Yet Another EQ Question

• 22 February 2021
  • 2 replies

Has Sonos ever provided an explanation for remaining stubbornly opposed to providing at least a 5- or 7-band user controlled EQ in the app? Online searches reveal a fair amount of discussion of this topic over the years, but I can’t seem to find any definitive explanation from Sonos - just a lot of talk about Trueplay, which really doesn’t do it for me.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I’d guess that the reason that they have not is that market research shows that it’s a feature that few people will actually use?

The midrange headunit in my car has a 5-band graphic equaliser - I never use it.

The main reason that I don’t is that if I were to make one music track sound perfect by fiddling with the EQ settings, the next track would probably sound terrible. There is just too much variation in the way that the final mix of each piece of music is done to make that level of fiddling worthwhile, IMO.

And, of course, it would take Sonos further away from any “audpiophile” status. To a typical audiophile, even bass and treble controls are viewed as “downmarket” - a top class system should need no such controls, apparently. Having said that, they have probably blown it anyway by having a “Loudness” button!

No.