice command, then it gets sent to IFTTT's servers, IFTTT then tells the desired service to activate. This can take a lot longer than you might expect.

The other option that I found is called Yonomi. Unlike IFTTT, Yonomi is based in your local network. It allows you to add multiple actions to a single trigger and even creates virtual devices that can be operated by Alexa locally. Instead of having to start my voice commands with "trigger" as you have to with IFTTT. You simply have to tell Alexa to turn on the virtual device. I call them program instead of recipes since you can attach several actions to a trigger. At this time I have created enough commands to completely control my sonos devices by voice.

At this time I am experimenting with syncing Lifx color smart bulbs with my sonos. I am currently able to say, "Alexa, turn on Soul Lounge." The result is that the lights change to red and blue and my Play 5 starts playing a spotify playlist entitles Soul Lounge. While I cannot play any song or playlist that I want on whatever speaker that I want. I can create the illusion that I can do so.

If anyone sees this and wants to see more let me know. I've got video of Alexa running my Soul Lounge Program.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Sure, lots of us have tried Yonomi. Very basic on/off functionality of predefined playlists.

AVS is capable of much more, such as searching for an artist/album/song on a specific service, adding it to a playlist, and playing it. Sonos' integration will no doubt also include grouping, "follow me", etc. Will be well worth the wait. I expect Sonos will also focus on latency and security, not a strong point of IFTTT.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
all I would like to do is find a way to say, "Alexa, play x on Dining Sonos" "x" being an album, artist, song or playlist in my local Music Library. I really put a lot into my collection and don't care to have another Web service dictate what my playlist should be. Can someone point me to where I can educate myself in accomplishing this? Keep in mind that I am a 75 year old semi IT literate.
Sure, lots of us have tried Yonomi. Very basic on/off functionality of predefined playlists.

AVS is capable of much more, such as searching for an artist/album/song on a specific service, adding it to a playlist, and playing it. Sonos' integration will no doubt also include grouping, "follow me", etc. Will be well worth the wait. I expect Sonos will also focus on latency and security, not a strong point of IFTTT.

Is AVS Alexa Voice Service? If so, it cannot replace Yonomi yet?

Is there another similar app that could control Sonos? I installed Yonomi, but it crashes.

I’m looking for a SIMPLE Echo voice command to ask Play5 to play Sonos’ Favorite songs.

Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Today we just announced that IFTTT and Sonos have been integrated and you might find some options there to get what you're looking for accomplished. Take a look at our announcement post.