Question

Yesterdays (March 11th, 2016) Sonos Anouncment

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Not as much talk about yesterdays sonos anouncment as I would have expected from such a passionate community. So what are people thinking?

Obviously Amazon Echo has impacted SONOS but how do you go from hiring new people and planning a retail store to cutting staff?

What's next ? Should we be concered about making more current investments in sonos hardware (I really want to buy a sub)?

People have been posting for months about voice support and for years about DTS.

The standard response is sonos doesn't comment on future enhancements or new products.

We know what we have today and there pretty darn good products but we all want to be excited and look forward to what's coming next.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

112 replies

Why would they need to support another API if the Alexa tech is embedded in the Sonos devices? There would be no need.
Userlevel 2
Badge +7
If the Alexa tech is embedded, this would be for a new series of Sonos products - as unlikely this could be retro-fitted .... this would leave some millions of existing installations out in the cold - so an integration with one (or many) other providers via some form (or forms) of API may provide a shorter time to market for voice control over Sonos..... maybe they could integrate it within the Sonos app on your phone - as this already has a microphone.

It is all guesswork to those outside of Sonos at the moment.
Well, the Play:5 Gen 2 has microphones. But yes, the rest would have to be retrofitted, or Sonos would have to come out with an Echo Dot type standalone microphone array.
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
Well, the Play:5 Gen 2 has microphones. But yes, the rest would have to be retrofitted, or Sonos would have to come out with an Echo Dot type standalone microphone array.

Why not just integrate with the Echo Dot?

I'm speculating they will. However, techies can be pretty fickle. For those who are loathe to purchase an extra piece from someone else, or are anti-Amazon, or are against (to use an old SE phrase) "hanging a bag off the box", incorporating the Alexa tech into future hardware is an elegant solution.

As an aside, I (and others) find it interesting that a recent job listing at Sonos has "microphone array" experience as a desired skill, whereas there are no listings desiring voice recognition. Seems to point to the hardware being done in house and the voice recognition itself being pre-packaged.

Again, all speculation on my part.
Userlevel 6
Badge +8

For those who are loathe to purchase an extra piece from someone else, or are anti-Amazon, or are against (to use an old SE phrase) "hanging a bag off the box", incorporating the Alexa tech into future hardware is an elegant solution.

Agreed, but for those of us with a lot of current Sonos hardware, the Echo Dot makes the most sense.
Have done a bit of reading on Amazon Voice Service. Looks like Amazon has built in a major restriction: 3rd party products need to activate the service using a button press, not by speaking "Alexa". That's a major roadblock for Sonos adopting AVS. It would require the end user to purchase an Echo or Dot for the full voice command experience.
Google just opened access to its speech recognition API, a more generalized API than AVS, but interesting. I developed a large traffic information system for a large state using the Nuance engine in the "cloud" (actually well before the word "cloud" was in general use), so this stuff is interesting to me. VXML and grammars back then, none of this "skills" stuff, lol.

http://techcrunch.com/2016/03/23/google-opens-access-to-its-speech-recognition-api-going-head-to-head-with-nuance/
Frankly surprised Sonos has ruled out SoundHound. It's amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=M1ONXea0mXg
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hey must be pretty impressed with echo. I have been impressed if it just had more skills. Compared to Siri and the like Amazon still falls behind. Although seems to be catching up quickly and the stand alone device does make a difference. I have my dot on way to compliment the full echo. It wasn't much use to me until I integrated it with my Smartthings routines. It will do play and stop on Sonos for me in addition to much of my home automation. Flexibility and relying on one voice device instead of many seems to be key and being open source Amazon has started a nice ecosystem
My speculation:

Sonos will use an existing voice enablement service; it would take years to develop their own. Likely Houndify, which is as capable as Alexa.
https://www.houndify.com/

They will sell a standalone microphone array device, small and possibly portable, so it could also be used for room tuning. Later, they will integrate microphone array into new/refreshed speaker line.

They will begin to work with one of the home automation providers, probably one that already integrates with the voice service they choose.

Interesting. So you think Sonos is going whole hog in taking on Amazon instead of utilizing the Echo/Alexa interface. Ambitious take. I can see it happening, but will/can they be that bold? One thing I do agree, they are going to use/aquire outside tech. There's no way they can start from scratch. Which may be why they are cleaning up, it could be opening up space (financial and work space) for new talent. It may be that the base tech is pretty set, and new blood is needed.

Well, I was WAY wrong on this speculation two years ago. @jgatie was correct, they went with Alexa, not Houndify. I did get the part about the new speaker(s) with integrated mics correct, though! ;)

What I MEANT to say back then was that PANDORA was going to integrate Houndify. :D

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/01/15/pandora-app-gets-voice-controls-powered-by-soundhound/

Well, I was WAY wrong on this speculation two years ago. @jgatie was correct, they went with Alexa, not Houndify. I did get the part about the new speaker(s) with integrated mics correct, though! ;)

What I MEANT to say back then was that PANDORA was going to integrate Houndify. :D

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/01/15/pandora-app-gets-voice-controls-powered-by-soundhound/

I honestly don't care to have a nother voice control thing on my phone. Alexa, Google, and Bixby is more than enough. I rarely use the Pandora app directly, but when I do, i can't imagine I'll be using voice control.

As for Sonos going with Houndify, I wouldn't be too surprise they eventually adopt some sort of 3rd party voice assistant at somepoint in the future. Amazon and Google don't/can't give Sonos all the music related features that they would want, and also tend to push Sonos in directions they don't want to go. A 3rd party option could be very useful if gives Sonos the flexiblity to get voice control features that fit their system better.